Looking for a Guide or Index to the genre

Hi,

I am just now getting into science fiction.

Back in junior high school (a LOOONG) time ago, my english teacher was a huge SF fan. He made us read The Martian Chronicles and various Phillip K Dick stories, all of which I enjoyed immensely. More interestingly, he had bookshelves of old books that he let us check out. Including several old issues of Analog, of which I took a particular interest to.

Somewhere in the 20 years between then and now I read Ender's Game and Snow Crash, both of which I enjoyed, but I haven't taken a real interest in SF.

A few weeks ago I was browsing the bookstore and I was very surprised to find out that Analog still exists. I bought it immediately. I loved it, and want more. I also got Asimov's and some "Years best SF" collections.

But where do I go from here? It seems that I have a lot of reading to do, I just don't know where to start.

What would be ideal is if there was some kind of publication which indexed the history of SF by listing all of the important titles and descriptions of them, kind of like the "Penguin Guide to Jazz Music", but for SF. Is there anything like this?

Quote Originally Posted by WizardOfYendor View Post
    Hi,

I am just now getting into science fiction.

Back in junior high school (a LOOONG) time ago, my english teacher was a huge SF fan. He made us read The Martian Chronicles and various Phillip K Dick stories, all of which I enjoyed immensely. More interestingly, he had bookshelves of old books that he let us check out. Including several old issues of Analog, of which I took a particular interest to.

Somewhere in the 20 years between then and now I read Ender's Game and Snow Crash, both of which I enjoyed, but I haven't taken a real interest in SF.

A few weeks ago I was browsing the bookstore and I was very surprised to find out that Analog still exists. I bought it immediately. I loved it, and want more. I also got Asimov's and some "Years best SF" collections.

But where do I go from here? It seems that I have a lot of reading to do, I just don't know where to start.

What would be ideal is if there was some kind of publication which indexed the history of SF by listing all of the important titles and descriptions of them, kind of like the "Penguin Guide to Jazz Music", but for SF. Is there anything like this?
    If you find one let me know. Other than that just start hitting the recommendation threads.