Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Off Armageddon Reef (Safehold #1) - David Weber
    Shocking and surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Shocking and surprising.
    True. I didn't actually order it, but I picked it up from Waterstone's today. Dear Gods, it's flipping huge.

I also picked up Remnant Population by Elizabeth Moon, Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke and Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes, the latter two under Gollancz' Masterworks reprints.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    True. I didn't actually order it, but I picked it up from Waterstone's today. Dear Gods, it's flipping huge.

I also picked up Remnant Population by Elizabeth Moon, Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke and Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes, the latter two under Gollancz' Masterworks reprints.
    Rendezvous with Rama is one of my favorite books of all time. I've owned several copies of it and read it so many times. It's just so dark and mysterious and then i had to go and ruin it by reading the rest of the series. It was good, but sometimes mysteries should remain mysterious.

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Rendezvous with Rama is one of my favorite books of all time. I've owned several copies of it and read it so many times. It's just so dark and mysterious and then i had to go and ruin it by reading the rest of the series. It was good, but sometimes mysteries should remain mysterious.
    Well, being part of the Masterworks series must mean something, so hopefully I'll enjoy it. It'll be my first Clarke book

I've ordered used copies of Serpent's Reach by C.J. Cherryh and Wild Seed by Octavia Butler. I've decided to make an effort to fill the gaps in my reading of the genre, starting with these two books written by women science fiction writers in the early 80s. I know the Cherryh is a relatively lesser known work in her oeuvre, but I've heard good things about it. I've heard lots of good things about the Butler for years. I would be interested in non-spoiler views from forum members who have read either books.

Off the top of my head, I can't remember which series Wild Seed is from. Is that a Xenosaga-somethingorother-book?

Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    Off the top of my head, I can't remember which series Wild Seed is from. Is that a Xenosaga-somethingorother-book?
    And by Xeno-mumbo-jumbo, I clearly meant "Lilith's Brood"....so no, I haven't read either of those books. I have a LOT of Cherryh unread on the shelf, but I don't think I have that one.

It's from her Patternists series. It's actually the fourth book written in that sries but first chronologically, and I think I read somewhere it was a good place to start. I'll give it a go and if it's any good I'll go back and read the others.

Traded in a bunch of books, walked out with a load more. These are the sci-fi ones I got.

Peace and War - Joe Haldeman
    A Hymn Before Battle - John Ringo (Yes, it's Baen)
    Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert A. Heinlein

I was hoping for Friday by Heinlein or Clarke's Childhood's End, but they had neither.

Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    And by Xeno-mumbo-jumbo, I clearly meant "Lilith's Brood"....so no, I haven't read either of those books. I have a LOT of Cherryh unread on the shelf, but I don't think I have that one.
    In case you're suggesting that Lilith's Brood is by Cherryh...it's by Octavio Buttler.

No, I was talking about Wild Seed because I couldn't remember the titles of the Lilith's Brood books (I read them in an omnibus)...

Finally got around to ordering the full Starship series by Mike Resnick in hardback, and also got my order in for The Naked God by Peter F Hamilton from Subterranean Press to complete the trilogy

That Xeno-thingy is Xenogenesis. Her other novel series is Patternists. I confuse them all the time.

She won 4 Hugos and Nebulas. Wow. It's so bad she's dead. She wrote beautiful stories on morality and the human condition. A great loss.
    Last edited by Pennarin; September 5th, 2011 at 05:41 PM.

Friday - Robert A. Heinlein.

Timescape by Gregory Benford