Looking for a book about parallel universe

Hi, I'm trying to find out the title of the book about another Earth in a parallel universe. Searched through numerous Google links - to no avail, apparently. I've read this book like two or three years ago, so it has to be something recent. The plot, as I remember, is like this: a group of scientists working at some supercollider/particle accelerator facility suffer an accident, after which they retrieve some mysterious object - a sphere with blinking light inside (?), which turns out to be a probe from another parallel universe. The "friendly" aliens warn us that our experiments with particle accelerator have dire consequencies, like advertizing our existence to "unfriendly" aliens, which can also travel from one parallel universe to another and, upon arriving, devour unlucky worlds, or something like that. But the message is too late to do the Earth any good - enemy found us and its nanomachines dismantle the Earth. Our heroes, though, manage to escape to another Earth in parallel universe, but like 20 years earlier, so it would make it to 80s. They assume false identities and try to stop all high-energy physics experiments on this Earth. That' all I can remember about the plot. Any help in identifying the book in question would be greatly appreciated.

Read interesting books
    Sounds somewhat like Picoverse by R. Metzger though not exactly so.

Quote Originally Posted by Borman View Post
    I've read this book like two or three years ago, so it has to be something recent.
    Why?

The plot sounded intriguing, so after some searching - it's Einstein's Bridge by John Cramer.

Quote Originally Posted by KEU View Post
    The plot sounded intriguing, so after some searching - it's Einstein's Bridge by John Cramer.
    Yes, yes, that's it. Thank you very much.Finally I would be able to get the book as now I know the title. This was bugging me for quite a while. By the way, how did you manage to find it? I tried googling it with like tens of different keywords, such as "parallel universe", "time travel", "alien", "Earth destruction", "novel", "science fiction" and "80's" and others, not to mention their numerous variations. I consider myself to be quite efficient in online search but this time I failed. Anyway, the mistery is solved.
    P.S. To answer JunkMonkey question: Well, I'm an avid fan of an "alternate reality" and "time travel" SF genre, so usually I'm well abreast of the latest publications in the field. Granted, that my definition of the "latest" includes a decade, so my use of the term "recent" was somewhat misleading, for which I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by Borman View Post
    Yes, yes, that's it. Thank you very much.Finally I would be able to get the book as now I know the title. This was bugging me for quite a while. By the way, how did you manage to find it? I tried googling it with like tens of different keywords, such as "parallel universe", "time travel", "alien", "Earth destruction", "novel", "science fiction" and "80's" and others, not to mention their numerous variations. I consider myself to be quite efficient in online search but this time I failed. Anyway, the mistery is solved.
    It was the same for me, actually
    I also consider myself quite proficient in online searching, but it was a friend who found it; he simply added the word 'synopsis' to the search (something like 'supercollider aliens synopsis', I guess).

Having now read the book, I thought it was pretty good - though I lost some interest towards the end.

Spoiler:
    I thought the whole thing became a lot less interesting once it became clear not much is at stake, and everything will clearly go the way our two superman-type-heroes wish it to. The last 100 pages or so are simply feel-food material.