Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not really bought.... but just arrived!

A lovely new HB edition of an HG Wells Omnibus, the HG Wells Classic Collection. (Link to Amazon here.)

Is in the same style of the Gollancz 'Black' leather editions of Conan, the Necronomicon and Lyonesse, though not leather: instead, a red embossed cover. (See Amazon link for example.)

If I'm honest, not quite as nice a presentation as the Black Editions (no illustrated endpapers and a very short information page on HG Wells), but still nice though - AND it contains The Time Machine, the Island of Doctor Moreau, The War of the Worlds, The First Men in the Moon and The Invisible Man, with some lovely Les Edwards illustrations throughout.

These are some of my first SF reads: and well worth a try if you've not before.

Officially due out in about three weeks.

Mark
    Mark

Looks lovely, Mark.

I'd love to start collecting some of the black leather copies but I'm not sure what they've put out. I know they've done Lovecraft, Howard and Vance. Is there a catologue anywhere of Gollancz's "special edition" books which is updated regularly?

I also see that Gollancz have started to reissue its SF Masterworks series with a slight redesign and some different titles. I 've found a few publication lists on the internet, but nothing official, so I can't be sure of their veracity.

Gollancz also redesigned and republished some of its Fantasy Masterworks with lovely white covers (example), but again I'm struggling to find a complete publication list anywhere.

The Orion website is atrocious to find anything on.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke_B View Post
    I'd love to start collecting some of the black leather copies but I'm not sure what they've put out. I know they've done Lovecraft, Howard and Vance. Is there a catologue anywhere of Gollancz's "special edition" books which is updated regularly?
    That's pretty much it for black leather

weightless astronaut
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke_B View Post
    Looks lovely, Mark.

I also see that Gollancz have started to reissue its SF Masterworks series with a slight redesign and some different titles. I 've found a few publication lists on the internet, but nothing official, so I can't be sure of their veracity.

Gollancz also redesigned and republished some of its Fantasy Masterworks with lovely white covers (example), but again I'm struggling to find a complete publication list anywhere.

The Orion website is atrocious to find anything on.
    Hi Luke

Partial list here: http://booktionary.blogspot.com/2010...sterworks.html

There are white cover versions of Lud-in-the-mist, The Dragon Waiting, The Broken Sword, Lyonesse, Lankhmar and the Conan Chronicles.

The repackaged masterworks are much nicer, the cover material is a much more durable and lasting form of material. There are some nice new/ updated versions of Hyperion/ Fall of Hyperion and the Prestige coming out early next year that I have on pre-order. Also, other Conan and Lovecraft black leather editions coming out too.

Some good stuff here http://causticcovercritic.blogspot.c...rch?q=gollancz am a big fan of that website.

The new Gollanz website is *really* terrible... The old one wasn't great, but did have a very useful section which listed books they'd published, and were due to publish, split between masterworks and new releases. Real shame they got rid of that.. Now, I use the advanced search on amazon and input Gollancz as the publisher, you can then order the books by publication date to see what is due out in the future.
    Last edited by jamieem; October 1st, 2010 at 09:09 AM.

Jamie, thanks for a helpful response.

Yes, the Amazon search function is a good friend of mine. Using publisher and date of publication I managed to track down all of Gollancz's "Terror Eight" books. But those other links you've posted look useful.

Blog Entries
    Pleased you found that useful.

To be fair to Gollancz, they're in a state of change at the moment. Suspect major changes soon as newly appointed Darren Nash, he that is ex of Orbit, has now been appointed Digital Publisher. I suspect that this will be connected to a website upgrade.

For the leather at the moment they are the three. There was another planned, Conan's Brethren, though this has been delayed and delayed. I can find no record of it at the moment.

I know they would like to do more.

Mark
    Mark

weightless astronaut
    Just remembered there are white cover versions of Chronicles of Amber and Elric as well.

Hope Gollancz are not affected too much by what you described, Mark. We're really lucky to have such a massively talented group of people putting so much work into the genre in this country.

As for the Leather editions, I'd love to see one for the work of Fritz Lieber or H. Rider Haggard.

Blog Entries
    I'm sure that the changes will all be for the positive, jamie.

Funny you should mention the Leiber: I know staff at Gollancz who would love that too, and in a Fantasy wish list, John Wyndham was mentioned (not that that will happen at the moment - they're with Penguin.)

The white covers were special editions for some of the Masterworks. There were

Conan (Book 1)
    Elric of Melnibone
    Lyonesse (Book 1)
    Lankhmar (the first Fritz Leiber)
    The Dragon Waiting (John M Ford)
    Chronicles of Amber (First five books)
    Broken Sword (Poul Anderson)
    Lud in the Mist (Hope Merilees)

(Think that's it!)

This, by the way, is a great site for the Masterworks: LINK HERE.

Mark
    Mark

Under the Dome by Stephen King.

I got the cover I wanted (Of the woman), so yeah! Looking forward to it.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

I've only read her fantasy, so I decided to give her SF a shot.

Hammerfall - C.J. Cherryh
    Forge of Heaven - "

I just ordered The Dervish House by Ian McDonald and one fantasy title from Amazon.com.

Matthew Farrer's Enforcer, which is a collection of the three Shira Calpurnia books (Crossfire, Legacy & Blind), all of which are Warhammer 40k books. Yay!

I just ordered The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi through ABE books. I managed to find a hardback of the Gollancz edition for a reasonable price. It was described as a very good copy and unread but slightly shelf-worn by the seller. I feel a bit nervous about it. However, it was about $30US and I've seen other hardback copies selling for as much as 150! (I wasn't interested in getting the Tor US edition -- I needed to have the original Gollancz edition due to my particular strain of OCD.)

I just ordered Blackout and All Clear by Connie Willis and one fantasy title from Amazon.