Page 52 of 67 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
    Hello all, my name is Tyler and I'm new. I'm 27, I read lots of sci-fi, and I attempt to write it from time to time. I draw comics (many of them on my site www.tylerstafford.com) and am currently working on a sci-fi/fantasy graphic novel. I've written a few prose stories (to completion that is) and a novella, all unpublished and unread by anyone by me. Well, I let my wife read one of them a long time ago. I'm currently unemployed and finding myself with lots of time work on my numerous unfinished projects.

favorite writers include Philip K Dick, Stanley G Weinbaum, and Robert E Howard. I guess its something to do with middle initials.

H'lo, all. Name's Roscoe. I'm currently living in the dystopian cyberpunk future (also known as Shenzhen, China) and putting together an epress called Glorious Dawn Press. That's in between baking, brewing, gardening, majoring in Sociology, looking for love and teaching English to businessmen. Oh, right, and the writing, too. :P

I write horror (about Buddhist beatnik vampires of 1955 San Francisco), science fiction (about how much an "I know kung fu" box would **** up the martial arts world), fantasy (about the Chinese Cultural Revolution lining up the Eight Immortals of Taoism by the wall and shooting each and every one of the reactionary imperialist bastards before hunting down Green Snake), mundane SF (about the coming graduation riots in America, a no-woman's-land in China, and the universality of English), and the occasional bout of magical realism. I also do historicals, romances, and erotica.

My favorite authors inside the genre are Frank Herbert, Alfred Bester, Ray Bradbury, Neal Stephenson, Philip K. Dick, Kim Stanley Robinson, K. J. Bishop, Neil Gaiman, and Audrey Niffeneger. Outside the genre, Jack Kerouac, Victor Hugo, Alexandre Dumas, Gabriel Garcia-Marquez, Jorge-Luis Borges, Eileen Chang and Bill Shakespeare.

Blog Entries
    Hi, Roscoe. Welcome aboard.
    I write fantasy/detective novels - and read everything, from fantasy and detective to SF to nonfiction (history and science being my two favorite subjects).

Rock Star Extraordinaire Atreyu's Avatar
    My name is Ryan and I live in Seattle Wa. I love all kinds of literature, but mostly fantasy. The more epic the story the better. Medieval over dnd style, but I do love me some Drizz't!! George RR Martin - A Song Of Ice And Fire is what got me into the genre away from horror and I must say that I picked a doozey for my first fantasy. Uber excited for ADWD!!! How many people will re-read the first 4 before ADWD comes out to refresh the memory after, what, 5 years? longer? I sure hope he doesn't pull a Robert Jordan on us before he finishes. I also must say that I loved the SOT series, even though some of the books were unnecessary and ridiculous. I see he not popular here, but I say, to each their own!!

So far I have been treated very well and the discussions have been great! Thank you for the warm welcome and I look forward to being around awhile.

My recent forum was one dedicated to Dean Koontz. It is a ghost town now and I was always treated like an idiot there. No respect.

Anyways, good to meet y'all and I look forward to talking about books with you.

Ryan

Reposted cause I'm blind!!! Lol. Doh.

Hello Ryan and welcome to the boards.

I'm Kit, I've been wandering around here for a little while and decided to stop by and introduce myself. I read some of almost everything, I don't read much horror, I'm too suggestible. I've tried writing, but keep throwing things away as not good enough. I have now decided to write the story I've been working on start to finish, with a no trashing policy. I love to edit, though, and clearly, I love to talk.

Blog Entries
    I have been wandering these cyber halls for far too long reading and learning all I can about writing/publishing in the SF world. I ,like all of you, fancy myself a bit of a creative genius and just like all of you know ,with the certainty of an insane man, that I will undoubtedly become recognized, for my sheer brilliance of the written word, and become published. After having my first novel become a NY times best seller i will become super rich and help Fillion bring firefly back
    Although I know this all to become true, now I must suffer the unforgiving torture of time so for now I wait, but not idly, as we speak I have millions of ideas and even a few stories started. As it turns out I come to this forum in need of help, not with an idea but with the formation of memories

I'm looking for,as i mentioned, early childhood experiences that you would think most Americans share. I want this to not be a story of one man but though his memoir he would be the embodiment of his generation, the ppl becoming adults today 17-20, so if you could come up with some experiences that would be great. also, if you have any tips they would be much appreciated also.

As I write this I am twenty years of age, I have experienced more through the course of my life than men twice my age. This book is an account of my life up until year twenty, but do not assume that my lack of age will cause this book to diminish in size, as I have previously mentioned I have experienced quite a lot despite my young age.
    Letís see, where does one start an autobiography? I would imagine that most would start the story of their lives from the beginning, but in truth this is probably the worst place to start, I imagine I could start from the present and flash back to the beginning, but what purpose would this serve? I actually could care less how others have started their memoirs, this is the story of my life as told by me so I will do what I damn well please.
    This is how I will tell my story; I will begin by describing the setting of my early childhood and eventually progress to my troubled years as a teen and eventually to my adult life, which for the purpose of this book will include the ages seventeen through twenty. My life throughout these memoirs will be divided into three parts, or acts, each beginning and ending with a monumental transformation that will easily transition into the next phase. At the conclusion of each part, act, I will look back upon many of the choices I made and give the perspective of how I feel about these actions now. I mention a few stories thought out the course of these memoirs that I have included as an appendix, these stories are in no way a requirement to gain more from the story.
    I do not deem it necessary for the reader to know the where and when this story takes place but itís safe to assume that the events throughout these memoirs have happened during your life time. I can attest to the fact that the events in my childhood may not be correctly written exactly how they unfolded at the time they occurred, for as I have recently learned events that shape my reality are not always the way I perceive them to be, so I would imagine if this is true of me now then this was certainly true of me then.

My earliest memory of childhood would be the morning I was woken by the screams of my Grandmother upon waking and finding her love, my grandfather, lying motionless beside her. I must admit as a result of this being my earliest memory it is also my foggiest. I seem to remember after waking up I ran to where I heard my grandmother screaming, which had stopped by this point, to see her sitting at the end of her bed motionless with her arms crossed in front of her chest.

Blog Entries
    I also want to add a quick note, if it is unclear what period in time im wanting this story to take place, it is set in todays time within the past twenty or so years.

Hello, I be new.

Just noticed this. I've been posting since December. But I'll participate.

Hi! My name is Van. I am thirsty. For books. For knowledge... for booze.

I joined this board a few months ago because I don't actually know alot of readers. My family members read standard fiction and some sci-fi, but not really fantasy. I have a couple of friends that read what I tell them, and really no more than a few books a year.

So I am not ashamed to say, I was growing somewhat desperate for conversation about the books I love. And maybe for some recommendations as well, though I think the board has covered that for me very well by now.

I'm not going to go through and list all the books I've read, but suffice it to say if it's massively popular I've probably read it, or it's on my list to read soon. Particularly the big series, except Malazan which I haven't gotten around to yet and Sword of Truth which I just can't do. I've never made it more than half way through that book. It's just not good.

As for me, I am a late 20's soon to be early 30's father of 2 little girls and soon to be a father of one little baby boy. Their mother and I are engaged, and will probably be married this year. I've been an avid reader since I was a small child, starting adult novels (Jurassic Park was the first grown up novel I ever read) in 4th grade. I was the kid with his nose buried in a book in class. That trend has never wavered, though these days I do more audio books / ebooks on my iPhone and Kindle than anything, and most of my actual reading is news

As for my tastes, I love fantasy obviously, and some sci-fi. I really love the genre of sci-fi, but I have a harder time finding books I am interested in reading for some reason. Horror (no King, please), Mystery, Thriller, Comics, etc. etc. etc. I read a ton. But when looking for something new to read, I always look for fantasy first.

Anyway, that's me. I am more of a lurker than anything, and a smart ass besides, so you will usually see my posts are short sarcastic comments. I don't really like to argue points of opinion though I will if pressed I guess. And I don't mind joining in a fan boy circle jerk from time to time (are you excited about the next Dresden book? ME TOO!! LETS TALK ABOUT HOW EXCITED WE ARE!!!!!!!)

How am I supposed to end this? See you around? Talk to you later? Oh! I know!

Hello, all, I'm Justin. I'm 33, married, with a 5 year old daughter, and I live between Houston and Galveston Texas working as a power plant operator.

I got into reading fantasy in elementary school (mid 80's), and branched out into sf around the beginning of high school (early 90's). I found a link to this site on the message board for the Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, and decided to poke around a bit. I've always lived pretty well outside of regular fan circles, and I think some regular contact with co-enthusiasts might be nice. See y'all around.

Hello again!

I used to post around here many moons ago (circa 2005) but got distracted by, y'know, stuff. Started doing a bit of writing again and was reminded of what a good place this place is for aspiring writers. So here I am.

I actually have a couple of short stories posted on the site, and some poetry. Here's one that I wrote a long time ago:

http://www.sffworld.com/community/story/653p0.html

I mainly read/write sci-fi, but I like some fantasy too.

Look forward to chatting with y'all.

Welcome everyone. Nice to meet you.

Here is a cat.

Any questions?

No, but seriously, these boards are wonderful, interlectual/education and entertaining. Nice choice in joining up.

I've been looking for a good, active, book forum for a while and this place seems to fit the bill. So I joined.

I live near Edmonton, AB with my BF, our four spoiled cats, two leopard geckos, four toads, and two betta fish. I work part time at a library (my long time dream job), and part time at a PetSmart (which I'm leaving).

That pretty well sums me up... lol.

Kentucky-born, Portland-based comic book writer. I work at the largest new and used bookstore in America---Powells City of Books