Looking For a Book About Earth Underwater

I'm looking for a book about Earth (or another planet) if it was flooded with water and people lived on the surface in boats and atolls (meaning they're not mermaids). Something like Waterworld, but... not as sucky. It can be either fiction or non-fiction, but preferably fiction. If there are any comic books, movies, or online articles describing a life like this, that's fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by theWallflower View Post
    I'm looking for a book about Earth (or another planet) if it was flooded with water and people lived on the surface in boats and atolls (meaning they're not mermaids). Something like Waterworld, but... not as sucky. It can be either fiction or non-fiction, but preferably fiction. If there are any comic books, movies, or online articles describing a life like this, that's fine too.
    In Dan Simmons Hyperion series there is a planet called Mare Infitus (sp) thats is completely water.

Several movies have certain aspects (A.I etc) but nothing with major detail that I can think of.

J G Ballard's The Drowned World ?

Try Robert Silverberg's "Conquerors From The Darkness".It takes place hundreds of years after earth has been conquered by aliens who have turned it into a water world .

bibliovore
    I suggest *Door Into Ocean* by Joan Slonczewski. An alien world where earth-descended people live on natural rafts, in harmony with their ecology until they are invaded ... So far from sucky that it doesn't even exist on the same planet as "Waterworld"! A mind-stretching read!

Try Kuttner's "Fury" (credited to the pseudonym O'Donnell); humanity has escaped from Earth (atomic war) and now lives in undersea cities on Venus.

After London by Richard Jefferies is good

Jack Vance's Trullion: Alastor 2262, found in the Alastor TPB, takes place on a planet whose surface is mostly covered with water. The locals live on islands, and much of the action in the book centers around a murder mystery and the game of huissade that Vance invented.

Are you more interested in abovewater or underwater life? Arthur C. Clarke's the Deep Range takes place underwater, and DC's Aquaman and Marvel's Sub-Mariner comics feature heroes who live underwater.

There's also Serpent Mage by Weis and Hickman, if you don't mind fantasy. It takes place in a realm almost entirely composed of water, and although it's part of a 7 part series it's basically a standalone.
    Last edited by Cosmicomic; April 29th, 2008 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicomic View Post
    Are you more interested in abovewater or underwater life?
    I'm looking for above-water type stuff.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Stephen Baxter's new book "Flood" is precisely about this subject.

Read 20,000 leages under the sea from Jules Verne, is a classic!!!

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just to add to Mith's recommendation, I've just finished Stephen Baxter's Flood for review (due June) and it sounds like just what you want.

Mark / Hobbit
    Mark

Try Blue World by Jack Vance.

Here

It's acracker.