Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 167
  1. #106
    \m/ BEER \m/ Moderator Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Near Cows in the Garden State
    Posts
    10,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Off Armageddon Reef (Safehold #1) - David Weber
    Shocking and surprising.

  2. #107
    Registered User Loerwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Shocking and surprising.
    True. I didn't actually order it, but I picked it up from Waterstone's today. Dear Gods, it's flipping huge.

    I also picked up Remnant Population by Elizabeth Moon, Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke and Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes, the latter two under Gollancz' Masterworks reprints.

  3. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    True. I didn't actually order it, but I picked it up from Waterstone's today. Dear Gods, it's flipping huge.

    I also picked up Remnant Population by Elizabeth Moon, Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke and Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes, the latter two under Gollancz' Masterworks reprints.
    Rendezvous with Rama is one of my favorite books of all time. I've owned several copies of it and read it so many times. It's just so dark and mysterious and then i had to go and ruin it by reading the rest of the series. It was good, but sometimes mysteries should remain mysterious.

  4. #109
    Registered User Loerwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,233
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Rendezvous with Rama is one of my favorite books of all time. I've owned several copies of it and read it so many times. It's just so dark and mysterious and then i had to go and ruin it by reading the rest of the series. It was good, but sometimes mysteries should remain mysterious.
    Well, being part of the Masterworks series must mean something, so hopefully I'll enjoy it. It'll be my first Clarke book

  5. #110
    Registered User Luke_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    1,130
    I've ordered used copies of Serpent's Reach by C.J. Cherryh and Wild Seed by Octavia Butler. I've decided to make an effort to fill the gaps in my reading of the genre, starting with these two books written by women science fiction writers in the early 80s. I know the Cherryh is a relatively lesser known work in her oeuvre, but I've heard good things about it. I've heard lots of good things about the Butler for years. I would be interested in non-spoiler views from forum members who have read either books.

  6. #111
    Lemurs!!! Moderator Erfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Up a tree
    Posts
    4,880
    Off the top of my head, I can't remember which series Wild Seed is from. Is that a Xenosaga-somethingorother-book?

  7. #112
    Lemurs!!! Moderator Erfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Up a tree
    Posts
    4,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    Off the top of my head, I can't remember which series Wild Seed is from. Is that a Xenosaga-somethingorother-book?
    And by Xeno-mumbo-jumbo, I clearly meant "Lilith's Brood"....so no, I haven't read either of those books. I have a LOT of Cherryh unread on the shelf, but I don't think I have that one.

  8. #113
    Registered User Luke_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    1,130
    It's from her Patternists series. It's actually the fourth book written in that sries but first chronologically, and I think I read somewhere it was a good place to start. I'll give it a go and if it's any good I'll go back and read the others.

  9. #114
    Registered User Loerwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,233
    Traded in a bunch of books, walked out with a load more. These are the sci-fi ones I got.

    Peace and War - Joe Haldeman
    A Hymn Before Battle - John Ringo (Yes, it's Baen)
    Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert A. Heinlein

    I was hoping for Friday by Heinlein or Clarke's Childhood's End, but they had neither.

  10. #115
    Registered User Pennarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Rimouski, Canada
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    And by Xeno-mumbo-jumbo, I clearly meant "Lilith's Brood"....so no, I haven't read either of those books. I have a LOT of Cherryh unread on the shelf, but I don't think I have that one.
    In case you're suggesting that Lilith's Brood is by Cherryh...it's by Octavio Buttler.

  11. #116
    Lemurs!!! Moderator Erfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Up a tree
    Posts
    4,880
    No, I was talking about Wild Seed because I couldn't remember the titles of the Lilith's Brood books (I read them in an omnibus)...

  12. #117
    Finally got around to ordering the full Starship series by Mike Resnick in hardback, and also got my order in for The Naked God by Peter F Hamilton from Subterranean Press to complete the trilogy

  13. #118
    Registered User Pennarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Rimouski, Canada
    Posts
    331
    That Xeno-thingy is Xenogenesis. Her other novel series is Patternists. I confuse them all the time.

    She won 4 Hugos and Nebulas. Wow. It's so bad she's dead. She wrote beautiful stories on morality and the human condition. A great loss.
    Last edited by Pennarin; September 5th, 2011 at 05:41 PM.

  14. #119
    Registered User Loerwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,233
    Friday - Robert A. Heinlein.

  15. #120
    Registered User Luke_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    1,130
    Timescape by Gregory Benford

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •