Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Patricia McKillip

Anybody else out there a fan of this enormously talented writer? If so, what do you like about her writing? What novel in particular grabbed your attention the most?

Christopher

A servant of Lord Arioch FitzChivalry's Avatar
    I like her very much, my favorite is The Riddlemaster Trilogy.
    Other favorites are Alphabet of Thorn and The Forgotten Beasts of Eld.
    Great author, her tales are modern fairy tales, and have the same kind of magic that the old ones had.

FitzChivalry,

You must be a Robin Hobb fan. Me too! I'm currently reading her Tawny Man trilogy. On page 31 of "Fool's Errand" and enjoying it very much.

As far as Patricia McKillip is concerned, I'm quite a fan of two novels: The Book of Atrix Wolfe, and In the Forests of Serre. Both excellent poetic-prose.

Christopher

I've only read The Riddlemaster Trilogy by her and really enjoyed it. I thought the writing, language and feel of the book were near perfect.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    I recently bought the trilogy, because of the good reviews on this forum... but it's still waiting on my shelf. I'm looking forward to it!

She is the most gifted writer working in the fantasy genre. McKillip's prose are evocative, dreamy and precise. The words and phrases she writes are so vivid they just seem to leap from the page.

Outside of the Riddlemaster trilogy, my favorites from her are (in no particular order) Ombria in Shadow, The Book of Atrix Wolfe and A Song for Basilisk.

Big fan myself. I have Riddle Master, Winter Rose, The Book of Atrix Wolf, and also a collection of short stories entitled Harrowing the Dragon which I am very much looking forward to reading.

Her writing is truly beautiful; it reminds me of an evocative dance, or music. Love reading her.

I hope to own everything she's written.

A servant of Lord Arioch FitzChivalry's Avatar
    Actually, i ordered Harrowing the Dragon a while ago and i'm waiting for it to arrive, should be good.

Remaxx, yes, i like Robin Hobb (although i chose this nick back in 2001 or so) hope you have fun with Tawny Man, i know i did.

I've read:

The Riddlemaster trilogy
    Forgotten Beast of Eld
    Ombria in Shadow

The Sorceress and the Cygnet
    The Cygnet and the Firebird
    Harrowing the Dragon

Fool's Run
    In the forrests of Serre
    Alphabet of Thorn

The Changeling Sea

Book of Atrix Wolfe

In about the order that i enjoyed them. Riddlemaster and Forgotten Beasts are near-perfect examples of their genres (short epic fantasy, modern fairy tale).
    Ombria in shadow is also a great fantasy, set in a renaissance-era-type city.
    Harrowing the dragon is a good read, but not so consitant in the quality of the plots - is definately possible to see her stories improve over time - even if my favourite novels from her so far are the oldest

The cygnet duology was suprisingly good, considering it was virtualy forgotten - but a new omnibus was just released.

Overall, McKillip is great for lovers of poetic prose and thoughtful stories - not so much "gritty realism" or "consistancy" that everyone seems to love these days . Oh, and not many huge battles, and the conclusion usually comes from the characters uncovering secrets and obtaining wisdom- makes a nice change for secondary world fantasies.

Somethting Rich and Strange next for me, as i've never tried her contemporary fantasy. Then Winter Rose, cos i've heard Solstice Wood is set in the same world.
    Last edited by Yobmod; February 14th, 2008 at 03:40 AM.

I read Something Rich and Strange and thought it was lovely, short book concerning the sea, Faerie, environment, humans, and the complex relations among them all. I also enjoyed The Riddle-Master Trilogy .

I'm trying to decide between Winter Rose or The Book of Atrix Wolfe next. What does anyone suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by twilightandfire View Post
    I'm trying to decide between Winter Rose or The Book of Atrix Wolfe next. What does anyone suggest?
    Both are very good, though I preferred Wolfe over Rose.

I don't know how much I can add to this conversation, since I've only read one book of hers, Winter Rose, which I just finished today in fact. I enjoyed it very much. I really love stories such as this which have the otherwordly and mysterious feel of a fairy tale. The writing is beautiful too, so lyrical, and her imagery is just fabulous.

After enjoying this book so much I believe I shall have to add all of this talented writer's books to my reading list. As if it's not long enough already!

Miriamele, if you enjoyed Winter Rose you should look for Solstice Wood which is kind of a sequel to Winter Rose.

It tells the story of the descendants of the two main characters of Winter Rose.

BTW, has anyone here read Fool's Run. As far as I know it's her only SF novel. It's a bit obscure compared with her fantasy novels so any thoughts are welcome.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    i was also going to put Winter Rose as my favorite, now i've got to look for the Solstice Wood ...

I've also liked Forgotten Beasts of Eld and Riddlemaster. As similar authors I would say C J Cherryh, Carol Berg [Rai-Kirah, not the Bridge of d'Arnath] , Ursula K leGuin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowlander View Post
    Miriamele, if you enjoyed Winter Rose you should look for Solstice Wood which is kind of a sequel to Winter Rose.

It tells the story of the descendants of the two main characters of Winter Rose.
    Thank you!