Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Website and essay

Dear all, I have rejigged my website for the New Year, just because I was tired of the old one. Sharp eyed readers will notice that there are no more links to sample chapters , but before you all start putting sorceries on me, I have thought about you sffworld people - you can still access them through a direct link here. They are now secret, for those in the know - my publishers were getting a bit nervous about them. I should tell you that there's a new first chapter to The Singing, which I think is pretty cool, but you won't get a looksee until the book comes out.

Meanwhile, for those of a more serious disposition, I've uploaded an essay I wrote about fantasy a couple of years ago which you might find interesting. Some of you might have seen it, but I'd forgotten all about it. You can find it here.

wow so cool!!i love the essay, and OMG im the first reply to this
    is the new first chapter differant then (on the direct link) or am i just imagining things
    i love the lire picture too

Yes, it's a completely new chapter, but what follows it is pretty much as is. The book actually begins slightly earlier. And it makes the whole book a chapter longer!

Idon'tknowwhatthatmeans. Mistress Maerad's Avatar
    Ack! A new chapter? What is this black magic?

"What black magic so you bring into this house..." or something to that effect. Eh, I might as well go read the sample chappies again....even though they have been changed....

Blog Entries
    Wow.
    A new chapter!

Yaay.
    I can't wait 'till September.
    Biggest date of my year: The release of The Singing.

I'll have to read the essay later.

wooooooooooooooo, more of the singing!!!

read a load of the essay; it's good. i've not finished yet but if i don't get on with this it won't know what i've read (does that p*** anyone else off??)

Fan of too much to name
    wow...that essay is a really good read. I dont see how you stopped DWMG, i couldnt.
    That really is fantastic, once again i envy your ability to write...i just cant seem to do it

i am completely with you rph_1990, curse you lack of umm ____word here____ (and lack of vocabulary )
    yah alison can you give me writing tips, i need them
    LOL DWMG i love your new avatar (sorry about the off topicness), THE NEW CHAPTER ROOLES

Love the essay. Explains clearly and beautifully your opinion-- an opinion that I happen to agree with.

Forever hoping,Forever. xxPellinoriaxx's Avatar
    Good job Alison!

Fan of too much to name
    Quote Originally Posted by Esaay
    The realism is an enabling device which then permits the real business of fantasy to take place.
    Quote Originally Posted by essay
    It may be the most fleeting of experiences, but it does indeed provide a glimpse of possibility, and it is moving because it is a possibility which in fact exists within our own realities. If fantasy isn't true, it is also, most certainly, not a lie.
    fantasy, for all its mystery and magic, is not irrational, not the stuff of delirium or dream. Like poetry, it depends on, and in fact requires, a sure sense of rationality. Without a clear perception of the real world, fantasy of the kind I am describing is not possible.
    Fantasy is not an evasion of reality, so much as an enabler of it
    All my favourite lines from what you have written there (there was another, but it was a section from Tolkiens work (assuming im reading the structure correctly) work so it cant come under my favourite of your writing)

All those quotes sum up exactly how i percieve fantasy, and you managed to put the words perfectly in the second of my quotes, although all of these are ones i can relate too, although unlike you i couldnt have written it down
    Last edited by roberth; January 29th, 2008 at 01:01 PM.

it kinda reminds me of my friends philosophy "theres no such thing as not existing because if it exists in your mind then it exists"

A small room off the corridor of sanity :D
    Blog Entries
    Just because you dont know it exsists doesnt mean i doesnt....Dont forget that we dont see Santa or the Easter bunny and they exist!!

A big bunny going into people's houses to hid their decorated eggs, yeah right.

hey are you questioning the easter bunny remember if you dont believe he'll give eggs that hatch into lizards and eat all your cherry pie you've been warned
    and then joey exits , he's a little stick figure thats about 6 inches tall and sits on my shoulder, he also plays with my friends stick figure named leo (or jimmy but it prefers leo)