Page 128 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128
Results 1,906 to 1,916 of 1916
    Quote Originally Posted by Luya Sevrein View Post
    But it's so much more fun when we argue! I mean... 'debate'. :P

I'm only a begginer, myself. I just know the culture and how things work. He was freelancing, mostly bypassing and ethical hacking - that got him a few pretty safe positions - so yeah. He lives in rural Cork, right by the sea, so freelancing is kinda good for him. He's more into programmign then hacking now - He's like some nutty Prof. Frankenstein with his creations.
    Very cool. Would love to converse more. If you are looking at getting into the industry and run into something your uncle isn't sure about or just want to chat about anything IT shoot me a pm.

My personal interest in hacking is more a requirement. Part of my job requires dealing with IDS and network infrastructure design so I kind of have to understand how things are done so I can implement proper security measures. I am by no means a hacker nor would I posture as one. But I have dealt with many fairly serious individuals on both sides of the divide so i always find it amusing when someone starts spouting off things they obviously know very little about.

And I enjoy debating with you too. The force is strong with you young jedi

I'm a bit of a failure. I was learning scripts with every intention of making something out of it and then realized - Oh heck, I should totally make an awesome website for my novel with these instead! XD

Which I haven't done either. I've just got a new graphics tablet so I'm obsessing over that at the moment.

I would love to learn what you know. As I said - I was somewhat raised around the culture, rather than being any knid of hacker or programmer myself. My expiriences range to being a parasite to my street's connection when mine faulters. XD

I dunno, though, I'd say working with IDS/IPSs are a good starting point. What's your preferance? Do you use what your company tell you to? I don't even know your job. xD

Uh, I thought this was the off-topic thread but It's not.

I actually seriously do want to know what's going on with ADWD. People seem to know that George has brought out chapters and descriptions and I, honestly, know nothing.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Posturing doesn't fly around here
    That's rich coming from you. I tink I'll call you Pot from now on. Only in my head ofcourse.
    Last edited by ChrisW; January 2nd, 2011 at 05:13 AM.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What's this? More bad-tempered grumpiness about George not bothering to, y'know, do what everyone tells him to?

We don't discuss GRRM's sexual behaviour because that's not what we do at SFFWorld.

Arstan, please go and have a read of the rules that you agreed to when you joined here if you're not sure. As you've said yourself, our rules are a little different to a lot of places and it can take a little bit of getting used to.

As for this thread: New year, old thread. It's being going long enough and seems to bring out the worst in people, so I'm going to do what others have been clamouring for (and I mentioned 50 pages or so ago) and shut it down. This will happen in the next few days.

After 1900+ 'comments' I think everything's been said that needs to be said on it.

Also in the next couple of days there will be the return of the old GRRM forum: we've listened to what everyone has said, and thought it best to bring it back as we still get massive posts about him, more than any other author at the moment.

And with the TV series coming up, it sorta makes sense.

Staff will be watching: be prepared to be stomped on should you feel the need to post things that are not in the traditional spirit of SFFWorld.

Mark
    Mark

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    As for this thread: New year, old thread. It's being going long enough and seems to bring out the worst in people, so I'm going to do what others have been clamouring for (and I mentioned 50 pages or so ago) and shut it down. This will happen in the next few days.

After 1900+ 'comments' I think everything's been said that needs to be said on it.

Also in the next couple of days there will be the return of the old GRRM forum: we've listened to what everyone has said, and thought it best to bring it back as we still get massive posts about him, more than any other author at the moment.

And with the TV series coming up, it sorta makes sense.
    LOL! I was just thinking today how insanely epic this thread has become. You're probably right about shutting it down, though. It's been a good ride, full of ups and downs and downright weirdness. Thanks for the memories folks.

Excited about the return of the GRRM subforum!

(It sounds like I'd best get a post on here while there is still time).

The book will be published, or it won't.

The book will be good, or it won't.

Nothing that I say or do will delay the book, or make it come any more quickly.

If/when the book arrives, I will read the book.

I will either enjoy the book, or I won't.

Life is a journey, and ADWD will be one more step on that journey, or it won't.

If/when the book is published, this cycle will repeat.

I accept all of these things in their entirety. Having done so, I am at peace.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Ya know someone will just ask the same question again in the sub forum and the whole thing will start again. This thread will never die.

Quote Originally Posted by Arstan View Post
    If the book is not out by the hbo premier all bets are off. After all, martin was originally a tv writer, a failed one at that.
    He was a writer and script editor on a show that got 20 million viewers weekly or, in modern terms, more than the latter five seasons of Lost, and Hollywood paid for his house (both of them) and his residuals were his main source of income for a long time even after the first few ASoIaF books were published. So I'm not sure what definition of 'failed' you are using here. Compared to J.J. Abrams maybe he's a failure in television, but by that yardstick so are most TV producers and writers.

I am new to these boards, so i hope you guys are not as bad, but the westeros forums are run somewhat akin to sharia law. To question, is to sin. And in my books that is one of the greatest atrocities, ie. the suppression of free thought.
    Whilst I've said before that I think the disallowing of discussion on the release date is not a good idea, there is also the fact we did allow it for three years and the result was near-constant flaming, bannings, hysterical outbursts and general arguing in circles and circles. Once it was disallowed things calmed down considerably. The pressure valve-approach, where discussion is re-allowed once significant new information is released, also seems to have worked and kept things at a reasonable level.

Also, Westeros has GRRM's official approval and like any official forum (and many unofficial ones), personal attacks on the author are not allowed. Constructive criticism, yes (debates over the quality of AFFC, over the sexuality issues, over the portrayal of minorities and the levels of violence and so on are all permitted and some are ongoing at this time), pointless ranting, no. That's not Sharia law, that's pretty much par for the course on most discussion boards.

I also consider it pathetic that these people (on westeros, NAB) have very little knowledge of History, Philosophy, Art, Mathematics, Physics, Literature. Its all film and tv. No class. No creativity. No questioning. NO thinking. They are a flock of sheap.
    You interrogated all 16,000 members (quite a few of them with phDs and doctorates, many more with degrees) and read all of the 1 million extant posts on every subject? Impressive. Nevertheless, at the moment there are lengthy discussions on politics, the Wikileaks scandal and its impact on national security issues versus freedom of speech, and other issues of interest.

As far as I can tell you've been told not to insult the author on his official forum and then gotten pissed off about it. Well, that's not exactly surprising.

Ya know someone will just ask the same question again in the sub forum and the whole thing will start again. This thread will never die.
    Until the book comes out. Then we'll just get it again for the next one, and the one after that.
    Last edited by Werthead; January 2nd, 2011 at 06:04 AM.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    i would welcome the return of the author forum.
    there's a new anthology edited with Gardner Dozois : "Songs of Love and Death" that I'm interested in and I would like some input about it.
    I'm also planning to read more of his short stories this year and discuss them.

Quote Originally Posted by algernoninc View Post
    i would welcome the return of the author forum.
    there's a new anthology edited with Gardner Dozois : "Songs of Love and Death" that I'm interested in and I would like some input about it.
    I'm also planning to read more of his short stories this year and discuss them.
    The new collection is supposed to only be 'okay'. Songs of the Dying Earth was great and Warriors was even better, but by most accounts the new collection is weaker with a lot of filler.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thread closed.

New forums open: HERE.

Be nice!

Mark
    Mark