Angry Japanese Sci Book Author and Title Unknown

So in the pub last night a friend was telling me about the most amazing sci fi book by a Japanese author. Having had one too many all I can remember is a brief synopsis of the story.

I hope that someone can help a newbie!!!

The story is told in alternative chapters. The odd chapters concern a world where two companies rule everything, making information the most powerful thing to own. The only way to protect their information is by hiring people who have managed to train their brains to take in the information sub-conciously and then transfer it from their left side of their brain to their right side. Once scrambled on their right side they come out of the fugue like state and find that they have a sheet of writing/drawings in front of them, obviously the only person capable of deciphering this is the guy who has 'encrypted' it.

The even chapters concern a city that is surrounded by the highest inpenatrable(?) wall that can not be scaled or destroyed. When the 'gate keepers' open the doors of the city for you they cut off your 'shadow' that leaves you (Pullman anyone?) and in turn you are imprisoned in the city. The city contains unicorns.

Thats it guys!! Thats all I can remember, but it sounds great and I would love to read it.

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure, because I've only read one of his books, but a popular Japanese author who is translated to English is Haruki Murakami. So it might be him.

Talking

Close the thread, Fung Koo wins the prize straight off the bat. The book is............................

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.

About to order it from Amazon, thanks for your help.

Amazing.

Haruki Murakami's Hard-boild Wonderland and the end of Universe.

Sorry. I missed Torch's post 'cause I'm drinking a cup of Sake.

That is a book I would really like to read after tasting Murakami with his amazing Norwegian Wood and most of South of the Sun, West of the Border. Also read some of his awesome short stories. He is definitely one of my favourite authors. Enjoy!