Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Inheritence Cycle

Is anybody into the Inheritence Cycle books?

Nah we like good books. Not drivel.

And we all liked star wars/lotr/Dragonriders of pern...etc. first time round

I havnt heard of them, whats the author, synopsis etc

[QUOTE=ajw2255;474833]I havnt heard of them, whats the author, synopsis etc[/QUOTE

Take the synopsis of Star wars and replace certain words with Dragons and you've got The inheritance cycle. Also many of the names are names from LOTR, which have had a letter taken away or moved around.

The Author Christopher Paolini, is 23 year old kid who first published it when he was 16 on his mother and fathers Publishing press. He thinks he's good as tolkien and every plot hole and question on his contridictions he answers read book 3.

They're not very good books and only liked by those who are not well read in fantasy and cant see its blantent copying of other ideas.

And like i said the synopsis is undistinguisable from Star Wars if you take out the word Dragon.

The Main character is a mary sue who has every thing handed to him on a plate and they all think he is awesome. there is some dues ex macxhina. And a King who rules an empire.

That sounds about right.

Ok, I don't want to be argumentative with my first post here, but cut the kid some slack. I cant stand how everyone is always complaining that every fantasy story ever written is copying someone else's work. I'm sure lotr is copying from the epic of gilgamesh and star wars is from the bible, or maybe the iliad.

So the kids got a mentor? Yea, what a terrible start to a fantasy novel. Eragon is like Aragorn? Its also one letter from dragon, d to e, the first dragon rider. Lets cut the kid some slack.

Now that said, the story, while original enough, does kinda suck. And the writing is medicore. But for a 16 year old kid it kicks ass, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he produces in the future. My opinion anyway.

I agree, Soul. And I'm ashamed to say that when I want something totally shallow - and only then - I do read Inheritance.

The guy has money though. It's because people love reading the same stuff. They want more of it. They know LOTR so they look around for something similar... Oh, look! the Inheritence Cycle! It has elves and drawfs... and dragons, too!
    Soul, I agree that it is impossible not to copy a previous idea, but Paolini did it so blatantly that it hurts.
    Maybe he knew that people would buy the book because he took ideas from good stories and put them all together. Maybe he just wanted to make money.
    Also, if so many people 'loooooooooooove' his story, you have to respect that. It sells, so there's demand.

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    I read the first book, and it was ...difficult to remember. I was impressed that a 16y/o wrote it, but I had and have no interest in reading any of the other books. My question about Paolini is this: when you have such huge success in a solitary endeavor like writing at such a young age - and let's face it, a big part of his success had to do with the whole I-can't-believe-he's-only-16 schtick - does it stunt your future growth? He isn't Mozart or a muscial/math savant, and I will be curious to see where he goes with his writing after he gets he completes Inheritence. Will he go for broke and try to do something different, maybe a different genre, or will he just churn out more adolescent fantasies?

If paolini went the proper route. I.e to Orbit or Tor. And not published it on his mommy and daddys printing press Eragon would not exist as it does today. It would have in all likleyhood been rejected.

And Sorry soul. But its not original enough. Its a blatent copy of other works. And is only considered original enough by those not well read in fantasy.

The fact that the synopsis is exactly the same as Star wars but with Dragons instead of droids should be a hint.

Its not original. Never has been original and never will be.
    Last edited by Anthorn; July 5th, 2008 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthorn View Post
    If paolini went the proper route. I.e to Orbit or Tor. And not published it on his mommy and daddys printing press Eragon would not exist as it does today. It would have in all likleyhood been rejected.

And Sorry soul. But its not original enough. Its a blatent copy of other works. And is only considered original enough by those not well read in fantasy.

The fact that the synopsis is exactly the same as Star wars but with Dragons instead of droids should be a hint.

Its not original. Never has been original and never will be.
    The proper route? There are many good works that have been rejected by publishers. I can tell you that if nobody accepted my MS and I would have parents with a publishing firm I would go that way, too. The proper route differs from person to person.

I understand that.

But he went to parents first. And they published it no questions

I am actually not quite sure if his parents owned a publishing firm prior to his achievement, or if they simply 'made' one after they had decided to self-publish his work, but I'm too lazy to check that out.

The author started the book at 16 and finished at 18, I believe. Oh, and the books are horrid.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamin View Post
    I am actually not quite sure if his parents owned a publishing firm prior to his achievement, or if they simply 'made' one after they had decided to self-publish his work, but I'm too lazy to check that out.
    His parents jobs were publishers before hand, which is why he was actually published.