Data on Children and Reading

This is for Gary and Dan, who are always going off about kids' reading habits. Now you have some actual data to chomp on:

http://www.scholastic.com/aboutschol...dingreport.htm

Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    Interesting reading as well as meshing with a conversation conducted with relatives this past week. They are of an age with me so our viewpoint is of the older generation, pre-boomer by a half-decade. Our consensus proved to be that our grandchildren might grow up comfortable with Kindle and the like but it would more probably be their children who would transition to electronic storage. We also agreed that it might come faster if trees became elevated to a priority in environmental politics.
    So, the sound-byte from the report is that children who read do and children who don’t read don’t. Is that a fair summary?

Blog Entries
    I wonder to what extent this data is similar to previous studies on children's reading habits with regard to secondary sources, and with regards to media types. I remember seeing a similar report on video game playing and tv watching habits versus reading habits. If I recall, the results were quite similar, but a quick google search didn't turn up what I was looking for...

Is it legitimate to opine that a child who can read and follow World of Warcraft is literate?

Blog Entries
    Well, all the basic hallmarks of literacy are there. Plus a few extras, like decision making.

The report I was thinking of was specifically concerned with movie and video game adaptations of novels, and novelizations of such -- similarly seeing how kids felt about them compared to reading, and likewise finding that kids who read a book will also be attracted to the game versions, author information, related magazines, yadda yadda.

Could anyone play World of Warcraft without being literate?

Quote Originally Posted by Fung Koo View Post
    Well, all the basic hallmarks of literacy are there. Plus a few extras, like decision making.

The report I was thinking of was specifically concerned with movie and video game adaptations of novels, and novelizations of such -- similarly seeing how kids felt about them compared to reading, and likewise finding that kids who read a book will also be attracted to the game versions, author information, related magazines, yadda yadda.

Could anyone play World of Warcraft without being literate?
    Yes indeed. I couldn't speculate the %'s but there are plenty of younger people (13-17) that can't type to save their. I've also seen player demographic research showing good portions of players who have no interest in reading/fantasy elements outside of WoW. I have done work for Blizzard, this is not speculation.

Games like Counter Strike and a few other action oriented games probably have very little literary players as well.

On the opposite end you have MUD's and various adventure games that probably have very high percentages of super-literate player bases.

..that can't type to save their.
    Are you suggesting that typing skill is a measure of literacy? This seems to be an argument of the form:
    All typists are literate. *
    Not all WoW players are typists.
    ergo Not all WoW players are literate.
    Before I am willing to accept the statement that all typists are literate and all non-typists are not, I'm going to have to pass a typing test.

* Literate =
    1. Able to read and write
    2. Versed in literature; dealing with literature
    3. Knowledgeable and educated in one or several fields, e.g., computer literate.

Here's some more data from the Olde Countrie:
    http://www.nfer.ac.uk/publications/p...adable/RAQ.pdf
    Last edited by Hereford Eye; June 17th, 2008 at 10:19 AM.

Blog Entries
    Considering the vast majority of Bibles "written" before the invention of the printing press were reproduced by illiterate scribes, I'd say that typing skill has zero to do with literacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hereford Eye View Post
    Are you suggesting that typing skill is a measure of literacy? This seems to be an argument of the form:
    All typists are literate. *
    Not all WoW players are typists.
    ergo Not all WoW players are literate.
    Before I am willing to accept the statement that all typists are literate and all non-typists are not, I'm going to have to pass a typing test.

* Literate =
    1. Able to read and write
    2. Versed in literature; dealing with literature
    3. Knowledgeable and educated in one or several fields, e.g., computer literate.

Here's some more data from the Olde Countrie:
    http://www.nfer.ac.uk/publications/p...adable/RAQ.pdf
    Considering the vast majority of Bibles "written" before the invention of the printing press were reproduced by illiterate scribes, I'd say that typing skill has zero to do with literacy.
    I agree with both of you. The example was more correlation than causality.

That was my "personal experience" to go along with my actual data. After witnessing many conversations in that game I was be sure a sizable portion does not read books on a regular basis. Having later done work for their company I was assured.

Blog Entries
    Wut? U got 2 b kiding! Noe ways! 4 reel?

Something to keep in mind -- people (kids especially, but adults too) often adopt certain communication styles in the right sort of circumstances. (Believe it or not, this here overly verbose and wordy fella used to employ l33+ $p34k in Quake deathmatches far more than might be considered healthy )

So, communication style trends/fads need to be kept in mind. I'm not sure that poor communication style is necessarily a sign of a low level of literacy.

Personally, I feel that the fear that books will be replaced by other forms of media is just a bit silly. Books occupy a sensory niche that can't really be readily matched by anything else. I don't consider an eReader/Kindle as altogether different from a book (in terms of filling the sensory niche), but I suspect that general aggravation with the normal failure of such technologies will prove to keep physical books around much longer than we might expect. Plus the natural page-flipping gauge using the thickness of a book when you're trying to find something, or backtrack a certain amount... Cover art... The status symbol that is a well-stacked bookshelf.

But as far as multimedia/hypermedia approaches go, I think technology will continue to develop toward working in harmony with books, not against them.

I was involved in setting up a Hypermedia Studies minor program at Acadia University a couple years ago, and that was part of the entire basis of the program. Hypermedia as intertextuality to the Nth degree. Interesting stuff.

Wut? U got 2 b kiding! Noe ways! 4 reel?

Something to keep in mind -- people (kids especially, but adults too) often adopt certain communication styles in the right sort of circumstances. (Believe it or not, this here overly verbose and wordy fella used to employ l33+ $p34k in Quake deathmatches far more than might be considered healthy )

So, communication style trends/fads need to be kept in mind. I'm not sure that poor communication style is necessarily a sign of a low level of literacy.

Personally, I feel that the fear that books will be replaced by other forms of media is just a bit silly. Books occupy a sensory niche that can't really be readily matched by anything else. I don't consider an eReader/Kindle as altogether different from a book (in terms of filling the sensory niche), but I suspect that general aggravation with the normal failure of such technologies will prove to keep physical books around much longer than we might expect. Plus the natural page-flipping gauge using the thickness of a book when you're trying to find something, or backtrack a certain amount... Cover art... The status symbol that is a well-stacked bookshelf.

But as far as multimedia/hypermedia approaches go, I think technology will continue to develop toward working in harmony with books, not against them.

I was involved in setting up a Hypermedia Studies minor program at Acadia University a couple years ago, and that was part of the entire basis of the program. Hypermedia as intertextuality to the Nth degree. Interesting stuff.
    EWWW Wolfville? And yes I would agree for the most part. I also Quaked quite hard among other games and have used my share of made up words.

I would think that given a decent sample size, poor communication skills would point pretty heavily toward low level literacy. That's some pure speculation right there.

Blog Entries
    Pwned! h4XXord!!!

....If we can correlate communication and literacy as necessarily connected, then maybe you sample is representative.

Good ol' Wolfvegas... I really miss home. I keep meaning to take a road trip back to NS, but life keeps getting in the way. That, and a total lack of funds to pay for the dang fuel.

Fuel prices make me lolerskate. But I bought a hybrid to help so I can't complain too much.

I wonder if there have been projects geared towards using games to encourage reading in children. I don't mean like Spelling Rabbit goes to London or some such but YA instances.

GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    Sorry for being absent recently. Writing, running around. In fact, I'm on my way to Italy in 20 minutes. But I wanted to check in first.

What about texting? It's a new language all together. I text constantly now and the iphone changes the words to what it thinks are right. They're not always. In fact, my texting is downright silly sometimes!

Anyway, gotta run. More later.

More data, folks:
    http://www.renlearn.com/whatkidsarer...T2008050402168

Imagine - in these modern times - seeing Jack London on a most read list.