Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Well yes, but there is a scale usually on these things, isn't there? From mild to... well, Sade.

Kazhan: actually there are Goodkind fans around, though unfortunately we also get some who put the 'fan' in 'really-shouldn't-be-allowed-near-anyone-on-the-Internet-or-in-public'.

We're generally a mild-mannered lot here at SFFWorld, though I'm still fairly sure that the use of the word Goodkind has the record for starting more fights and caused the staff more work than anything else to my experience.

I personally thought the books were OK up to about book 4 or 5 then lost interest badly.

For the record, I have a copy of the Law of Nines which I like to pick up, read a page, laugh at and then put down every now and then.

*goes for a lie down*

Mark
    Have to say that Goodkind was one of the first Fantasy books I ever read, didn't really had anything to compare it to. Might be the reason why I found them good, sort of introduction to the genre

Battleaxe by Sara Douglass. It made me feel like I'd just woken up and my eyes were stuck together.

Also The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick, always enjoyed his stuff but I've tried 3 or 4 teams to read it and never made it halfway through.

I put down about half the books I start. Life's too short and there's always more to be had at the library.

I recently suffered a bout of temporary insanity and decided to try the new series from David/Leigh Eddings... I don't even remember the title of the book now. I couldn't return it fast enough. If I had paid money for it I just might have had to commit seppuku.

But the only book I really wanted to burn was one called A Plague of Angels... Don't remember the author. It had to do with a world where only teenagers live in cities and they spend their days crapping on sidewalks and raping each other.

The Matarese Countdown. Truly the worst book I have ever read.

Some people might hate me for this, but I'll also add Perdido Street Station. There's nothing wrong with the story; it's just the bug girlfriend of the hero that freaked me out. Don't get me started on the man/bug love scene at the beginning ... ugh.

trolling > dissertation nquixote's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wwfward View Post
    The Matarese Countdown. Truly the worst book I have ever read.

Some people might hate me for this, but I'll also add Perdido Street Station. There's nothing wrong with the story; it's just the bug girlfriend of the hero that freaked me out. Don't get me started on the man/bug love scene at the beginning ... ugh.
    Something tells me that Mieville got the idea for Lin by looking at a Chinese girl and imagining if her jet-black hair was actually the jet-black carapace of a big bug...

I thought the man-bug romance was cute, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by fybonacci View Post
    yes, Elenium, sorry.

To NYCfan -- you pick up de Sade, and then complain about it being sick? Do you know the etymology of the word sadism?
    I expected it to be sick, but to also be interesting and well written, but it was neither. I read it on the recommendation of a prof whose 18C French novel class I was taking and which was generally quite fun. But that does remind me of two other 'classics' that I've hated, albeit for tedium mixed with overblown prose: Rousseau's La Nouvelle Heloise, and Chateaubriand's Rene and Memoires d'outre-tombe

Quote Originally Posted by nquixote View Post
    Something tells me that Mieville got the idea for Lin by looking at a Chinese girl and imagining if her jet-black hair was actually the jet-black carapace of a big bug...

I thought the man-bug romance was cute, btw.
    ugh ... memories from the book are coming back. I'd forgotten her name was Lin and now I remember those bug people make their houses by the stuff they puke out. Blegh. Forget I said anything about Perdido.