Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reading in April 2008

This is where you tell us what you're reading in Fantasy this month. Good or bad, please let us know what you thought.

Over to the Book Clubs....

The SF Book Club is having a rest until May whilst we explore future options. Please read THIS for our discussion.

The Fantasy Book Club discussion is on Tales of the Dying Earth by Jack Vance. A classic of the genre?

Join in if you can!

Mark / Hobbit
    Last edited by Hobbit; March 31st, 2008 at 06:51 PM.
    Mark

Read interesting books
    I've finished The Last Argument of the Kings by J. Abercrombie - and then did a complete reread of the whole trilogy.

My high, high expectations for this one have been met. It's unlikely any fantasy book this year - including R.Morgan and GRRM will top this one for me.

Next I am rereading N. Asher in preparation for the 2 Polity novels coming out soon, while in fantasy I think I will finish Fire Study by M. Snyder.
    I also got M. Doria Russell latest book Dreamers of the Day and J. Winterson' Stone Gods, so I will see what hooks me...

Last night I finished The Shadows of the Torturer by Gene Wolfe.
    I didn't find it exciting or interesting or gripping story. Boring
    2.5 out of 5.

I am starting The Claw of the Conciliator today. If there is no improvement over the first book, it is going to be the last book in the series and after that I am going read Crown of Stars series by Kate Elliott.
    Last edited by Astra_; April 1st, 2008 at 03:33 AM.

I wasn't too fond of The Book of the New Sun either.

I started Lord Foul's Bane yesterday. Based on the reviews and discussion on the board, it seems like people either love it or hate it. Either way, though, I guess it is a must read, so I'll see how it goes.

Planning to start Tales of the Dying Earth soon for the book club.

The Blade Itself and Empire Rising.

The Blade is good and is a fast read. Empire is a little deep and sometimes read likes a beginner wrote it.

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    I'm a little over half way through Before They are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie. It rules. I can't say anything negative about it. It is really fun, I really like all the characters, and so far the battle scenes have been intense and cool.

Just received Last Argument of Kings in the mail. Might have to put Lord Foul's Bane on hold for a bit...

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    finished "Devices and Desires" by K J Parker - one of the best reads for me lately. It's not a "perfect 10", I found things in it that didn't fit, but they were compensated quality of the prose, the epic scale, the chances the author took in building a fantasy series without magic or divine interventions, the ambiguity of the main characters [none of which is clearly good or evil]. Sometimes it's a little detail that makes me adopt or reject an author. In this case it was the letters exchanged between two protagonists [I'm trying not to put spoilers] - took me back more than 20 years ago, when I still used pen and paper and didn't know what email, wordprocessing or chat means.
    I'm sorry now I only picked up this first volume last December in a second hand bookshop and passed on the second in case I didn't like it. now I'll have to order it from abroad.
    I have a question for somebody who also likes this Engineer series : is the Fencer trilogy anywhere near in quality?

I finished Sedia's The Secret History of Moscow. I liked it, would recommend it, but it does have its weaknesses. For one, I think not all of the characters live up to their potential, and there are a few awkward passages as well, but then there are some beautiful ones that even it out. I'm not sure its sense of place lives up to the hype either, since the characters spend most of their time in the underworld. I think it would be more accurate to say it gives one a sense of history that comes with a given place and its mythological roots, which is its main thrust.

I have a few life obligations I must pay attention to this week and next, so my reading will be light. Then, I'll probably pick up Vance's Tales of the Dying Earth, and I want to read Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay before I read his other book for the bookclub's May selection.

Well, if he keeps this up, Sergei Lukyanenko will soon become one of my favorite speculative fiction authors! I found The Night Watch impressive when I read it last year, and The Day Watch lived up to the high expectations generated by its predecessor. Indeed, urban fantasy doesn't get much better than this!

I can't quite believe that we don't hear more about this talented international bestselling author. The Night Watch series is sure to please most SFF fans out there. Lukyanenko is definitely an author worth discovering, so do yourself a favor and check him out!

Check the blog for the full review.

Patrick

I'm starting The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson. I'm not sure if it's considered fantasy but there are some made-up characters, so maybe it is.

Hello

I'm new but thought I'd share too. First time I've joined in on a forum so let me know if I'm doing it wrong lol!

I've just started reading Karen Miller's Empress. Finding it good so far. "A masterclass writer" according to SFF World so am looking forward to getting into it. I'm quite amazed by the amount of authors and titles I've not heard of before that people have said are excellent. I mostly read Sci Fi and Fantasy but think I need to widen my range a bit!

I will soon be starting on Name of the Wind. I hope it'll live up to its hype!

I'm about to finish Perdido Street Station. I've really been enjoying it. Next, I think I might read Gardens of the Moon and finally start the Malazan series or I'll push that off and start Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson or Devices and Desires by K.J. Parker. Not quite sure yet.

I'd also like to know if K.J. Parker's Fencer trilogy is very good. It looks really interesting. If it is any good, does anyone know the best way to get it in the US?

I want to be a princess sic's mom's Avatar
    Just picked up "Small Favor" the new Jim Butcher book today. I'm hoping that Harry doesn't dissappoint, but really he never has. Also picked up "Empress" by Karen Miller. Am looking forward to this one as I really liked her Kingmaker, Kingbreaker duology.