Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Came back to fantasy (Hobb's Farseer or Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn)

Hello all, I recently returned to ready fantasy novels thanks in part to GRRM's excellent series, which I eagerly anticipate to continue.... some day.

In the mean time I have in my posession two books; The Assasins Apprentice: by Robin Hobb and The Dragons bone Chair: by Tad Williams.

For anyone who may have read both of these; Since these are both trilogies, and I would hate to start one then decide to move to the other, can you state your preference between the two and why?

Thanks for any comments in advance.

A

Sorry, you all are probably tired of "what to read threads". Found this in the recomendations thread. Thanks

If you like GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire chances are you will enjoy Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams. In a couple of interviews, Martin acknowledged this series that helped inspire him to write ASOIF.

Self-moderating new member, I like that!

As to the main question, I've seen a fairly even amount of recommendation for both series. I personally enjoyed both very much and don't think you could go wrong with either.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Self-moderating new member, I like that!

As to the main question, I've seen a fairly even amount of recommendation for both series. I personally enjoyed both very much and don't think you could go wrong with either.
    that's a toss up...though i think i'd give the nod to the Dragonbone Chair

Both are great and Krighton is right, it's a toss up. I think I'll go with Hobb just to keep the votes even.

Truly though, I think I prefer Hobb because the books are a bit darker, or maybe more somber would be a better word. I'm not sure either word really fits what I'm trying to explain, but that's my vote in any case.

I like both series - Hobb a little more, simply because she focuses much more on character than Williams. And I love the main character of the Farseer Trilogy because he's so...human.

But both are engrossing reads: well written, good stories in their own right. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I really like Hobb. One of the better fantasy writers out there. I didn't care for Williams, though. Dragonbone Chair barely held my attention, and if I'd had something else to read at the time, I would have gladly switched over. I attempted to continue, but quit reading him halfway through The Stone of Farewell. Or I think that's what it was called.

Goblin Princess Teresa Edgerton's Avatar
    I think it depends on what you are looking for in a book. First-person-viewpoint intimacy (Farseer) or epic sweep (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn).

A servant of Lord Arioch FitzChivalry's Avatar
    I prefer Hobb, but it's really up to your preference, Williams tells a more traditional tolkienese tale of ancient evil stirring and good guys going on a quest to stop it. Hobb tells a story that is less obvious and more dark, complex and full of emotions, i also think her prose is better.
    Both are not on the same level with GRRM.

Hobb easily. Dragonbone chair is very bland fantasy with dull characters.

Much prefer Hobb and her characters.

Quote Originally Posted by FitzChivalry View Post
    I prefer Hobb, but it's really up to your preference, Williams tells a more traditional tolkienese tale of ancient evil stirring and good guys going on a quest to stop it. Hobb tells a story that is less obvious and more dark, complex and full of emotions, i also think her prose is better.
    Both are not on the same level with GRRM.
    I put Hobb on the same level as Martin, but for different reasons.

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn, definitely. It's on a grander scale than Farseer and for me the ending was a bit more fulfilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I put Hobb on the same level as Martin, but for different reasons.
    I wouldn't put her exactly on the same level, but it's still preferable to Tad Williams and more GRRM like than Williams too. So I would definitely say go with Hobb.

A servant of Lord Arioch FitzChivalry's Avatar
    Several years ago, a friend of mine emailed Robin Hobb and said that he admired her work, she is a great author but Martin is better. What can i say, my friends are not very tactful.
    In any case, Hobb thanked him for his compliments and told him that he is right, Martin is better.
    So even Robin Hobb is with me on this. Not that it proves a point, just an amusing story.