What is snatch point?

I am reading a sc-fi,the story is one man went through time and went back to ice age.it has a phrase"snatch point",what is it?a place from where to another space?Could any friend give me a clew?thanks.the story is from:http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/orig.../bisson41.html

I've not read the story, but i have a lot of time-travel books.

I would understand "snatch point" to be the particular place (in the past or future), that people can be brought back from. They usually have a time-frame to them also, as the operator at the other end has to be observing.

They are quite often one of the important plot points of time-travelstories, when the hero has to race against time to ensure they are at the snatch point at the designated hourt.

That's one thing that has always bugged me about time travel - presumably you are moving through time, but holding your position constant. But the Earth is rotating around the sun, and the solar system is rotating about the galaxy center, and the galaxy is moving through the universe.

So if you were to travel even 1 second back in time and stay in the same point in inertial space, you would be off in the middle of deep space somewhere, while the Earth would have moved millions of miles away.

Unless you use a super computer that could calculate the exact position in inertial space that the Earth moved to, and then teleport you there while moving you through time, you would have a very brief, uncomfortable life after your time travel.

Quote Originally Posted by phil_geo View Post
    That's one thing that has always bugged me about time travel ...
    I'd never thought of that before. Very interesting point.

That's one thing that has always bugged me about time travel - presumably you are moving through time, but holding your position constant. But the Earth is rotating around the sun, and the solar system is rotating about the galaxy center, and the galaxy is moving through the universe.

So if you were to travel even 1 second back in time and stay in the same point in inertial space, you would be off in the middle of deep space somewhere, while the Earth would have moved millions of miles away.

Unless you use a super computer that could calculate the exact position in inertial space that the Earth moved to, and then teleport you there while moving you through time, you would have a very brief, uncomfortable life after your time travel.
    Jepp. And yet almost no time travel stories feature teleportation, which in many cases would be a far more useful technology.

Even if you're travelling through time, don't you think Earth's gravity would still have a hold on you? Why not?