Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar

Some interesting new 2008 releases

I figured I'd compile a couple of books which have struck my fancy in the first two months of the year which have barely been mentioned sofar ( understandably), and I suppose that in thhe whole batch there may be something for most people. I'll link to Amazon so you can see covers and maybe some reviews, otherwise search Google for some more info. The list contains Epic Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Dark Fantasy/Horror, mainstream fiction and a Post-Apocalypse novel.

Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse

This is a collection of short stories where various authors have taken a shot at writing a strong post-apocalyptic tale. I've got to say this is one of the best anthologies I've seen in recent years, and it's a nice edition by Night Shade as well. The editor's site here has all the stories with some more info on them. Lots of good contributors including stories by King and GRRM.

http://www.johnjosephadams.com/wastelands/?page=1

http://www.amazon.com/Wastelands-Sto...2481014&sr=1-1

Dragons of Babel by Michael Swanwick

The new highly acclaimed book by Swanwick, not a sequel to Iron Dragon's daughter but it seems to be set in the same world. Very interesting blend of Fantasy and technology, very high concept, massively cool cover.

" A fantasy masterpiece from a five-time Hugo Award winner! A war-dragon of Babel crashes in the idyllic fields of a post-industrialized Faerie and, dragging himself into the nearest village, declares himself king and makes young Will his lieutenant.Nightly, he crawls inside the young fey's brain to get a measure of what his subjects think. Forced out of his village, Will travels with female centaur soldiers, witnesses the violent clash of giants, and acquires a surrogate daughter, Esme, who has no knowledge of the past and may be immortal. Evacuated to the Tower of Babel -- infinitely high, infinitely vulgar, very much like New York City -- Will meets the confidence trickster Nat Whilk. Inside the Dread Tower, Will becomes a hero to the homeless living in the tunnels under the city, rises as an underling to a politician, and meets his one true love-a high-elven woman he dare not aspire to.You've heard of hard SF: This is hard fantasy from a master of the form. "

My understanding is that it is Swanwick's take on the typical Fantasy quest, with his trademark twist. Pleasant writing style. Advance reviews have been (extremely) positive.

http://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Babel-...2480957&sr=1-1

There's even a special blog for the book by the author:

http://floggingbabel.blogspot.com/

The Devil’s Footprints by John Burnside

This is a mainstream novel for the most part, and short at 240 pages. It's imagery intrigued me, possibly because Burnside is also a poet.

"Michael Gardiner has lived in Coldhaven all his life yet still feels like an outsider. Married but rather distant from his wife, he reads in the local paper that a school friend, Moira Birnie, has killed herself and her two sons by setting their car on fire; but she has spared her 14-year-old daughter Hazel. Michael uneasily recalls his past connections to Moira. As teenagers, Michael and Moira had a brief romance, yet more troubling to Michael is the fact that he was responsible for the death of Moira’s brother, the town bully. In the wake of the tragedy, Michael becomes obsessed with Hazel, who is just old enough to be his daughter. Aware of his obsession, Hazel convinces Michael to take her away from the village and her father, an abusive and violent man.

Setting his story against the untamed Scottish landscape, John Burnside has written a chilling novel that explores the elemental forces of everyday life: love, fear, grief, and the hope of redemption. In its ability to evoke and exploit our most primal fears, The Devil’s Footprints prompts comparisons to the best of Stephen King. In both language and imagery, it is a novel of mysterious beauty, written with the clarity and power of a folktale."

This site has an excerpt:

http://www.randomhouse.com

http://www.amazon.com/Devils-Footpri...2480927&sr=1-1

Immortal by Traci Slatton

This is a brand new historical Fantasy set in the time of the Italian Renaissance from a debut novelist that Bantam is bringing out. It's only been out for a short while but has received a lot of acclaim and I must say it looks very good. This guy goes through some serious tragedy. Quite a hefty volume at 520 pages as well.

" an age of wonderous beauty and terrible secrets,
    one man searches for his destiny...

In the majestic heart of Florence, a beautiful golden-haired boy is abandoned and subjected to cruelty beyond words. But Luca Bastardo is anything but an ordinary boy. Across two centuries of passion and intrigue, Luca will discover an astonishing gift—one that will lead him to embrace the ancient mysteries of alchemy and healing and to become a trusted confidant to the powerful Medicis…even as he faces persecution from a sadistic cabal determined to wrest his secrets for themselves.

But as the Black Death and the Inquisition wreak havoc on his beloved city, Luca’s survival lies in the quest to solve two riddles. One is the enigma of his parents and his ageless beauty. The other is a choice between immortality and the only chance to find his one true love. As Luca journeys through the heights of the Renaissance, befriends Giotto and Leonardo Da Vinci—140 years apart—and pursues the most closely guarded secrets of religious faith and science for the answers to his own burning questions, his remarkable search will not only change him…but will change the course of history"

http://www.amazon.com/Immortal-Traci...2480836&sr=1-1

Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow

Interesting verse novel urban Fantasy that should appeal to fans of say Butcher, Huston, Harrison etc. Don't be scared off by the verse part, it is very readable and actually it reads more like short normal prose sentences. If you want to try some of it.

http://sharpteeththebook.com/

An ancient race of lycanthropes has survived to the present day, and its numbers are growing as the initiated convince L.A.'s down and out to join their pack. Paying no heed to moons, full or otherwise, they change from human to canine at will—and they're bent on domination at any cost.

Caught in the middle are Anthony, a kind-hearted, besotted dogcatcher, and the girl he loves, a female werewolf who has abandoned her pack. Anthony has no idea that she's more than she seems, and she wants to keep it that way. But her efforts to protect her secret lead to murderous results.

Blending dark humor and epic themes with card-playing dogs, crystal meth labs, surfing, and carne asada tacos, Sharp Teeth captures the pace and feel of a graphic novel while remaining "as ambitious as any literary novel, because underneath all that fur, it's about identity, community, love, death, and all the things we want our books to be about" [Nick Hornby, The Believer].

http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Teeth-To...2480896&sr=1-1

Solid review here:

http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.co...by-barlow.html
    Last edited by Mithfânion; February 8th, 2008 at 08:25 AM.

The Condemned by David Bell

A post-apocalypse novel that fans of The Road and World War Z might enjoy. Pretty short as well.

The world is at war.the city is dying.and those left for dead within its walls have awakened. A terrorist attack on the water supply has left the city quarantined by the army and inhabited by the City People, the mindless living dead who rule the urban night. Plagued by nightmares and wracked with guilt for having left his best friend behind, Jett returns to work, hoping to provide for his family. But his new partner, a wounded veteran known only as The Kid, won't let Jett forget that his best friend might not be entirely dead. As their city raids grow bloodier, Jett finds himself increasingly under the mysterious influence of his new partner. And just as his murderous rage for the City People grows nearly out of control, he realizes things may not be exactly as they appear. The night, and those who control it-the City People-hold many secrets. Secrets that might just set Jett free.or destroy him and everything he holds dear.

http://www.amazon.com/Condemned-Davi.../dp/1929653905

Solid review here:

http://www.curledup.com/condemnd.htm

The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes

Just released in the US, was released a year ago by Gollancz in the UK, a Fantasy Victoriana. Dozens of reviews for this one on the net.

Be warned. This book has no literary merit whatsoever. Needless to say, I doubt you'll believe a word of it.

Once the toast of good society in Victoria's England, the extraordinary conjurer Edward Moon no longer commands the respect or inspires the awe that he did in earlier times. Despite having previously unraveled more than sixty perplexing criminal puzzles (to the delight of a grateful London constabulary), he is considered something of an embarrassment these days. Still, each night without fail, he returns to the stage of his theatre to amaze his devoted, albeit dwindling audience with the same old astonishments—aided by his partner, the silent, hairless, hulking, surprisingly placid giant who, when stabbed, does not bleed . . . and who goes by but one appellation:

The Somnambulist

On a night of roiling mists and long shadows, in a corner of the city where only the most foolhardy will deign to tread, a rather disreputable actor meets his end in a most bizarre and terrible fashion. Baffled, the police turn once again in the direction of Edward Moon—who will always welcome such assignments as an escape from ennui. And, in fact, he leads the officers to a murderer rather quickly. Perhaps too quickly. For these are strange, strange times in England, with the strangest of sorts prowling London's dank underbelly: sinister circus performers, freakishly deformed prostitutes, sadistic grown killers in schoolboy attire, a human fly, a man who lives backwards. And nothing is precisely as it seems.

http://www.amazon.com/Somnambulist-J...2480696&sr=1-1

The UK sees a sequel coming out this month, called The Domino Men.

Whitechapel Gods by S.M. Peters

A Steampunk debut about which I do not know much other than that I saw it and liked the idea.

A thrilling new Steampunk fantasy from a talented debut author

TWO GODS-ONE CHANCE FOR MANKIND

In Victorian London, the Whitechapel section is a mechanized, steam-driven hell, cut off and ruled by two mysterious, mechanical gods-Mama Engine and Grandfather Clock. Some years have passed since the Great Uprising, when humans rose up to fight against the machines, but a few brave veterans of the Uprising have formed their own Resistance-and are gathering for another attack. For now they have a secret weapon that may finally free them-or kill them all...

http://www.amazon.com/Whitechapel-Go...2480734&sr=1-1

Scroll down for a review:

http://trashotron.com/agony/news/200....htm#012508npr

Dark Hollow by Brian Keene

By all accounts horror writer Keene's best novel yet can be labelled a Dark Fantasy as well.

Spring has come with a vengeance to LeHorn's Hollow, Pennsylvania. While walking his dog, mystery author Adam Senft stumbles upon an enigma of his own, when he encounters his pretty neighbor engaged in a lewd act with something that is not human. Soon enough, he discovers that evil surrounds the entire town. The woods themselves are behaving strangely, the sound of pipes is on the air, women are going missing, and some supernatural force is drawing upon the not-so repressed desires of the townspeople, threatening to transform LeHorn's Hollow into something of a hell on earth. Only Adam and his neighbors seem to have an inkling of what is going on around them, and it falls upon their shoulders to try and make things right.

Cover, extract and reviews here:

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Hollow-Br...2480774&sr=1-1

Finally, Seekers of the Chalice by Brian Cullen, an epic Fantasy very much based on Celtic myth that I bought right away because I'm a big fan of Celtic Legends and this seems very cool. Of course it could be disappointing, I have not read it yet, and people less taken with Celtic mythology may not find it as intriguing. It is for me, but he could have been a bit more inventive with his naming of the chief antagonist

In the time when gods and men walked the earth along with demons, the Chalice of Fire, the symbol of peace for Ulster, is stolen from the Red Branch by Bricriu Poisontongue. A small band of Seekers sets out to recover and return the Chalice to the Red Branch to restore peace to the Ulster kingdom.The Seekers are a group of two elves, Bern and Lorges; Cumac, the son of Cucullen, the greatest Red Branch warrior; Fedelm of the Sidhe; Tarin, the Swordwanderer; and the wizard-druid, Seanchan. Together they must make their way through the world brought as Maliman, the evil wizard, uses his powers to stop them as he seeks the Chalice himself to bend its magic to his will.The Seekers battle their way through the creatures of darkness that threaten to conquer the world.But they are determined to bring light back from darkness and restore the land that has fallen into ruin and decay with the theft of the Chalice

http://www.amazon.com/Seekers-Chalic...2480804&sr=1-1

Reviews here:

http://www.sfrevu.com/php/Review-id.php?id=6296

http://www.dondammassa.com/R2A2008.h...of_the_Chalice
    Last edited by Mithfânion; February 8th, 2008 at 08:21 AM.

Cheers Mithfânion, thanks for this compilation. 'The Somnambulist' especially appealed to me.

I have a problem though. It's the blurb. Or more precisely, the fact I am not able to ignore it. It is entirely possible I would thoroughly enjoy 'Dragons of Babel'. But drivvle like "A fantasy masterpiece from a five-time Hugo Award winner [..] This is hard fantasy from a master of the form" or in 'The Devil's Footprint' case: "Setting his story against the untamed Scottish landscape, John Burnside has written a chilling novel yadibla etcetera" makes me go Pffffff.....and very much NOT wanting to read these books. And that annoys me, because perhaps they are terrific reads - despite the crap on the cover (both front and back...). So, entirely aware this is MY problem - but sharing always helps

Read interesting books
    Immortal by T. Slatton is a pretty good book. There was an author signing at a Borders I was visiting last weekend and the book was all over the place so I picked it up and I liked the style so I got it. I've read about 200 pages in (I am reading several more books simultaneously) and until now I can say it's a pretty dark book, lots of fantastical elements and worth reading.

Another good mainstream with fantastical elements that it's a 2008 debut is Monsters of Templeton by L. Groff; this one is funny and wistful but very engaging.

I am waiting for the release of Domino Men the (sort of) sequel to The Somnambulist and I expect to enjoy that one as much as the first one.

One more 08 release that I would mention is Serious Things by G. Norminton, UK only and mainstream literary but I like a lot Mr. Norminton's style.

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this! I've bought Immortal and am seriously considering the Burnside book.

You've done all my work for me!

Well that's the idea behind the post AP.

I'll go one further and link you to the excerpt of Burnside's book, that should help you decide.

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/d...0&view=excerpt

Suciul

I like the look of that Normington book.

Thumbs up!

Thanks Mithfânion for taking the time to do this. This will help me heaps in keeping updated!

Read interesting books
    I really loved books 2 and 3 of Mr. Norminton (Arts and Wonders and Ghost Portrait, and I intend to read his Ship of Fools too at some point) so when Serious Things was announced I checked the excerpt and ordered it on publication.

The Burnside book looks interesting too so it went on my hold list at the library.

Burnside is a fine and interesting poet. I'll be following this one up too.

See? And then they dare say we Fantasy fans aren't "literate". Hah!

Thanks a bunch for this list, Mith. You're a sweetheart. I've found 3 new things I want to read.

'Sharp Teeth' was actually released in the UK and Ireland in the middle of last year (August, I think), so if anyone is looking for it they can get it form amazon.co.uk quite cheaply. It's published in an unsual cross between trade and hardback format.

When you look at the blurb on the back it does seem like Anita Blake territory, but browsing through it obviously it's something of an oddity, a sort of beat / epic poem.
    Last edited by Ouroboros; February 9th, 2008 at 05:28 AM.

Great idea keeping this list. Just big-time wishlisted "Immortal".

edit: scratch that, I just ordered it from Aprohead
    Last edited by FuzzBunneh; February 9th, 2008 at 07:30 AM.

Inter spem metumque iacto Julian's Avatar
    Great post, Mith

This is one of those things that makes this forum well worth while. Thanks!
    Last edited by Julian; February 9th, 2008 at 02:32 PM.

Yep, thanks for doing this Mith -- I'd been meaning to set something up for awhile now.

Suicul -- more info on your recs, if you would. I like to know premises, if I can get them.

How interesting -- I'd just heard about Sharp Teeth and apparently it was in the U.K. first, though set in L.A. Interesting to know how that developed.

Books getting some notice:

Adrian Phoenix – A Rush of Wings – dark contemporary fantasy in the Anne Rice territory -- mysterious rock star dealing with dangerous happenings

Justin Gustainis – Black Magic Woman – one of the new contemporary supernatural thrillers, male occult investigator with a white witch partner dealing with big evil

Wayne Barlowe – God’s Demon -- He's also an artist, a retelling of the fall of the Christian Devil.

David Wellington – 99 Coffins -- A historical fantasy sequel to the first in the series, 13 Bullets – vampires that have to be dealt with in the American Civil War

Alex Bledsoe – The Sword-Edged Blonde – alternate realm epic noir mystery, no less.

Sarah Monette & Elizabeth Bear – A Companion to Wolves -- Historical fantasy, about how being the magical companion to an animal is not necessarily all smiles and roses
    Last edited by KatG; February 13th, 2008 at 07:27 PM.