Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    So brisingr is now out, so i thought this thread should be brought back to life - so to speak! Even if so many users don't like the series!

Haven't read it yet, but have had a quick flick through, and I think it looks raher good! Although I think it would be better if it was the last one! i'm not really looking forward to going out and buying the next one, especially if it's the same price -16.99 (mind you, waterstones had an offer on so I got it for half price!). But I will be well into my 20s when the next one is out, and I don't very much like going to the children/YA's section any more.

But, I must admit, apart from the stupid title, it does look set to be a brilliant read!

Has Paolini become a better writer?

His case is a good example of the power of marketing. I haven't read any of his books but I might someday. The bad reviews are what stops me from picking it up but then the hype picks up again.

I don't think you should not read something just because of bad reviews! If you think the books would appeal to you, you should read it! I never put much faith in reviews, the people who write them might be completely different to you, they may hate it, you may love it!

And I don't think he has ever been a bad writer.

Wink

Finished reading it last night. I am finding it hard to put my thoughts into words, other than to say it was bloated. If he had cut all of the fluff out that really had nothing to do with moving the plot forward, he probably could have finished the story in the remaining pages.

I think it's obvious that Paolini is milking this cash-cow dry. (Someone else referred to it as Jordan or Martin syndrome). As for his writing style, I really didn't see much improvement. I am a teacher. I read lots of high school kid's works. This reads very similar. The prose is either too stunted or grotesquely verbose (not enough or too much put into it.)

I also think he has made amendments to his original storyline, possibly based on well-hashed negative reader reaction. In other words, he has heard the complaints of how close this story follows the "Star Wars" saga, and has made changes, possibly not within his original plot.

Also, his characters are so damn dependent on magic, it defies credulity. (I know its fantasy, but hey, let's try to make it somewhat believeable and realistic.) The magic is overused to the point...well, when (if) you read it, you'll know what I mean.

But, hey, it's fantasy and an escape from the real world for a time. I guess I enjoyed it, but, unlike my Hobb books, I'll probably not be picking them up again anytime soon to reread (if ever.)

2.5/5 stars

I want to be a princess sic's mom's Avatar
    Okay, so I bought this the other day all excited about reading what happens to Eragon, Saphira and the gang. Normally I would have had this one done by now, but for some reason I read a page or two, put the book down and have no desire to pick it back up. I will say that Paolini's writing seems to be getting better. But the story is just dragging. He sort of hooked you from the first in the two previous books, but this one, I don't know. Part of me feels like he is just dragging all of this out so he can put another book in the series. There doesn't seem to be anything happening in this one right now, and I don't know if there will be towards the end of the book. I'll probably end up putting it down and let my daughter read it. She'll tell me if she enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Starson View Post
    Finished reading it last night. I am finding it hard to put my thoughts into words, other than to say it was bloated. If he had cut all of the fluff out that really had nothing to do with moving the plot forward, he probably could have finished the story in the remaining pages.

I think it's obvious that Paolini is milking this cash-cow dry. (Someone else referred to it as Jordan or Martin syndrome). As for his writing style, I really didn't see much improvement. I am a teacher. I read lots of high school kid's works. This reads very similar. The prose is either too stunted or grotesquely verbose (not enough or too much put into it.)

I also think he has made amendments to his original storyline, possibly based on well-hashed negative reader reaction. In other words, he has heard the complaints of how close this story follows the "Star Wars" saga, and has made changes, possibly not within his original plot.

Also, his characters are so damn dependent on magic, it defies credulity. (I know its fantasy, but hey, let's try to make it somewhat believeable and realistic.) The magic is overused to the point...well, when (if) you read it, you'll know what I mean.

But, hey, it's fantasy and an escape from the real world for a time. I guess I enjoyed it, but, unlike my Hobb books, I'll probably not be picking them up again anytime soon to reread (if ever.)

2.5/5 stars
    Yes, yes, and.... yes. This is how I felt.

I still enjoyed it, despite everything.

So I just finished Brisingr. Omg, what a waste of trees!!! It was incredibly pointless. And I hate how everyone is defending how Roran killed 193 soldiers by saying it's fantasy!!

Quote Originally Posted by WritersBlock View Post
    So I just finished Brisingr. Omg, what a waste of trees!!! It was incredibly pointless. And I hate how everyone is defending how Roran killed 193 soldiers by saying it's fantasy!!
    Well...it is fantasy? Yes, improbable, but once again...FANTASY. Is anything really 'probable' in fantasy novels? Honestly... I thoroughly enjoyed Brisingr and felt that all the criticism of this book is all because of biases from book two. All the 'fluff' Paolini stuffed into Eldest was, in my opinion, basically removed from Brisingr. Perhaps I am just not noticing the 'fluff' because I like to be immersed in the world of Algaesia (or other magical realms).

A question I would like to ask: Why is it such a bad thing for fantasy novels to make things very heroic and incredible? I like to read books where the main characters actually succeed at something.

EDIT:

By the way Stenny, the title has a point once you read the book. I thought that the title was cliché and 'eh' but it actually turned out to make sense.
    Last edited by Maela; November 4th, 2008 at 09:05 PM. Reason: I thought of something else.

For those interested, last book titled Inheritance has a date:
    http://booktionary.blogspot.com/2011...lini-last.html

November 8, 2011

thought this should be brought back since the new book is out(has been for awhile) and i was wondering what people thought.Me,i think i'm going to get it just to see how it ends.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakai View Post
    thought this should be brought back since the new book is out(has been for awhile) and i was wondering what people thought.Me,i think i'm going to get it just to see how it ends.
    I did get this and read it. It was, in the context of this series, good. In terms of the fantasy fiction I've read throughout this life, it's good much like Eddings was once good, or DragonLance was once good. A series that is probably better for teens, or the 1980s (I do not mean for that to be as dismissive or judgmental as it sounds - just take it at face value).

seriously guys and gals, you cant categorically say "these books are awful" its a matter of opinion. is any book with a wizard in it or a quest, copying Tolkien? No but similarities will be jumped upon. personally I liked the books, although not the greatest in the world by far I found them enjoyable. My only advice would be, read them and form your own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ochos View Post
    seriously guys and gals, you cant categorically say "these books are awful" its a matter of opinion.
    I think when someone posts "these books are awful" it is understood that it is that person's opinion. The statement (it's awful), in and of itself, doesn't offer much if that's all that's said, but if they offer reasons for why they formed that opinion, then it becomes a dialogue.
    People have listed why they think Paolini's books aren't very good. I thought the first book showed promise given his age when he wrote it. I would have not been as charitable if it had been written by someone with some age to them.

Paolini used to be one of my favourite authors ever. That was a couple of years ago, when I was twelve. It was before I had read Tolkein, or any writer that would traditionally be considered good. I think that is what proves Paolini's worth: He can tell a tale that is interesting, if not particularly well written nor original.

A few years down the track when Brisingr came out, I was really excited to finish the series because I remembered how much I enjoyed the first books. I couldn't even bring myself to read past the fourth chapter, it was so bad. It's fine if you don't know what 'derivative' means, and haven't been exposed to other good fantasy writers, but as soon as you have something to compare him to, it's nothing.

But fair play to the lad, I know he had a helping hand from his parents, but he started them at 16 and has completed a few novels which is something that nobody can take away from him. Does nothing for me personally though.

I really enjoyed the first book. The second was good, but not as good as the first. The third just seemed like complete filler. The fourth was just awful and painful to get through.

Just my opinion.