Thread: Gene Wolfe

Hybrid View

Gene Wolfe

I tried to search to find a thread on him but didn't see one, which surprised me.

What do you guys think of him? I'm currently reading through the Book of the New Sun... almost done with Sword of the Lictor. He's an incredible writer. The way he uses words is amazing, but exhausting.

Quote Originally Posted by randar23rhenn View Post
    I tried to search to find a thread on him but didn't see one, which surprised me.

What do you guys think of him? I'm currently reading through the Book of the New Sun... almost done with Sword of the Lictor. He's an incredible writer. The way he uses words is amazing, but exhausting.
    I'm in the middle of rereading this myself. He has a wonderful imagination, and although an exhausting read, I think you're rewarded for your hard effort. Certainly this series is one of the more literary SF novels out there, and it's an important work. It's something that needs reading again and again to fully peel away at the content. If it's tough reading it, imagine what it was like creating it!

why the heck didnt those show up when i typed Gene Wolfe into the search box

oh well

I'm about to start Citadel of the Autarch

The Book of the New Sun and The Fifth Head of Cerberus are two of my very favourite books. You can read me raving about them in the appropriate book club threads I've yet to read another SFF writer quite as talented in literary terms as Wolfe, though LeGuin and Walter M Miller (his one complete novel) come fairly close.