Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Dragon Reborn, don't quote me, but I think TSR stands for "This Stuff Reeks!".

I could be wrong, though.

--gabe chouinard

TSR is the publisher of the Dungeons and Dragons role-playing games, as well as a series of novels of decidedly uneven quality (mostly poorer though) based on the game. As neologik says, most of those books REEK, but there are SOME gems in there - you just have to look hard and long to find them.

Prime example: Weis & Hickman's Dragonlance Chronicles

Shehzad: Thank you for your kind words and insightful defense! Yes, I'm a big fan of Donaldson and many others.

Both Shehzad and Neologik understood exactly what I meant when I used the phrase "tsr novel." The more modern term is now Wizards of the Coast novel.

Tsr was used as a poor reference to my age. It stems from my younger years when my friends would ask what I thought of certain books. My common response was: "*shrug* It's a tsr novel". That being the only answer one had to give. I do regret many of the wasted hours I spent reading through drek searching for those few nuggets of gold. *sigh*

jiels, have you read China Miéville?

--gabe chouinard
    (who just *couldn't* get jiels' name right!)
    [This message has been edited by neologik (edited October 18, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by neologik (edited October 18, 2001).]

Hey Neologik,

Don't feel bad about getting my name right, I mispell it all the time too!

No, I haven't read Miéville yet. Next week I think. I almost bought it today but I hadn't brought enough money. I bought Heroes Die and Hyperion instead.

From what I was reading on the cover, it sounds (and looks) really good!

Just finished the prologue of HD. I remember now, that part of the problem I had with this book is that it really reminds me of my last breakup. It conjured up many bad memories which made it hard to read.

But now that more time has passed, I'm finding it easier to get into. And it IS better then I had originally thought. Here is a quote that I really liked: "It's not you who pays for it, Hari. It's Toa-Phelathon. His wife. His daughters. Thousands of wives, husbands, parents, children. They're the ones who pay for it.(26)"

I do think that Stover is using more description then I normally like, but that's not too bad.

(If this violates copyright law please let me know so I can remove it. You can take the kid out of school but not the school out of the kid. )

Did I hear Miéville's name being mentioned? Sorry, I couldn't resist dropping in and once again reminding everybody how great a book Perdido Street Station is!

Heroes Die and Hyperion? Easily two of the best spec fic books written in the past 20 years.

Jiels, it could always be a case of timing. Let us know what you think. If you don't run out and get Blade of Tyshalle after finishing HD, I'd be surprised.

There's a new interview on curledup.com w/ MWS. He does the most entertaining interviews ever, I swear...

Great interview!

Would never pegged him as a watcher of FarScape.

I've got to get my hands on some Stover books! Yet I can't seem to find them in any store around here. Are they hard to find?

It seems that since having my eyes opened to the fact that fantasy could actually be well written (GRRM) I have been in a constant search of authors who push the boundaries. I am so sick of the Jordan's and Goodkind's of the world who stick with the same tired formula (invincible heroes, miraculous magical escapes, cliched characters, etc.) and milk it for all its worth.

If indeed Stover is even half the writer Martin is... I've got to find his books.

They are availble on amazon.com and bn.com, I bought one each from both.

Rumor has it they will be back on shelves in Borders.

Stover is a FarScape fan? Well then I have to read this interview. I've looked at my local paperback trading store and they haven't heard of him. I guess I'll have to buy a new one.

If indeed Stover is even half the writer Martin is... I've got to find his books
    Oh he's significantly more than half as good. I would say as good, although the reason GRRM's series engaged me more was the wider scope he could engage in with a 6-book series, whereas Stover limited himself to one book, albeit a brilliant one.

I'll HAVE to get Blade of Tyshalle!

Oh BTW Neologik, where is the great man himself, as promised?

[This message has been edited by Shehzad (edited November 01, 2001).]

Stover has become a regular at the Fantastic Metropolis forum at http://www.delphi.com/metrofanatic

--gabe