Hunter's Run -- anyone reading it?

Martin co-wrote this with Gardner Dozois and Daniel Abraham.

It's set on another planet. Humans (and many alien races) have colonized all over the universe, and humans aren't as special (or as advanced) as they thought.

The main character is a prospector, an anti-social type with a bad temper. When the book starts, he's killed someone important and has to head for the hills. While prospecting in uncharted territory, he discovers an alien race. (Alien to him -- maybe they're native, I don't know yet.)

He's captured by the aliens and forced to help one of them search for another man. Apparently the aliens don't want to be discovered.

I'm enjoying it. I don't read much SF, but I've always liked books where humans meet up with other beings.

Should we be upset that Martin spent time on this book when he should have been writing more ASOIAF?

Gardnzer Dozois wrote his contribution to the book in 1977. GRRM wrote his contribution in 1981. Abraham wrote his contribution in 2004 and then re-wrote and expanded the whole novel by himsef. So it didn't take GRRM away from ADWD at all

So this book has been in the works for 30 years? Cool.

My review:

Hunter's Run is an unusual book. Gardner Dozois started writing it in 1977 but got stuck, so passed it over to George RR Martin, who wrote an additional block of the story in 1981 before getting stuck himself. In 2003 or thereabouts, the aborted story was finally completed by Daniel Abraham and published in novella form the following year as Shadow Twin. Now Abraham has gone back and re-structured the story as a full-length novel, a story some thirty years in the making.

The planet is San Paolo. Ramon Espejo, a colonist from Mexico, has killed a man in a bar fight and fled into the wilderness to evade justice. In a remote mountain range he uncovers a surprising presence, and is forced into a flight for his life over a vast and dangerous stretch of countryside, with a remorseless hunter behind him and an uncertain reception ahead...

Hunter's Run is not a convoluted multi-stranded narrative with a cast of thousands. It is a simple story at heart, the exploration of what makes a person a person, but with complexities of emotion that run from it being written by three of the best character-builders in modern SF&F. Espejo is not a likable protagonist, but his actions are understandable and as the book progresses the reader sympathises with him more. The alien biosphere is well-described, the city of Diegotown comes to life vividly, the writing is crip and fast-paced, with each chapter and incident leading into the next in rapid succession. The alien characters are intriguing and there is a sense of a much larger story waiting to be told, of which this is the tip of the iceberg. Whether these three writers will collaborate again or not is uncertain, but I certainly hope that if they do, we won't have to wait thirty years for it.

Hunter's Run (****) is a strong novel from three of the leading voices in the genre today. It is published by Voyager in the UK and by both Eos and Subterrenean (as a limited illustrated edition) in the USA.

Unreasonable reasoner
    I guess I'll resurrect this Fantasy thread even though this is technically SF.

Anybody know what exactly is the relationship between "Shadow Twin" and "Hunter's Run?" Are they simply written by the same authors, is Shadow Twin a shorter version of Hunter's Run or a part of the story or what? The Amazon descriptions don't seem very similar.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Going completely from memory here, I thought Shadow Twin was an earlier release, a shorter book, possibly rougher. I suspect Hunter's Run would have the text of Shadow Twin, and more.

Basically what Mith said. Shadow Twin is the earlier work of Dozois and GRRM. Hunter's Run is the expanded edition with the contributions of all three authors.

Gardner Dozois started writing it in 1977 but got stuck, so passed it over to George RR Martin, who wrote an additional block of the story in 1981 before getting stuck himself. In 2003 or thereabouts, the aborted story was finally completed by Daniel Abraham and published in novella form the following year as Shadow Twin. Later Abraham went back and re-structured the story as a full-length novel called Hunter's Run, using Shadow Twin as a rough draft.

Unreasonable reasoner
    interesting. I've had Hunters Run on my shelf for a while now and was looking for Shadow Twin, but it looks like I won't need to.