Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 !!

Disabled by the evil Mods Belgarion's Avatar

Top 10 !!

Just thought I ought to post the top ten selected from a large selection of readers on the www.circle-of-fantasy.com website!

Interest to note that the underrated Eddings, Goodkind, and Tolkien all feature in the top 10. It doesn't surprise me though.

Any comments and thoughts on this top 10?

It is coming from the opinions of many hard-core fantasy readers.

Placing Author Book Points
    1 J.R.R. Tolkien Lord of the Rings 592
    2 Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow and Thorn 408
    3 George R.R. Martin A Song of Ice and Fire 355
    4 Robert Jordan The Wheel of Time 225
    5 Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth 192
    6 Raymond E. Feist The Riftwar Saga 175
    7 David Eddings The Belgariad Saga 161
    8 M.Weis & T.Hickman Dragonlance 148
    9 Terry Pratchett Discworld-Cycle 132
    10 Robin Hobb The Farseer Saga 131
    11 Terry Brooks The Shannara Saga 102
    12 J.K. Rawling Harry Potter Series 96
    13 Marion Zimmer Bradley Avalon Series 88
    14 Paul Kearney The Monarchies of God 88
    15 J.R.R. Tolkien The little Hobbit 82

This seems pretty consistent with the various polls on this discussion board. The notable exception being Goodkind at number 5.. there are only a few of us here that think of his work so highly!

I've read everything on this list except The Monarchies of God by Kearney. I've never even heard of this author. What is this book about.. any opinions?

Sorry!! No need to respond to Kearney opinions here, I just read through the rest of the recent posts and found one devoted to him.

[This message has been edited by Cygnus (edited October 31, 2001).]

This poll is not too suprising.

The Internet Top 100 SF/Fantasy List is another one, which is updated pretty regularly and seems to have a wider poll base.

Check www.paulkearneyonline.com for info. He's a UK author, his first book of Monarchies of God, Hawkwood's Voyage will hit US Shelves this January.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There is also another thread here which mentions Paul Kearney's work. Read the first & recommended.

Hobbit
    Mark

I'd say the top 3 spots are rightly earned and justified. Having read all three, I'm quite pleased with their relative positions on the poll.

Just goes to show that despite all the criticism of those top 3 works that goes on in the forum, the masses have spoken. Hey Belgarion, would it be possible to use your list in a court of law as support material in a case against the anti-Tolkien/Williams/Martin prosecutors?

Hmmm...this is interesting. IMHO,there is not so important in which place the books are. The important thing is that,they are "in".
    First-LotR...boring.But there is no surprise,because:
    1]The book is still very popular and many people thinks-J.R. is first,so he is the best.
    2] Many people,who usually don't read fantasy,bought LotR and said "this is the book"
    3] The film
    Second-"Memory,Sorrow and Thorns..." by Tad Williams and
    Third-ASOIF by GRRM-I haven't read these series,so I can not make good comment.
    Fouth-WoT-if the books was about six or five,Jordan coud be leader,but after books 8&9,this is the result.
    Fifth-SoT-I read this book,but I won't cmment its higher place.
    Sixth-"Riftwar Saga" by Raymond Feist.
    Legend is legend,after all
    Seventh-"Belgariad" by Eddings-the same story like Feist-legend is legend...
    Eight-DragonLance-nice result to this good book.
    Ninth-DiscWorld- well...OK.
    Tenth-"Farseer"-the saga was pretty boring,but maybe for you it is not.
    My final comment is:
    As a placing,this list is not very good. But as "racers" it is OK.
    P.S. Belgarion,I invite you to join us in the Message Board of www.eddingschronicles.com

woah, i never thought there was a place where you could talk and people would listen. i love Tolkien and i am sad to say my interest in literature just sparked two years ago. i have barley cracked Tolkien open, rounding off with the Silmarillion. i think the Silmarilion should be read before the Hobbit which i believe is necessary to read before the Lord of the Rings, some people don't believe so. geez i need to find someone who wants to chat about Tolkien or who wants to challenge me. it seems i'm surrounded by people who wouldn't know a book from a movie accept by the actors. i want people who are listening to me, and not thinking of what their gonna say once i shut up. Sustinance - and i don't give a damn for grammar -

Placing Author Book Points
    1 J.R.R. Tolkien Lord of the Rings 592
    2 Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow and Thorn 408
    3 George R.R. Martin A Song of Ice and Fire 355
    4 Robert Jordan The Wheel of Time 225
    5 Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth 192
    6 Raymond E. Feist The Riftwar Saga 175
    7 David Eddings The Belgariad Saga 161
    8 M.Weis & T.Hickman Dragonlance 148
    9 Terry Pratchett Discworld-Cycle 132
    10 Robin Hobb The Farseer Saga 131
    11 Terry Brooks The Shannara Saga 102
    12 J.K. Rawling Harry Potter Series 96
    13 Marion Zimmer Bradley Avalon Series 88
    14 Paul Kearney The Monarchies of God 88
    15 J.R.R. Tolkien The little Hobbit 82

Like earlier posters have said, this is not a surprising list, though that Harry Potter is only 12th is a bit of a upset. Considering the nature of very general and popular fantasybooks(series) on the list.

But popular is not the same as good nor is unpopular necessarily bad. De gustibus non est disputandum and so forth.

When will the world awaken to Mieville and Stover?

(I win FF!)

The world wants crap, as usuall...

God, that's depressing.

It just goes to prove my theory that 90% of people have no taste.

Luckily we've got that 10% here, of course.

Ahem.

Shezad and Fitzflagg, you keep putting in your plugs for Mievielle (which i support) and Stover (which i will one day read!) but have either of you actually voted for them on any of these sites. Cause if you haven't, you shouldn't complain about the results they come up with!

Sammie

[This message has been edited by Sam82 (edited November 02, 2001).]

I don't think these are the opinions of HARD-CORE fantasy readers. These are the opininons of POPULAR fantasy readers. Hard-core fantasy readers would never read such books (maybe except a couple). Hard-core fantasy readers would prefer the less-popular, but more enriching authors.

I don't know about that one, K-9(ups )4085.
    Hard-core... how does one define that one? I'm sure that mosst of these people who have voted on this particular site consider themselves to be really big (maybe even hc) fantasyfans. And I'm not trying to take that away from them.

I consider myself rather much a really hc-fantasist. I haven't read all the books on the list, most of them though (meaning that I've read "a" book or more from most series and none of Martin's or Rowlings') and I wouldn't include all of them in my list of top-20 fantasy of all time. Or the most influential ones or important. Some of them yes.

Like Shannara would be very high if one considers the impact it made, being the first of Tolklones and influencing a lot of people that way. But I'd never put Terry Brooks himself even near Top-250 best fantasy-writers.

About complaining about different results. I used to be younger and more hot-headed (and occasionally am still), condemning garbage-mongers like Brooks, Goodkind or McKiernan to the deepest pits imaginable (and I can imagine quite a Lot!). I could imagine myself attacking this kind of list with venom and "rightheous" anger and fury, declaring some of the books and authors to be unworthy to be spat upon.
    But I have changed. A bit.

This List, as well as many more on the net and elsewhere, tells us that there are lot of fantasyreaders who love these books. Nothing more, nothing less. It's their prerogative.

On the other hand, we can discuss whether these readers have read fantasy extensively (or how old they are etc.). I'm not surprised that such imaginative classics as King of the Elfland's Daughter or Jürgen are missing from the list, although it saddens me Neither is there a single book by C.S. Lewis' (Narnia) or Ursula K. LeGuin (Earthsea). Besides Tolkien and his copy-cat Brooks, all the books are more or less written from late-80's onward.

All the books are more or less huge, high fantasy -trope series. Basically the biggest sellers and also the most conventional and least exiting ones. Plus the All-Father

What more is missing? Guy Gavriel Kay. Jorge Luis Borges. Neil Gaiman. David Gemmell. Mervyn Peake (Ghod!). Sean Stewart. R.A. MacAvoy. Tim Powers. Jack Vance. Gene Wolfe. Robert E. Howard. Robert Holdstock. Charles de Lint. Fritz Leiber. Roger Zelazny... And these are just the one's on the tip of my tongue. Surely some of these authors deserve better?

I'm not certain what I really wanted to say, but one thing I'm certain of: J.R.R. Tolkien is not under-rated. Long live the king!