The Man Who Folded Himself - travel back in time to have sex with himself

http://www.chtorr.com/books-folded/folded.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Folded_Himself

Check out this book called The Man Who Folded Himself. It was nominated for the Nebula Award for Best Novel in 1973 and the Hugo Award for Best Novel in 1974. And yeah, it is basically a time travel story about a man who travels back in time to have sex with himself.

Quote Originally Posted by rushking View Post
    http://www.chtorr.com/books-folded/folded.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Folded_Himself

Check out this book called The Man Who Folded Himself. It was nominated for the Nebula Award for Best Novel in 1973 and the Hugo Award for Best Novel in 1974. And yeah, it is basically a time travel story about a man who travels back in time to have sex with himself.
    Try reading "All You Zombies" by Robert Heinlein which is mentioned in the Wiki link. It's a goody.
    Spoiler:
    In it, the central character, by means of time travel and surgery turns out at the end of the story to be his own father and mother.
    Last edited by JunkMonkey; January 27th, 2008 at 06:00 PM.

Time Travller's Wife also has mutual masterbation between time-slipped version of the protag.

I wonder why Wells didn't think of this, the prude!

Quote Originally Posted by Yobmod View Post
    Time Travller's Wife also has mutual masterbation between time-slipped version of the protag.

I wonder why Wells didn't think of this, the prude!
    Wells a prude? The man was a goat! (But writing in prudish times.)
    http://www.libidomag.com/nakedbrunch...xbiowells.html

Wow.... I don't know what to say about that. I can't say I'll be rushing in to read a story about a guy screwing his past self.

I'm detecting a theme.

People come on the forum, post the title of a book, mention sex associated with the book, attempt to incite reaction and then talk about how they're not going to read the supposedly salacious offering.

If you have problems with TMWFH - don't go anywhere near All You Zombies. In fact, ditch all Heinlien, Farmer, Dick, oh screw the list.

If you have a problem with sex, DON'T READ SCIENCE FICTION or FANTASY.

Oh, and just to add to your unease, the author, David Gerrold, is gay. And - omg - he adopted a child. His relationship with his adopted son is chronicled in The Martian Child, which was recently made into a movie.

But don't read it or watch it - there might be sex in there.
    Last edited by RimWorlder; January 28th, 2008 at 01:33 PM.

Mice9
    Well, at least he would know where to find his errogenous zones! Perhaps the book should have been titled "The Man Who Fondled Himself". But then that would give too much away, rather like the title of this thread. You know, Rimworlder, I'm not too crazy about this trend either, but in my case it's because there's a lot of this stuff I haven't read yet, and Im not sure I want all of these pre-conceptions of books in my head before I get a chance to read them. I guess it's the risk we take when we frequent the boards. Oh well.

Well, the OP was pretty reasonable - i thought he was mentioning the sex time travel cos he thought it was unusual and funny. Maybe i'm too trusting... :-)

It reminds me of drunken pub conversations "if you met yourself in a bar, as the appropriate gender, would you sleep with yourself etc." (The general consensus being, "ja, why not!"

Lots of time travel stories seem a bit morally dubious though, if one has a suspicious mind (spoilers):

Heinlein - The Door Into Summer 8/10

A man goes back in time to "groom" a child, then puts himself in suspended animation to meet her when she is sexually mature.

Niffenneger - Time Traveller's Wife 8/10

The time-traveller has numourous meetings with his future wife when he is a (naked) middle aged man and she a child. Eventually taking her virginity in spite of the huge age gap.

Wells - The Time Machine

"Confirmed bachelor" travellers to the future where everyone has the mental capacity and body of a child, with no secondary sexual characteristics (he cannot tell their gender without getting them naked). Then has sexual relationship with one of the tiny child-women, finally realising the sex with her in a culture-free, intellectually empty future is better than staying in his own time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone read any David Gerrold - hes been on my to read list for a while, has lots of respected books (and wrote The Trouble with Tribbles, but i'tt try to ignore that!):

When Harlie Was One (Hugo & Neb nominee)
    The Man Who Folded Himself (Hugo & Neb nominee)
    Moonstar Odyssey (Neb nominee)
    Jumping Off the Planet (Spectrum (gay) award winner, expanded from Neb nom'ed novella)

i was leaning more towards The Martian Child, but it seems to be a case of a great short story expanded into a novel, so now i'm not so sure.

Opinions?
    Last edited by Yobmod; January 29th, 2008 at 03:12 AM.

Read Harlie, Folded, Voyage of the Star Wolf (think that's the correct title), and War with Chtorr series.

I didn't like Voyage too much; its basically a television script turned into a novel. So much so that I'm surprised he didn't leave the camera directions in. (I actually think its an in-joke, something like: hey fellas, watch this: I'm gonna send em the tv script as a novel and see what happens)

Harlie (original and version 2.0) are good reads. Folded is a good read. Chtorr series is an excellent adventure/alien invasion series. Gerrold was invited to speak at the Heinlein centennial because this series is so obviously commentary/response and variation of Starship Troopers. But, instead of a single novel, we get what five, six stories? (He's working on the last in the series right now.) He plays around with and expands on many of the "responsibility" themes Heinlein introduced in ST and also weaves 'make your own religion' into it as well. He used to have to explain to people that the religion/psychological training in the book is not a real religion and he's not the prophet of some weird offshoot of scientology...

the whole time travel/sex with yourself theme is an interesting human question.

If the time traveller and earlier/future selves are the same sex - is it only masturbation or is it also homosexuality? If different sexes, is it 'incest'?

Would you really know how to turn yourself on better than anyone else - or would you spend your time arguing over who does what or who gets done how?

Suppose a story involved an invasion of future travellers, all coming back in time to screw themselves. What's the religious take? The legal take? (How do you resolve questions of force or rape when the situation becomes "I said"/"I said"? Or one of the time-separated selves says "I wouldn't have felt forced or pressured in that situation" and another version of the same person is saying exactly the opposite?)

I think its one of those inevitable story lines that is going to crop up no matter what: introduce time travel to a story and its only going to take about five minutes for some character to realize that they can indulge themselves in what is probably the epitome of masturbation. After all, writing itself has often been referred to as 'mental masturbation' and the time travel theme lets the author share it with the audience...

I've read the book, it was very interesting. There are no "sex scenes" in the book - nothing explicit.

He also encounters both male and female versions of himself.

The book is a good read. Like a lot of 70's sci-fi it is very much about self-revelation. The time travel is just a tool.

Chtorr series is an excellent adventure/alien invasion series.
    I also loved the Chtorr series, although now that you mention it, one part that really turned me off in the series has to do with pedophila. Basically the main character adopts a boy who was sexually abused, and the best way he can think of to make him feel loved is to start having sex with him. Gerrold is pretty sympathetic to the main character's situation and basically lets him off the hook. It was not the focus of the series, but it also wasn't a tiny part, either. Gerrold's got some issues imho.

As far as not reading sci-fi unless you are comfortable with sex, I think that is selling the genre short. You can read many sci-fi classics, new books and award winning novels without having to read about sex if you don't want to. Sex is not by any means synonomous with sci-fi.

sex is not synomymous with SF, but the human condition is, and I think you'll have to admit that sex is a large influence on that condition.

Sex's influence may not be overt - but its in there a lot. And a lot more as time goes by and the sensibilities of the surrounding culture relax.

For example: Mote in God's Eye. A key difference between Moties and Humans is that Moties MUST get pregnant in order to continue living. We don't get to see any Motie sex, but there would be no story if not for that element.

I wasn't that bothered by the pedophilia. I read it in two ways: first, a not completely successful argument for providing a plausible excuse for the behavior, much like the theme of Spinrad's The Iron Dream, which posited circumstances in which Nazism and ethnic-cleansing were not only ok but entirely necessary and justified.

The second was: hey - most of the world ended, its still under invasion and people are doing strange, bizarre things as a result of the psychological pressure.

I don't think Gerrold let his character off lightly; he got kicked out of the commune for doing that (even though some of the other members were sympathetic/understanding) and the character wrestles with that issue on a number of future occassions.

You might also say that up until that point, the character was pretty goody-two-shoes and Gerrold needed the conflict in order to keep the story going.

Funny that you mentioned this. I was reading Gerrold's blog about his adopted son and the novel The Martian Child, and I was wondering if Gerrold had any problems with the adoption over having written that scene, given the (false) connection that many people have between homosexuality and pedophilia. I just might have to ask him.