A book about a Telepath

Help! I have tried many times to find this book with no success.

Ultimately what I remember about the book is that it is about a hardened P.I or business man or some sort that has telepathy and has used it to gain power and woman all of his life. For some reason I can't remember much else other than the government or some other business was after him, and it had something to do with a spaceship.

I know covers change, but on ONE of the paperback covers, the man is standing on a hill with somebody else overlooking a bay by a city and in the bay there is a HUGE spaceship (as in city size or something) either crashing into the water or being rasied out backwards. Hard to tell.

I know it is an older book, perhaps 70's or 80's at the latest, and I could have sworn it was by either Keith Laumer or Clifford D. Simak (but looking up their bibliographies doesn't find me the book).

Any ideas or prodding of my memory is greatly appreciated! I might not remember much of the book, but I do remember I loved it immensely.

The Demolished Man, maybe? Depends on how confused your memories are :-)

It has an evil business man and a cop chasing him: Cop is telepathic, but business man is smarter. Space travel exists i think, but is very minor in the story.

And it's pretty old - 1950s.

Quote Originally Posted by Yobmod View Post
    The Demolished Man, maybe? Depends on how confused your memories are :-)

It has an evil business man and a cop chasing him: Cop is telepathic, but business man is smarter. Space travel exists i think, but is very minor in the story.

And it's pretty old - 1950s.
    Unfortunately that isn't it. I do have that book and love it (I also Love Bester's other well known book, The Stars My Destination).

Could it have been Slan?

Quote Originally Posted by acton bell View Post
    Could it have been Slan?
    No, the main character is telepathic but human in every other way.

Question

Two books come to mind - Michaelmas by Algis Budrys, or Bug Jack Baron by Norman Spinrad, though I have not read either myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ropie View Post
    Two books come to mind - Michaelmas by Algis Budrys, or Bug Jack Baron by Norman Spinrad, though I have not read either myself.
    Bug Jack Baron comes the closest and sounds very interesting (I'll read it at any rate), but unfortunately it isn't it. The main character is the telepath (though I am not certain he is a business man. perhaps a lawyer or something, I can't entirely remember except that he used his ability to get women and further his career).

I used to own the book, but that was more than 10 years ago and I can't remember too much more about it. Sorry I can't offer much more, but I do greatly appreciate the suggestions so far.

I'm at the point I would even offer a reward of some sort, lol. I've scoured the net over the last couple years (off and on of course, not regularly), but have not found anything. Sigh.

Telempath by Spider Robinson perhaps???

ND