Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Radone View Post
    I've never hated a book enough to want to burn it, but as I've aged, I give up on books, or if I'm interested in the plot, I'll skim along to see what happens by reading just the first sentence of each paragraph.

So, books I've given up on:

Gene Wolfe: I've tried book 1 of Book of the New Sun and The Knight and neither held my interest. Sacrilege, I know.

Sharon Shinn: I think I've been fair to her. I've given her 2 chances. Summers at Castle Auburn and Mystic and Rider. Both, I skimmed and the last convinced me to steer clear.

Cecilia Dart-Thornton: I ended up skimming the first book of the Bitterbynde Trilogy. I really thought I would love it because her writing is so lush and beautiful at times. Too lush, though.

David Keck: In the Eye of Heaven. Skimmed. No interest in re-visiting his world.

David Eddings: Redemption of Althalus. Skimmed and did only that out of loyalty over how much I love The Belgariad.

George R.R. Martin: Read Game of Thrones and liked it alot. Didn't see where all the fuss was that he was the greatest fantasy writer since Tolkien, but it was a very strong debut. Still, it's an incomplete series, and there is no sign it will ever be complete, so I absolutely will not read anything further until it is complete. Fell for that trick with WoT.
    I agree with you about agot... I read it and own the rest.. but will not read them until there is a sign that the series will ever be completed!

I enjoy Kay but purposely skipped the Fion trilogy because everyone said it stunk.... surprised so many people never got that message!

Quote Originally Posted by shadow9d9 View Post
    I enjoy Kay but purposely skipped the Fion trilogy because everyone said it stunk.... surprised so many people never got that message!
    I got the opposite message. I read two reviews that described it as "beautiful" and one guy I know said it was the best fantasy he'd ever read (and he does read a lot of fantasy; I have since learned that he and I could not possibly have more different taste).

I finished Fionavar, but got rid of it very shortly after and never looked back. I will admit to one--count it--ONE moment in book 2 that had me weeping all over myself, and that was clearly Kay's intent so he did well there. But boy, for the most part this series is an utter waste of time.

The Republic of Newfoundland and Labrador
    The last book of "The Elenium" (I'm not even going to bother to check the spelling). I guess it was poor plot point number one million, or flat character number one thousand that pushed me over the edge. I want to burn it, but I'll probably just donate it to the library.

Also, Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. SPOILER:

I mean come on, the Chamberlain was easily the most enjoyable character, as he had laid out a master plan that would have changed the world. He didn't need any more motivation than that for what he did. However, for some reason Dan Brown turned his real motivation into an episode of "Three's Company" with some whacky misunderstanding about a sexual relationship being the real reason behind the priest's actions. On top of that, the guy was a fanatic. His plan should have ended with him killing himself to make him the ultimate martyr. As if, with the world watching, a black parachute wouldn't be immediately discovered in the millions of reels of film recording a supposed miracle, or as if no one would ever find the parachute when the world's biggest media frenzy started. The Chamberlain would have to know that, as he was obviously quite intelligent, so I'd imagine he'd come up with a better plan. Also, although Brown tries to make Langdon's getting into the helicopter look like something the Chamberlain couldn't avoid, certainly someone as bright as the Chamberlain would have been smart enough to just say to him "Sorry my son,you must stay; this trip is only going one way." BAM, Langdon hands over the antimatter and the problem is solved. He turns the best character in the book into a total joke, so I gave up reading and made up my own ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    Wow, that is the first time I've every heard this about the Belgariad, which is known for its strong characterization.

And yeah, I completely disagree with you I found the characters in the Belgariad to be extraordinarily...alive.
    You're not the first to disagree with me.

I think Bear is right; readers younger than I am are more likely to feel the Belgariad is good. Along the same lines, I suspect that if I had first come across Lovecraft in my twenties or thirties instead of my teens I wouldn't have been as impressed.

Still, I had seen the characters in the Belgariad in other novels and better developed. Or, maybe more accurately, I had seen characters like them in the old movies from the 1930s and '40s that I enjoyed -- thinking swashbucklers in particular, but also some of the characters seemed to match the roles typified by certain character actors of that period. Even more so, at least one of the settings I recall from the Belgariad struck me as straight out of '40s Hollywood.

Randy M.

Anything written by Dan Brown. This guy takes conspriacy history and mass produces it on a dumbed-down, MTV level. I mean, who jumps out of a helicopter and uses his shirt as a parachute, to actually live and happily end the book (Angels and Demons, I think). I literally threw the book across the room at that point. I tried to listen to The Da Idiot Code on Audio....and would of rather devoted my time to the PG feel-good movie that was showing on the flight. You know the one where the too-cute teen gets her seperated parents back together at the end, and eveyone has a good cry, then group laugh/hug.
    Last edited by matthuckaby; February 15th, 2008 at 11:44 AM.

On by Adam Roberts. I did actually finish it as I was travelling home from holiday and had nothing left to read on a long journey. But the first thing I did when I got indoors was drop kick it out of a window.

Bit unfair to mention a AGOT, Radone, in a thread about stuff you wanted to burn after finishing, since you said you liked it and you're only NOT reading the other books because the series isn't fiished yet.

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneisis View Post
    Bit unfair to mention a AGOT, Radone, in a thread about stuff you wanted to burn after finishing, since you said you liked it and you're only NOT reading the other books because the series isn't fiished yet.
    Blame it on my need to stir up trouble or at least pretend to be a contrarian.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Seeing the choices some people list just hurts my brain. Some thoroughly excellent , nearly flawless books being thrashed here. I should stop reading these sort of threads.

Every single Terry Goodkind book after Faith of the Fallen. I started them all hoping that they would be at least well written. I was very disappointed. I refuse to finish that series.

Quote Originally Posted by Esmenet View Post
    Every single Terry Goodkind book after Faith of the Fallen. I started them all hoping that they would be at least well written. I was very disappointed. I refuse to finish that series.
    I agree with you to some degree. I thought Naked Empire was very slow and quite boring.

However I did think Chainfire and Phantom were pretty well written. I think Terry GoodKind should of finished this series after 8 books or so.

I still need to read Confessor and will be pleased when I have.

for me it's about 90% of the fantasy series novels. Exceptions are LotR & A Game of Thrones.

The other, more recent, one that I wanted to burn is "The Sleeping God" by Violette Malan. Absolute garbage novel and we will be blessed with a second one.

Angry

Books I've beaten, crushed, or thrown across the room:

- The Sword of Truth (Goodkind)
    - Wreathu (Constantine)
    - The Black Jewels Trilogy (Anne Bishop)
    - Chris Bunch's stuff
    - Ship of Magic (Hobb)
    - Kushiel's Dart (Carey)
    - Tigana (Kay)

Kushiel's Dart (Carey)
    Wreathu (Constantine)
    Ah, forgot about these. Both i also gave up on after book one. Prose good, plots not worth my time.

Chris Bunch's stuff
    Ugh, mercifully i had forgotten him too. He wrote the god-awful The Seer King Trilogy. I couldn't even finish the first book (which i almost always do!) One of the worst epics i've ever come across. Worse than Redemption of Althalus!

I don't know about burning it, but I don't think I can make myself finish The Book of Joby, which happens only in the direst of occasions. I know a lot of people really love this book -- and I was hoping to like it despite some reservations -- but I just can't get into the religion aspect, King Arthur story, or Joby (even though he seems to be a pretty well-liked character). I was expecting something original but just am not seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
    Oh and a special edition IPIDAWTBI (The thread title): Melanie Rawn's Exile series. Not because it was bad, oh the contrary, it was superb! But the years of waiting for closure of that series are beginning to eat away at me! I wish I could burn it from my mind until the next volume is released.
    I know exactly how you feel about the Exile Series. I also loved it, but had to put it in the bottom of my book box because of the years of waiting. And we are still waiting! It's ridiculous!