Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Invisible Characters?

Was thinking of some things I didn't see often in fantasy novels, and realized that I've yet to see invisible characters. In any shape or size. Or color.

Hm... You guys know any novels?

Quote Originally Posted by metamike View Post
    I didn't see often in fantasy novels, and realized that I've yet to see invisible characters. In any shape or size. Or color.
    How would you see them if these characters are invisible?

Wasn't Thief With No Shadow about a character that could make themselves practically invisible? I read that a few months back, and really enjoyed it a great deal.

Synopsis from Amazon.co.uk says:

Melke is a wraith, which means she has the ability to walk unseen. After being forced to steal a necklace, she is hunted down by the victim of the crime, Bastian sal Vere. He explains that the necklace was strung with tears, and that without it, Bastian cannot break the curse that is destroying his family. He orders Melke to regain the necklace, in exchange for her brother to be healed. But she had given the necklace to the salamanders, the fire breathing creatures that live underground. She must risk her own life. Meanwhile, Bastian becomes involved in solving a brutal murder of a young pregnant girl in the town of Theirry. This is a strong character-based fantasy, full of romantic tension and gritty storylines.

@Rob: Ugh, I just GOL'd. Groaned out loud. That pun made my day though.

And I'll check out Thief With No Shadow, seems like an interesting storyline and the local library has a copy of it, thanks

The Hobbit/LOTR?

Brent Weeks's trilogy - shadows edge etc

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    How would you see them if these characters are invisible?
    And then there was The Invisible Book of Invisibility to be taught at Hogwarts, the order for which was canceled, as I recall, because no one could find them.

If you're willing to stretch your definition of fantasy just a mite, there's always H. G. Wells' The Invisible Man.

Randy M.

Also, if you're willing to stretch to horror novels, Bentley Little's The Ignored has a different slant on this theme.

Wow, I believe we've found a hole. Superheroes, yes, and the occasional supporting character, but where is the main character who goes invisible? Fantasy writers take note.

Actually, I'm sure there's probably some shorter fiction that uses it, but I don't know of any off-hand.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon F View Post
    Brent Weeks's trilogy - shadows edge etc
    My first thought also. Only because the Kylar (main character) has the arcane item that completely renders him invisible. Convenient for the profession assassin (whoa, sorry Durzo, 'wetboy' it is).

Quote Originally Posted by Randy M. View Post
    And then there was The Invisible Book of Invisibility to be taught at Hogwarts, the order for which was canceled, as I recall, because no one could find them.
    [...]

Randy M.
    Being an accomplished idiot, it took noticing my own post to remind me of Harry and his cloak.

Randy M.

The Doctor is in.
    One of Bigby's (The Big Bad Wolf; sired by the North Wind) children in the Fables graphic novels is a wind being, and invisible (it accidentally killed people when young by feeding on their breath, before it knew better.)

For those of you who have never given Fables a chance, or consider comics beneath you -- you are missing out on a wonderful story.

So it's not that uncommon if the main characters in the two best-selling stories in the entire world (Hobbit + LOTR and Harry Potter) carry a device that makes them invisible.

Robert Cormier's Fade has such a character. It's YA, but as I recall pretty serious.

hidden in plain sight

Speaking of Cormier's Fade, I liked the "fade" characters (gray men) in Jordan's WOT series, who weren't exactly invisible, but were easily missed as the eyes of bystanders just slid right past them, such that they were essentially "hidden in plain sight." Also brings up the role of masking cloaks that can make objects difficult to see (Lan's cloak in the same series, as an example). And Modesitt's Recluce series has black order wizards who can create light shields to hide themselves from white chaos wizards and the like.