Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 76
  1. #46
    The Writer of Fantasy Fred Gallney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Nowhere and Everywhere
    Posts
    302
    You know, Self-Publishing isnt all that bad for a first-time author to get their work out in the world. Also, one significant advantage is that you retain all rights over the book's entire layout, page size, font, cover art, blurb, ect.

    In addition, with each book you sell, you don't just receive 10% of the revenue or so, like you would receive if you were with Tor, Random House, Orbit, ect. Instead, you would get basically the entire sum of money that you generate from selling your books. Sure, you have to promote it yourself, but if you have a good advertising resume, you could really get yourself a head start.

    I think this is basically what the Paolini's wanted.

  2. #47
    Uh, Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    3,594
    Apart from the stigma associated with self publishing, the lack of quality control, etc. For every Paolini there's a thousand Robert Staneks...

  3. #48
    aka Radone Davis Ashura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The island of Arylyn
    Posts
    1,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Eventine View Post
    Apart from the stigma associated with self publishing, the lack of quality control, etc. For every Paolini there's a thousand Robert Staneks...
    The quality of their writing differs in what way?

  4. #49
    Uh, Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    3,594
    I was talking to success of marketing rather than quality

  5. #50
    Registered User Stenny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    304
    I just thought i'd add in here.

    I really enjoyed the books and i never really thought of it as not beng original, but after reading through this i do now see some similarites.

    However i still thoroughly enjoy the books and i am eagerly awaiting the next installment.

    I would also add that the film of eragon was quite awful and should not be compared to the books, it was a massive letdown as it strayed from the original storyline of the book! But, hey, i still love jeremy irons (i always pictured him as brom!)

  6. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Stenny View Post
    I just thought i'd add in here.

    I really enjoyed the books and i never really thought of it as not beng original, but after reading through this i do now see some similarites.

    However i still thoroughly enjoy the books and i am eagerly awaiting the next installment.

    I would also add that the film of eragon was quite awful and should not be compared to the books, it was a massive letdown as it strayed from the original storyline of the book! But, hey, i still love jeremy irons (i always pictured him as brom!)
    When comparing the film and the book, I find both are pretty accurate.

  7. #52
    Daughter of the Pilani Sirkana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lost in the wanderings of my mind...
    Posts
    4,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Mara-Marie View Post
    Yes it was written as a young adults book.



    Just call me loser #2 because I agree with you Mage-.
    As do I - Loser #3 coming up. Paolini's books are rip offs, but I will read the others.

  8. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirkana View Post
    As do I - Loser #3 coming up. Paolini's books are rip offs, but I will read the others.

    I guess I will be Loser #4....I enjoyed them as well and look forward to reading the third.

  9. #54
    my 6th grade teacher tried to get me into it after seeing me reading robert jordan, but i never got into it. i'd already read some of the before mentioned works and wasn't crazy about the similarities.

    the real question i have is why does amazon group this book and a dance with dragons for preorders????

  10. #55
    Has it been mentioned on this board that the series will now be 4 books..not 3?

    'Fat Fantasy', indeed.

    FourthBook
    Last edited by kingston; July 24th, 2008 at 03:26 PM.

  11. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by kingston View Post
    Has it been mentioned on this board that the series will now be 4 books..not 3?

    'Fat Fantasy', indeed.

    FourthBook

    That is what I have hear.....has he came up with a name for it yet?

  12. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Xetox View Post
    That is what I have hear.....has he came up with a name for it yet?

    Don't know for sure, but 'Ka-Ching' would probably fit well

    Gotta milk dat cow!!

  13. #58
    LOL, its sad I would say he had made enough from the frist two and will make even more on the third, he should have ended it and started something new.

    JMO

  14. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Xetox View Post
    LOL, its sad I would say he had made enough from the frist two and will make even more on the third, he should have ended it and started something new.

    JMO
    The trend seems to be: early success---good reviews--more & more bloated followups. The Robert Jordan Legacy.


    BTW Xetox....Is that a 'Madball' that you are using as your image?



    I bought a bunch of those in the 80's when my son was growing up. It was a fun decade to be a kid...or be a Dad. Laser Tag...Transformers...Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles....early Nintendo. Ah, memories.

  15. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by kingston View Post
    The trend seems to be: early success---good reviews--more & more bloated followups. The Robert Jordan Legacy.


    BTW Xetox....Is that a 'Madball' that you are using as your image?



    I bought a bunch of those in the 80's when my son was growing up. It was a fun decade to be a kid...or be a Dad. Laser Tag...Transformers...Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles....early Nintendo. Ah, memories.
    No but I do remember Madballs...I think I had a couple myself Its just a image that I have edited to make mine. Its what I use on most of my accounts...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •