Page 55 of 67 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
    I would like to say hi to all the Newbies!
    I've been away for a while, but I hope I will have time to get on here now and again...sales are going well, and the second book is in the works!

Good luck to all you writers and Happy Reading!

Quote Originally Posted by Glen View Post
    Hello There. I'm logged in as Glen - and that's my name. I'm here to see what's happening in the SFF world for interest's sake, and also to help me work out ways of marketing my own SFF comedy novel.
    Hi Glen-- Welcome to the boards. Marketing, per se, is not encouraged on SFFWorld, but you are indeed encouraged to provide a link to your homepage with your personal info. That way, anyone who is interested in your comments or questions can check you out... but the choice is theirs. Check with moderators Hobbit & KatG if the Terms of Use don't cover your specific questions.

There are threads under the Writers & Writing section that maintain fairly regular dialogue on promotion and marketing ideas.

First idea is free: I took a peek at your Amazon listing. The book could really use full color graphics, a real eye-grabber for a cover. Many ebook authors put a full week of effort into creating a cover design; either that, or they hire it out.

Best of luck -- WB

Hey there. The name's Chris. I dabble in writing, occasionally... one day, I'd like to make a career out of it. For the moment, though, I'm finishing college (after a five-year hiatus) and working on getting my Bachelors' in Geology.

ex-self-published writer returns

Greetings,

I have abstained from message boards for the past five years, so this feels a bit awkward. The reason for my absence was my terrible experience with self-publishing. Honestly, it was my worst life experience, worse than my first breakup. I suppose you could say I am an overly sensitive person and was not quite thick-skinned enough to take criticism. I also learned the hard way that self-publishing is a great way to sell 30 or so books, so if you're dreaming higher, you may need to just suck it up and let publishers take an ax to your work. After a somewhat disappointing experience, I went back to the drawing board---so to speak---and rewrote my 500 page book from scratch. In case you are wondering, I AM NOT going down that old route; I am seeking to get on the shelf with the big boys. So don't ask, I am not here to sell anything.

What I would enjoy is some enlightened discussion about writing, the fantasy/sci-fi genre, and fiction in general. I love fantasy and sci-fi but I read every genre. I have also been writing for 30 years and I take my work very seriously. If you're as serious and passionate about the craft, I'd love to swap notes. If it's one thing I've learned about this business, it's good to make connections.

If you so desire, you can find me on Facebook under my name, or you can visit my blog about writing: http://writersdisease.blogspot.com/

I will try not to be a troll but I am a parent of two and a business owner, so my time is very limited.

Thanks for your time,
    Nick Alimonos

Blog Entries

hi all

i'm a newbie

favourite authors; iain m banks, alistair reynolds, china mieville, ian mcdonald

favourite films; hellboy, dark knight, alien, lotr, the thing, bribe of frankenstein

favourite tv; dr who esp. baker, pertwee; star trek os, babylon 5, quantum leap

would love to get any recommendations. quite happy to get out my comfort zone

thanks for reading this

tolerance and peace

ubergeek

Welcome, ubergeek!! Good to meet you.

Hi Ubergeek

Like your reading choices, welcome.

Interested in the plot of the "Bribe of Frankenstein" :-P

Blog Entries
    hi violent emesis and delmak o.

thanks for your greetings!

delmako; bride of frankenstein

in a nutshell, dr septimus pretorios [ love it ] and the monster encourage dr frankenstein to make a mate for said monster. don't think i'll ruin it by saying they are successful.

it is the first sequel to the original film and probably the best of the series. some critics say it's james whale's [director] masterpiece.

every time i see it i enjoy different things. gothic tones, angry villagers, tongue in cheek comedy, and of course the obligatory bad weather! and look out for possibly the most ridiculous hairstyle ever on film

re authors i like.

have you read ian mcdonald's dervish house? best book i read for a while. i found it a struggle to get into but it was well worth the effort. i read somewhere he's sold the film rights. in the hands of a good director it could be something special.

tolerance and peace

ubergeek

Sorry ubergeek I was being a little bit frivolous at the typo in your post.

I love these older horror films and sci-fi.

Blog Entries
    ok delmak o, didn't really appreciate your attempt at frivolity but it's ok. i'd appreciate comments or recommendations on authors, films or tv.

Hello...newbie here

Just started getting into fantasy. So far I've read the first five books in the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, but got bored with them part way through the sixth. I'll probably go back and finish them eventually.

Right now I'm reading through the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I'm on the third book and I'm quite impressed with the series so far. I am enjoying it much more than the Sword of Truth books. All for now!

Quote Originally Posted by Agassizii View Post
    Hello...newbie here

Just started getting into fantasy. So far I've read the first five books in the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, but got bored with them part way through the sixth. I'll probably go back and finish them eventually.

Right now I'm reading through the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I'm on the third book and I'm quite impressed with the series so far. I am enjoying it much more than the Sword of Truth books. All for now!
    Seems like more stuff happened in Sword of truth. They can get pretty darn preachy though. The last three books do tie it up though and i liked the closure.

Robert Jordan's books are good. Haven't read the new two yet but getting there.

Oh and Hello. I'm new. I read a lot of different things. Some good and some bad. Pretty much if it has a space ship or wizard in it I'll at least give it a try.

I am a regular poster on a couple of occupation oriented website and would like to join a more informal and recreational board...can't wait to get started and I hope I can contribute.

Hi,
    This is Pattinson! i am new here, its a great forum, i think i can learn a lot in this forum.Hope it will b a great pleasure to be a member of this site. This is really a good thing that a specific thread has been already here for the new comers to introduce. Will meet all of you in discussions. I'm positively looking forward to the forum and its members hope all will guide, share and help me to increase my knowledge.

ged schools

Hi Pattinson

Enjoy your stay at SFF World

Hi,

I'm new around here and just wanted to say "hello". Looking forward to discussing Sci-Fi and Fantasy topics here.

Navik