Thread: Bugs

Hybrid View

Bugs

Can anyone recommend any novels featuring some sort of insect invasion or infestation? I'd rather it not be gigantic bugs a la Them. I dont mind bugs that are kind of big but not gigantic.
    Last edited by theDood; May 19th, 2008 at 06:34 PM.

Chill out - it's only me

Check out Enders Game

Orson Scott Card is one of my favourite writers - you might want to check out Ender's Game. The book is about the International Fleet, a multi-national organization that was set up to defend the earth from a second alien invasion, and their method of using child soldiers to fight for them. The aliens, the buggers, are what stick out when alien invasion comes to mind.

The Green Brain by Frank Herbert is good. It deals with a planetwide infestation of all kinds of different insects that seem to be winning against mankind, no matter how many pesticides they come up with.

The Furies by Keith Roberts
    Spiderworld by Colin Wilson

both those involve big wasps/spiders but are good books

Xeno by DF Jones - alien insect like invaders. I've just started reading this so can't comment on it.

Web by John Wyndham - spiders
    The hephaestus plague by Tom Page - fire starting beetles

There's plenty of pulpy horror titles - slugs - shaun hutson, locusts - guy n smith, squirm....
    Last edited by Triffid; May 23rd, 2008 at 11:25 AM.

Colin Wilson never finished the series starting with Spiderworld, did he? I bought the first two of the series (three projected, I think), but the third never came out?

Never mind, I see that much happened after the first two....
    http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/colin-wilson/
    Last edited by catsrule1; May 23rd, 2008 at 12:02 PM. Reason: new info

I was only aware of 4 books in the series but see on the link that another 3 are mentioned - I think these might be reissues of the same books with different titles??

I would only recommend the first two of the series. I couldn't finish "the magician".