The Sword of Truth Series
    The Wheel of Time Series
    The Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn Series
    The Lord of the Isles Series
    The Alvin Maker Series
    The Fionvar Tapestry
    The Riftwar Saga
    The Belgariad

I couldn't make it through any of these sets. Most of them I stopped after book 1. I generally finish a book once I start it (though I sometimes set it aside for a later time, if I can tell I'm not much in the mood for it), but if I didn't enjoy it enough to start the next in the set, then I don't. The above are all ones I doubt I'll ever continue with.

In the case of Kay, I've really enjoyed some of his other books. But Fionvar was pretty "blah."

Author of "The Inferior" peadarog's Avatar
    I'm always amazed when I read a thread like this, how many people want to burn the books I love most in the world and how books that I threw against the wall in frustration, are venerated. One day, I know I'm going to pop into one of this thread and find a book of mine smouldering on somebody's bonfire!

Back on topic: as I get older, I finish fewer and fewer books. Life is too short.

Peadar-

Yep, that's the nature of threads like this- they make you realiase how widely tastes vary.

Personally if I'm reading something I don't particularly like then my first instinct is to try and grit my teeth and get through it. I don't like loose ends, and sometimes I'll try and soldier on through a multi-book series if I can find even the slightest redeeming quality.

As I get older, though, I find myself increasingly giving books short shrift if I don't take to them. There are so many quality new releases pouring out every year, and so many classics to uncover, that I just don't have the time to waste on something I'm not enjoying.

Offhand some of the books/series that I've given up on over the years:-

-Most recently, Robin Hobb's 'Shaman's Crossing'. I think Hobb has made an art out of confusing victimhood with heroism, and builds her plots around almost sadistic destructions of her main characters. On a values level I can't get into her books anymore, and the depressing air of her work is compounded by the first-person narrative she uses.

- RA Salvatore's Demon Dactly novels. Unreadable after the first book. It felt like fan-fic (the bad kind).

- Richard Morgan's 'Black Man'. OK, I'm cheating here. I did finish this, but I may yet burn it or throw it into a vat of acid at some point considering how dissapointing and objectionable I found it.
    Last edited by Ouroboros; February 12th, 2008 at 06:58 AM.

Author of "The Inferior" peadarog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
    Personally if I'm reading something I don't particularly like then my first instinct is to try and grit my teeth and get through it.
    Hey, it's my first instinct too. But it's rare I'll give something more than 100 pages to get going. I also cheat a little: if some book has had huge, huge praise, I'll push on a lot further. Unfair, I know.

Wheel of Time
    The Belgariad
    Sword of Truth.

The most painful by far was the sword of truth series, though its unintentionally funny parts has a strange attraction.

The Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn Series gave me a really hard time, but I finished it ...skipping rather large parts of the last book.

And I thought that I would never finish the first Harry Potter. I read the translation, though.

There are a couple of books "on hold", that I picked up when I wasn't in the right mood for them. Elantris (Sanderson) is among them. Given the praise that it received here, I'll definitely try again.

The whole notion of (literally) burning books doesn't sit too well with me, though. The whole idea makes me shudder.
    Last edited by Sabetha; February 12th, 2008 at 09:16 AM.

Hmm..

Numerous books/series I enjoy have been mentioned in this thread, as my two mentions apparently both have their fans (particularly Warrior-Prophet.

Some of these responses have me going "Okay, what book didn't you put down? That's probably a shorter list."

I guess this just shows how different books strike different people.

I'm gonna have to add The King of the Murgos to that list. I enjoyed The Belgariad purely on an entertainment level, but halfway through Murgos I came to the disturbing revelation that this series was pretty much the Belgariad again. I put it down and haven't looked back.

And another, The Sword of Shannara. I hated this book so much--I've never seen a more blatant LOTR ripoff--that I swore I would never read another Shannara book. Well, I read The Word and the Void and really liked that, plus I was told that Shannara gets better (and less derivitive) pretty much starting with book 2, so someday I'll give the series another chance.

This is not going to make me any friends, but I'm having a hard time getting past page 50 of The Book of Joby. Obviously I can't say much about the story, but the prose strikes me as clumsy and mundane. You can't sell me on a book by its subject matter--I've read it all before, so many plots seem like a remix--but magical books require magical language. Prose comes first. There's a t-shirt slogan in there somewhere.

I wouldn't burn this book. Many are enjoying it. Plus it's enormous and belongs to the library.

A servant of Lord Arioch FitzChivalry's Avatar
    The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind obviously.
    The Wars of Light and Shadow by Jenny Wurts.
    Elantris by Brandon Sanderson.
    Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams.
    Rhapsody by Elisabeth Haydon.
    The Book of Tiers by Phillip Jose Farmer.
    Viriconium by M. John Harrison.
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell by Susanna Clarke....
    And some others that i forget, but really, Terry Goodkind was the worst.
    Last edited by FitzChivalry; February 12th, 2008 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Takoren View Post
    Some of these responses have me going "Okay, what book didn't you put down? That's probably a shorter list."
    I cant speak for anyone else, but i'd say i have read somewhere around 1000-2000 books so my list of books i put down is a fairly short compared to those i have finished.

And another, The Sword of Shannara. I hated this book so much--I've never seen a more blatant LOTR ripoff--that I swore I would never read another Shannara book. Well, I read The Word and the Void and really liked that, plus I was told that Shannara gets better (and less derivitive) pretty much starting with book 2, so someday I'll give the series another chance.
    How could i forget that one. Terry Brooks is very lucky not to have been sued for plagiarism. I never picked up another book by that author after reading Sword of Shannara and i doubt i ever will.

My most recent one would be Renegade Magic by Robin Hobb. I enjoyed Shaman's Crossing, stuck it out through Forest Mage, but finally gave in and walked away from this series in Renegade Magic. She is one of my favorite authors as well.

I dump probably 10% of the books I start, but the only one I wanted to burn was The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. It was offensively bad, and dishonest -- a real rag.

Looks as if I am not the only one who needed to vent some literary frustration!

Please note that I do not really condone the burning of books.

Call me a heretic, but I was never a fan of Tolkien. I read the Hobbit and thought the most endearing quality to be how he always managed to make me hungry! With this in mind I did try to soldier on and read the trilogy but found myself stopping on two separate occasions amid the Fellowship of the Ring. At that point I just knew it wasn't for me!

I think the whole notion of finding out what you don't like helps you to find what you do like!

Terry Goodkind, Terry Brooks, and Raymond E. Feist have all beaten me to death with their monotony. I invested a lot of time and effort in to all their works only to feel let down in the end. But luckily during my search I found Erikson, Martin, and so many more authors that made it worth it.

Oh and a special edition IPIDAWTBI (The thread title): Melanie Rawn's Exile series. Not because it was bad, oh the contrary, it was superb! But the years of waiting for closure of that series are beginning to eat away at me! I wish I could burn it from my mind until the next volume is released.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    [...]
    The Belgariad
    I'm not as constant a reader of fantasy as most of the posters here, so many of the titles listed are unfamiliar to me. This one, though, was recommended by two friends and their recommendations led me to read the whole set. I thought it blandly written with clumsy, unconvincing characterization and settings, and a trite plot. It stands, for me, as the benchmark against which I judge all bad epic fantasy.

Randy M.

Read interesting books
    There are lots of books I try and do not like, but it does not bother me. The only time I get upset with a book is when I have very high expectations and the book lets me down badly. This is why I put Iron Council on the list; it's not a bad book compared with others named here, just that after 2 really wonderful books I did not expect a pedestrian rehash and infused with discredited ideology (for example a big time junk book like The Historian could have been only pleasantly surprised me )