help me find a book

Hello all,
    I need help finding a really good fantasy series, I'm just coming off of "a song of ice and fire" series, which I absolutely could not put down and now I'm struggling through "the darkness that comes before". I know a lot of you will hate me for saying this, but "the darkness" is like eating crackers with no water, I am having an extremely hard time getting into this book. I am a die hard fantasy reader (not as much into scifi) but I need something that is just as good as George RR Martin. Any suggestions?

Check out The Recommendation Thread, matey.

Well, a lot of people suggest Greg Keyes' Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone series when comparing to Martin. I have not read myself, but it supposedly contains multiple viewpoints, a more realistic setting, and deals with politics and the like, akin to ASoIaF. It's quiet highly regarded, but some describe it as Martin-lite. Also Joe Abercrombie (The First Law series) seems to come up when comparisons are made.

Yeah, the The Recommendation Thread is a great resource to use
    Last edited by Messiahknot; February 17th, 2008 at 07:50 PM.

Thank you all, i'll try those, how about the robin hobb books, I had someone raving about those

Thats a pretty good place to start, but it's a big commitment. Trilogy upon trilogy (Farseer/Tawny Man/Liveship Traders). If I were you I'd suggest looking at Amazon and searching all the book titles you might consider, then read a sample excerpt from the book (if one is provided on the page) and go with the one you like the best. If your still not convinced and want more opinions, come back here and do a search for the book to see what the members views were.
    Last edited by Messiahknot; February 17th, 2008 at 08:06 PM.

i don't know,
    the Robin Hobb trilogies can stand on their own. I for one highly reconmend them especialy the first two farseer trilogy and live ship traders trilogy. Both brilliant reads in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by morgana47 View Post
    Hello all,
    I need help finding a really good fantasy series, I'm just coming off of "a song of ice and fire" series, which I absolutely could not put down and now I'm struggling through "the darkness that comes before". I know a lot of you will hate me for saying this, but "the darkness" is like eating crackers with no water, I am having an extremely hard time getting into this book. I am a die hard fantasy reader (not as much into scifi) but I need something that is just as good as George RR Martin. Any suggestions?
    id say the malazan series but you might have a similar hard time getting in to that.

i hear terry goodkind spins a mean tale also....

Typing as I speak
    i hear terry goodkind spins a mean tale also....
    You're a baaad influence.