Quagaar Warrior

love fantasy, can't find anything to read!

hello all, i come in hopes of benefiting from your collective wisdom and experience. i don't know how to do this but to say what i liked and didn't so if you're into it, "thanks", and if not no worries:

so here's the deal: i love a good fantasy read but i tend to be _extremely_ picky.

for instance, Lieber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser is probably my all-time fav.

much of Moorcock's Elric stuff was brilliant -- if a bit confused -- but i never could get into his other stuff.

loved a goodly lot of the old Robert E Howard stuff -- Conan, Bran, etc.

Rohan's Winter of the World series had some great writing -- especially while they're out adventuring -- and superb concepts but the prose was a bit wooden through books 2 and 3.

i liked Glen Cook's Black Company stuff until it pretty much repeated itself over and over.

i liked Game of Thrones and Clash of Kings but i don't want to be reading the same thing for the rest of my natural life, so i bailed.

Assassin's Apprentice was pretty good, but a bit twee for my tastes.

Wolfe's Knight was quite respectable, but Wizard bored me and i bailed by page 50.

Jordan's stuff just seems a Tolkein rehash to me. i loved LOTR but if i want LOTR i'll go back and read it again.

if i read another book about a young whippersnapper born with the Golden Plunger up their arse and gifted with infinite Plunging abilities by a secret but noble lineage etc etc, i think i'll puke.

dragons are pretty passť imho. not big on most representations of dwarves, gnomes, the little people, etc.

anything with fairies, unicorns, wise but long-suffering elves, etc needs to be set alight unless there's something pretty flinty at the core of it.

i generally loath cross-over stories though Thomas Covenant was worth the ride.

steam-punk, etc generally makes me gag.

i guess i'd say i generally like harder, darker Swords & Sorcery stuff.

any recommendations? and thanks for reading all that.

since you seem to like a few of the more classic authors (howard, leiber), you could try eddisons 'the worm ouroboros', it might be something for you

also, i think david gemmel would fit your interests. start with drenai books (the first one is 'legend', then try the first waylander book (also part of the drenai series)

may be joe abercormbie's 'first law' trilogy' would also fit the bill.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber is a recommendation for something that you might enjoy, although there is a bit of the crossover effect (i.e. the world of Shadows). You may also find Erikson's A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen interesting. It has a fairly flinty core to it and somewhat comparable to Glen Cook's Black Company. Gemmell is an excellent recommendation also. Another you might find interesting, if not uniquely humorous (thanks to the author) is Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos novels.

try Erikson, he sounds right up your alley. My fav by him was House of Chains although I'm sure there are better ones (haven't read all the Malazan books yet)

You might want to try Jeffery Overstreet, he's pretty talented and it's a different direction than the Elves and Dwarves thing.

Quagaar Warrior
    many thanks for the recommends guys, much appreciated:

- Zelazny, Gemmell and Brust: read some of but not those cited, will look them up.
    (actually now that I see the Brust titles -- Jhereg, Yendi, Tatlos, etc -- i do remember reading and enjoying them back in the day. i wonder how well they've aged.)

- Worm Ouroboros (1922!) sounds promising indeed. an inspired suggestion!

- Erikson: saw the first of the Malazan books, thought it would be perfect: i tanked on it. the writing reminded me of Heinlein's juveniles, but judging from the reviews it sounds like that's maybe just me being a poop.

- Overstreet and Abercrombie are new names to me (rubbing of hands), must investigate.

so again, thanks all.

later: more info on books cited above:
    - the Overstreet books are The Auralia Thread Series, thus far including Auralia's Colors and Cyndere's Midnight.
    - the Joe Abercrombie books in the First Law series are The Blade Itself (2006), Before They Are Hanged (2007) and Last Argument Of Kings (2008).
    Last edited by barfly; December 31st, 2008 at 08:30 AM.

You might enjoy the Prince of Nothing trilogy by Scott Bakker, as it avoids everything that you seem to dislike. It's harder and dark, although not really in the S&S mould. Some very good reading there.

Also check out The Last Wish, by Andrzej Sapkowski. I haven't read it yet, but it could be what you're looking for.

I guess you haven't been looking in bookstores like Barnes & Noble or Amazon, because they both have a lot of fantasy books you can read.

Welcome to the forums and I hope you find something good to read. I'd suggest clicking around a bit because you will likely have a laundry list worth of books you want to read.

We have plenty of threads recommending books, like the threads below each of which is fairly current and represents the various "flavors" of fantasy.

If you like ^^^^^ then you might like #####
    The New and Improved Recommendation - Fantasy / Horror
    (stickied at the top of the forum)
    Just started in Epic Fantasy - What to read?
    Book Suggestions: Assassins/Thieves
    Supernatural Fantasy: Ghosts, Vampires, Werefolk and Wizards
    Gimme some good adventure books! (Similar to Three Musketeers,Locke Lamora or Sharpe)
    Just finished Hobbs Assassin series....
    Some interesting new 2008 releases
    Looking for specific recommendations

There's always the ever-underutlized Search function.

I would definitely recommend Erikson as well. I'm mostly done with Gardens of the Moon and I can't put it down any more (but I have to). At first, it was incredibly confusing, but it gets better and better.

It was 'twee for your taste?' What does that mean?

Quagaar Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by hippokrene View Post
    It was 'twee for your taste?' What does that mean?
    urbandictionary.com: "twee ... something that is sweet, almost to the point of being sickeningly so. As a derogatory descriptive, it means something that is affectedly dainty or quaint, or is way too sentimental."

@Rob B: thanks for the links, finding some good stuff there. fwiw, i'm in the EU so no Barnes & Noble hereabouts. freebie browsing is a little trickier over here. have done it, but no joy.
    Last edited by barfly; December 31st, 2008 at 05:30 PM.

Have you not read A Game of Thrones?

Quagaar Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by ThornofCamorr View Post
    Have you not read A Game of Thrones?
    yup, mentioned it in the original post. i found it VERY good in the first book or two, but seems to me GRRM is spinning it out endlessly ... just because he can.

i mean, where is the thing going to end? 6,000 pages? 10,000? is the story really tight enough and dense enough to justify that, or is it just television on paper where (increasingly arbitrary) things go on and on and on until someone puts the series out of it's misery?

i'm not saying that ASOIF has fallen that far down the bog, but i've read as far as Feast and i do think the series is well passed the point where narrative purpose guides the prose. and that ain't a good thing, imho.

MUCH later: don't want to bump this old thread but did want to say that the Abercrombie 'First Law' series turned out to be a real find for me, bloody loved it! his 'Best Served Cold' was pretty decent too, though i did miss The Bloody Nine something fierce.
    Last edited by barfly; April 25th, 2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: wanted to update, didn't want to bump

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Try Matthew Woodring Stover's Caine Novels. First one is "Heroes Die".