Thread: Post defaults

Post defaults

Is there any way to change the defaults used for post entries? In particular, I would prefer Times New Roman to whichever sans serif font is presently used. I know I can set the font manually on a post-by-post basis, but I never remember to do so (except here, of course).

I know it is claimed that "studies show" sans serif to be more screen-readable, but I simply disagree. Is there somewhere in the CP that I am missing where global preferences can be changed?

Uh, Moderator
    That font hurts my eyes. Maybe if it was bigger...

Browser settings . . .

The size of text is determined in part by the source, the web page you are reading, but also by the settings of your browser. Far too many people never bother to look into and tinker with the great variety of settings that their browsers allow to be set or changed, and default font size is an important one.

I only recently had my optometrist change the prescription for my video glasses (which, for most spectacles wearers, are somewhere between "distance" and "reading" prescription levels) to something notably stronger, but I still find an awful lot of web pages whose makers seem to think we are using Sherlock Holmes style magnifying glasses to view their work.

For Firefox, one clicks on--
    Tools --> Options... --> Content
    --then sets the "Size" roller datum. I use 20. One can also click on "Advanced" and decide whether to allow pages to set their own choices (one's own choice, in my case 20, is used only if the page does not expressly set a font size, unless I choose to not allow pages to set their size; I prefer to let them, then fix it as needed).

Again for Firefox, highly useful is any "Add-On" (such as PrefBar) that allows simple click-on changes to font size.

Also, postings often allow choices of font size, as this board does:
    • Seven
    • Six
    • Five
    • Four
    • Three
    • Two
    • One

All I can say is that on my screen, at the size I read this board, a serif font like Times New Roman looks worlds nicer and easier to read than
    the default sans serif.

Uh, Moderator
    Yeah, but if I change the sized to read your posts then everything else goes out of whack
    Sorry, I was being cheeky with that first post and didn't expect such a big response.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventine View Post
    Yeah, but if I change the sized to read your posts then everything else goes out of whack
    Sorry, I was being cheeky with that first post and didn't expect such a big response.
    Not an issue.

But I am perplexed: on my screen, the post with mixed fonts shows both at about the same size. I would thus guess that you have good eyes (and so are likely not yet contemplating your social-security checks) and accordingly have the font size rather small. Perhaps when it is quite small, serif is harder to read than sans serif; I emphatically do not find it so, even at the smallest sizes, but I suppose that can vary from person to person.