Hey guys, im new and looking for a name of a book

there is an issue of wired magazine that had an article a while back that stated that science fiction was one of the last forms of philosophy because of the topics that it tackles, one of the examples that it gives is a book that tackles the question of what if man met god, What if you could confront, talk to, or kill God? i though this sounded like a fascinating idea for a book and was wondering if this article was being facetious, or if this was a real book and if so whats the title? i googled the idea a hundred different ways and was hoping somebody here could help.
    much thanks
    james

Read interesting books
    One such book though more satirical then serious is The Jehovah Contract by V. Koman

well i just read about it on amazon, unfortunately the story doesnt sound near as interesting as the concept would lead one to believe. oh well, thanks for your help

Hi James,

I can think of atleast four short stories that match your requests.

The first is The God Gun by one of my favourite authors, Barrington J Bayley. You can read it here:http://www.geocities.com/bayleyfan/godgun.html

Arthur C Clarke's The 9 Billion Names of God is another very good one along a similar line. Read it here: http://www.geocities.com/rojodos/docs/9000000000.htm

The third is The Last Answer by Isaac Asimov and you can read it here:http://destructionoverdrive.blogspot...ac-asimov.html. It is not one of Asimov's best stories.

However, the similarly titled The Last Question, also by Asimov, is one of the best short stories out there and you can (should) read that here:http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html
    Last edited by Ropie; May 7th, 2008 at 04:25 AM.

His Dark Materials by Pullman addresses this possibility.

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    How about The Race for God by Brian Herbert? It's heading in that general direction.

ok the race for god looks like that may be it
    if not, it still looks like a great book
    thanks

If you are interested in other stories on this theme, Octavia Butler's Book of Martha is a conversation a woman has with God when he grants her one wish for mankind. Not sure if my link contains the whole story, though, since I think the stories were removed from scifi.com at some point in the last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Raule View Post
    Not sure if my link contains the whole story, though, since I think the stories were removed from scifi.com at some point in the last year.
    It's the whole story, and a thought provoking one. Although not really SF, or?

Well worth getting her Bloodchild collection, the newer version of which has this story.

James Morrows 2 WFA award winners include a conversation with God as a "female" sea sponge (Only Begotten Daughter) and the discovery of God's corpse (Towing Jehovah).
    Last edited by Yobmod; May 7th, 2008 at 03:01 PM.

Yobmod, thanks, I was trying to remember the name of the book, "Blameless in Abaddon" along with "The Eternal Footman" the last two books in the series starting with "Towing Jehovah" by James Morrow to suggest that, but could not remember it, and could not find it on my book shelf last night. Nice to have all of these supplemental brains around to help. I don't remember all of the details, but it is a somewhat comic encounter with God.

well, they aren't exactly sci-fi books, but Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series has a full pantheon of gods that can be vulnerable to mortals at times. i also remember a dragonlance book where Raistlin kills the god of darkness and takes (her?) spot. from what i've been reading lately, most sci-fi books are more... atheistic... if you wan't gods, they're more likely show up in fantasy books. of course fantasy and sci-fi overlap a lot these days.

The Mysterious Stranger by Mark Twain is slightly different in that it is the devil who interacts with people.

Star Maker, by Olaf Stapledon, has its narrator being the subject of a "revelation" of the organisation and fate of the cosmos. He then goes exploring and eventually has a glimpse of its creator (while still managing to be back home in time for dinner, )

The book is as much a sci-fi book as one about the religious experience.

I second the recommendation of Stapledon's Star Maker. I thought it was a fascinating book, but it is known to get recieved as a tough book to wade through by unprepared readers.

Or you could try the horrifying Star Trek movie The Final Frontier.