Dieselpunk Question.

So my question is can you go to space in a dieselpunk-based universe? I mean the tech should be based on the WWI & WWII but still.

This is just me but I'd say no to this.The fuel is a bulk material that has to be replenished regularly and that's tough in space.It's just like a coal powered space craft,it just doesn't make sense.

You can stretch steampunk some by saying your steam is produced by a nuclear or similar source which would be small enough and last long enough to make sense.

But any other fossil fuel just seems too bulky and difficult.

Isn't the nuclear energy a little bit more dieselpunk-like? But anyway thanks

Well dieselpunk would use diesel right?Or some other fossil fuel.

Steampunk uses heated water.How you heat it varies.

Yeah you're right Well i thought about the fuel problem. Basically my solution was that the people found and experimented with a alien tech found in Africa, and of course discovered a way to power mechs with something else or at least make the usage of fuel lower, AND still keeping the WWI and WWII tech design and weaponry. I mean if this is acceptable good, but if not your idea is somehow better.

Re: Dieselpunk Question

As long as it's not hard sci-fi, why not? Something completely ridiculous with Nazis on the moon like Iron Sky comes to mind. Or Captain America (at least the movie), which isn't comedic, but has Nazis that find alien technology.

(As for steampunk, since privateidaho brought it up, you definitely could. You could have a universe like the 1902 silent film, A Trip to the Moon, where they fire a rocket with a very long cannon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Trip_to_the_Moon)

Well yeah i want for example make it like that: The Germans find a crashed UFO during their African Campaign and start researching new kinds of weaponry. Of course the Brits and Allied Forces raid on of the research labs of the Nazis and well the war continues in a whole different level First Earth gets almost decimated, then the Earth-Moon-Mars frontier opens.