Trying to identify a novel

Hello,

I'm looking for a science fiction book that I checked out of my university library several years ago. I don't remember enough to get a good search on it, so I'm hoping someone here can help. The details that I remember are as follows:

1. Team of scientists taking a trip to Jupiter (I believe, maybe a moon of Jupiter or Saturn) to lay the groundwork for some sort of fuel processing operation. One of the team members was a girl who had an obsession with her fingernails. She lost a hand somewhere during the story.

2. The group ends up hitting rough spots when they find all sorts of life in the gas surrounding the planet. The ship is damaged and they have to keep it in the atmosphere with a balloon system of some sort.

3. It gets more complicated when they encounter a group of giant (city sized) sentient flying creatures with whom they are required to interact for survival. The creatures fly in groups, the team and the creatures develop a sort of symbiotic relationship.

4. The whole thing culminates with a firestorm rising from the planet's surface which the team and the creatures only barely escape. They form an agreement between the two species to set up their fuel processing operation near one of the poles.

Does any of that sound at all familiar to anyone? I think about this periodically, and it's driving me crazy that I can't remember who wrote it, or what the title was. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like Kevin J Anderson's Saga of Seven Suns series starting with Hidden Empire. to me...

Mark / Hobbit
    Mark

Thanks for the reply. I don't think that is it as this novel definitely took place within the Sol system. I don't believe human civilization had achieved more than basic interplanetary travel. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Dave

Blog Entries

Space Manta and Balloons

The book is "Saturn Rukh" by Robert L. Forward. I remembered the cover and the just of the story taking place on Saturn. Amazon.com has the book.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well done, Gkar: Link to book & details HERE.

Mark / Hobbit
    Mark

That's definitely the one! Thanks a bunch, I already feel better. :]

Dave