Page 56 of 67 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
    Science-Fantasy Zealot symbolhunter's Avatar
    Hello everyone. I am a science fiction and fantasy fan of long standing. I grew up on the anthologies of Groff Conklin and the Healy and McComas volume Adventures in Time and Space.. I think the latter is still eminently readable and indeed it contains some classics. Of the "Golden Age" writers, my particular favourite is William Tenn whose irony still works. Heinlein, Asimov, Henry Kuttner and Theodore Sturgeon are others I enjoy. I've always liked space opera and in my opinion I think that James H. Schmitz made some great contributions to that genre.

Of modern writers i really enjoy C.J.Cherryh--especially the Chanur Saga, Neal Asher, Alastair Reynolds, Iain Banks, and the various Dozois anthologies.

My tastes are probably dated by the standards of most on this board but I hope to learn and perhaps contribute a bit.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My tastes are probably dated by the standards of most on this board
    Welcome, symbolhunter!

No: I think you'll be surprised at the range of ages here. There are some 'Old Ones', too!

I grew up on the anthologies of Groff Conklin and the Healy and McComas volume Adventures in Time and Space.. I think the latter is still eminently readable and indeed it contains some classics.
    I've got a copy of that one too. It is a classic. Like the Campbell Analog Reader too and I have a few of the Conklins.

Of the "Golden Age" writers, my particular favourite is William Tenn whose irony still works.
    Coincidence: currently writing a review of 'Of Men and Monsters' which is just about to be reissued here in the UK.

Of modern writers i really enjoy C.J.Cherryh--especially the Chanur Saga, Neal Asher, Alastair Reynolds, Iain Banks, and the various Dozois anthologies.
    Definite fans of those here.

Mark
    Mark

Banned
    Hello good fellows. Apparently one needs to register to search these good Forums, Thus I am born.

Blog Entries

_ Greetings

hi all, nice 2b here, everyone is so polite here at this site, thxs

Last edited by noori noori; August 18th, 2011 at 03:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries
    Hi all, I guess I'm the last person to be added to this club.

I have searched everywhere but I can't find a help section, and I checked the FAQ without success.

I want to post some of my short stories and poems I have written down on paper but would like to store them on the net. But I can't find where it will allow me to add them.

Any help?

Blog Entries
    i know pi2105, u could start your SFFWORLD.COM BLOG from your homepage. does that help ? u could upload your writing there once u have created the Blog ! as im still New myself i have n't had reason to ask for help yet, so i cant help with the other part re .. of your question

Blog Entries
    pj2105 - If you go to the writing forum there is a stories section that can only be seen by signed in members. People usually post things there if they want a little bit of crit or help. If you're not looking for help or you want the public to read it create a blog through sfworld or any of the other blog sites.

Hi all newbies. Nice to meet you.

Hi! I'm new. I found this forum while poking around Abercrombie's website. I haven't read his work but plan to.

Anyway, I couldn't stop reading. This site sucked me in like a giant vortex of awesomeness.

Hope to get to know some of you over time.

Blog Entries
    Hi CrastersBabies, greetings _
    Last edited by noori noori; August 18th, 2011 at 02:26 AM. Reason: spelling

Hi Noori! I have a friend in Riyadh. I have to say, the things she tells me about the heat is enough to melt me where I live in Colorado.

I hope you stay cool where you are. Go sit by the air conditioner for me so I don't have to think of you sweltering.

Blog Entries

horizontal freezers

im actually in europe at present [on business] CrastersBabies, i travel with my job. yes the heat is somethin' else. we have lots of air-conditioning, you're right. and every bit of food in the kitchens, is in the horizontal-freezers .. !!!

Last edited by noori noori; August 18th, 2011 at 02:20 AM. Reason: spelling

Smile Hello

Hope I'm hitting the right post button...

Hi, just joined and its a pleasure to meet you all! I'm looking for book recommendations and I want to join a community of like-minded people. I'm a cyberpunk and steampunk fan (space epics too) - and really want to know what you guys think is the best to read currently out there. Read pretty much all of Gibson's stuff and Iain M. Banks (preferred the culture books). Now I need my horizons expanding. Please help oh' knowledgeable community.

Quote Originally Posted by ZebraG View Post
    Hope I'm hitting the right post button...

Hi, just joined and its a pleasure to meet you all! I'm looking for book recommendations and I want to join a community of like-minded people. I'm a cyberpunk and steampunk fan (space epics too) - and really want to know what you guys think is the best to read currently out there. Read pretty much all of Gibson's stuff and Iain M. Banks (preferred the culture books). Now I need my horizons expanding. Please help oh' knowledgeable community.
    Welcome ZebraG. I'm sure youll find this board to your liking. If it is reccomendations you're after there is a thread for that.

http://sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4986

Check it out.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Welcome ZebraG. I'm sure youll find this board to your liking. If it is reccomendations you're after there is a thread for that.

http://sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4986

Check it out.

Jim
    Thanks Jim

* Update: I've ordered Blindsight having looked at that forum
    Last edited by ZebraG; August 22nd, 2011 at 02:51 PM.

Registered User ChristianMatari's Avatar
    Hi everyone. It's great to be here!