Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
    Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Heroes Die was the official sponsor of my free-time in New Zealand.

It is one of the best books I have ever read. I really enjoyed the POV shifts from 3rd to First and the jumps between overworld and earth, fantasy/futuristic were fantastic!!!

The characters were awesome and the no-nonsense action, quite a thrill to read.

I can't wait to read his other books, I am a huge fan.

So hype him up, or create a buzz, or Hyzz or Bupe, whatever praise he gets, I think he deserves.

Glad you enjoyed it juzzza, you're going to really like Blade of Tyshalle, I think it's a better book overall.

I wonder if it's odd that I want to kick someone's ass after I read a Stover book.......oh no! Congress or whoever needs to censor him, hehe....

The only things *I* want to kick are the publishing companies who aren't promoting him enough...

Wow, great book, Heroes Die is!
    Mathew Stover is definately one of my new favorite authors!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleg
    Wow, great book, Heroes Die is!
    Mathew Stover is definately one of my new favorite authors!

True that! I'm beginning to think Mr. Stover is going to need his own forum in the author's section, yes?

I'd certainly not be opposed to that idea.

Future suicide victim
    I'm in the middle of BoT and all I can say is holy sh*t!!

I've never seen a bunch of characters in worse situations...They better not pull this off with a cheesy miracle...

There are some things I don't get though...maybe I should read it again but it's easier to have you guys explain it...

*SPOILERS*

Did Hari get power in his legs back? I mean how was he able to save Tan'elKoth from the trap?

How did Delien know that Rossi was an actor?

Can the people on Earth see through the eyes of every Aktiri on Overworld as part of the entertainment? Or do the Aktiri have an online/offline button?

Is Kollberg possessed? That is one evil dude!

What happened to the Duke in Heroes Die? Can't remember if he already bit the dust...

I can't remember if Avery was in Heroes Die at all. Was she? And did she do anything significantly?

*END*

Thanks guys!

Archmage
    Quote Originally Posted by Shehzad
    Thou didnst like Stover and Mieville? HERESY!! Thou arest hereby EXCOMMUNICATED!!

j/k

Since I am the first of the Stover brigade to respond, I'll put a few pints down and then wait for FF and Neologik to fill in the blanks.

First of all, one thing I liked about Stover is that his book as a gritty realism about it. This isn't a fairy tale-people are going to get hurt and he makes no apologies for it. Like in real life, people die, and they die in ugly ways. Deaths are not always heroic, injuries are not always glorified, just like in real life.

Secondly, I found none of characters to be "cardboard" per se. First of all, Caine isn't your everyday hero. In fact, he's a cold-blooded assassin, and yet he's the hero. One of the villains, Ma'elkoth is a good king, someone who brings stability to the land. Berne has more of the characteristics of a villain, yet it could be argued that Caine's actions are just as bad. The only character who has the characteristics of a hero(ine) is Pallas Ril. There is no clearcut battle between good and evil, no sides, no heroic knights, no damsels in distress, no evil villains. Instead there are people with various motivations, mostly selfish, sometimes noble. It is a clash of motivations and interests rather than a humdrum battle of good-vs-evil.

Thridly, Stover doesn't preach at you. he doesn't tell you what to think about his characters - instead he just shows you the characters and lets you make up your mind. Someone I know though Berne had some characteristics of a hero - he does, in fact!! It's up to you to decide.

As far as the quote and Caine are concerned, remember that Caine is above all, an ACTOR. he HAS to be over-the-top, or larger-than-life to his audience. The quote "I am..." was at a time when he was mentally preparing himself to assume the mantle of Caine. Remember that he was going into a battle for his life against his will for the entertainment of others. Also, in the rigidly casted world to which he belonged, he was ultimately powerless and insignificant, while in the Overworld he is powerful, a force to be reckoned with. It is these contrasting roles that you have to keep in mind.

Hope you will give it another go,
    Shehzad

Stover sounds interesting. What book should I start with ?

Future suicide victim
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage
    Stover sounds interesting. What book should I start with ?

"Heroes Die", then "Blade of Tyshalle"

I'm not sure about his other works though...

Archmage
    Quote Originally Posted by Quagmire
    "Heroes Die", then "Blade of Tyshalle"

I'm not sure about his other works though...

Thanks man

Blog Entries
    Come on now, Powers That Be!! This MWS thread is damn near 3 years old and he still doesn't have his own place in the Author section. This must change!!

If I had the power, I'd do it. Oh man, read that one bad review on that Amazon link, it's hilarious.

That is one old post Archmage dredged up. I don't think I could be quite that eloquent nowdays, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spears&Buckler
    Come on now, Powers That Be!! This MWS thread is damn near 3 years old and he still doesn't have his own place in the Author section. This must change!!
    S&B... why worry? You already know he has his own playground...

--gabe chouinard
    http://s1ngularity.net