Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dune

They made a movie based on this? Wow.

Well, I didn't know that. Either way, I should read the book first and then watch the film.

I'm about 150 pages into The White Plague and I am obsessed with it.

Well, it certainly attracts a wide variety of opinion! Much like a lot of other "classics", LOTR amongst them.
    This is why I dislike these simple evaluations of good/bad and like/dislike. People need to explain what it is that they like or dislike about a work. You need to find people who's tastes agree with yours rather than just say good vs bad. You're supposed to like THIS because everybody says it's good. YEAH RIGHT!

I finally forced my way LOTR. I just got tired of seeing it on the shelves every time I went to buy some SF. Watch the movies. Don't try to read it unless you really, really LOVED the movies.

Herbert's writing dragged me down into the sand.
    But Dune is GOOD. It's supposed to drag you into the sand and make you like it. LOL

psik

Quote Originally Posted by Bengoshi-San View Post

Well, I didn't know that. Either way, I should read the book first and then watch the film.

Yeah... about 25 years ago. Pretty bad movie that absolutely bombed at the box office despite some amazing visuals. If I remember right, Lynch actually decided to make Dune instead of Return of the Jedi which he was also in line to do. I think Ridley Scott was also attached somehow at somepoint and he took some of his concepts and applied them to Alien instead.

A movie (as Michigan mentioned). A mini-series, done by sci-fi channel that was pretty good, they also did a follow up mini-series that followed the second and third books. And if I remember right, there will be a new Dune movie in the next year or two.

Very nice!

I better finish off His Majesty's Dragon and The White Plague so I can start reading Dune.

I feel like such a newbie right now.

http://www.worldsgreatestcritic.com/dunelynched.html

Although I don't think the movie is as bad as he says, I read the book before I saw the movie. I can understand why someone who hadn't read the book could be totally lost.

I think part of the problem is that the book is too long for a movie. That is why it worked fine as a mini-series.

I read the book Star Wars before the movie came out. It was fewer than 100 pages. I think Dune was over 600.

psik

And what did you end up liking more? The Star Wars literature or the films?

I still have yet to read any Star Wars books, but have been a tremendous fan of Episodes 4-6. Episodes 1-3 were okay, with The Phantom Menace being the best of those 3.

No thanks to Hayden Christensen as most would know.

I actually liked the Dune movie directed by Lynch. The portrayal of the Baron Harkonnen by Kenneth McMillan was spot on. Costumes and set design were also amazing. Though acting by Sean Young and Kyle MacLachlan were pretty bad IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
    You need to find people who's tastes agree with yours rather than just say good vs bad.
    Then....

But Dune is GOOD.
    Now I am confused!

ND

Quote Originally Posted by bohbohb View Post
    A movie (as Michigan mentioned). A mini-series, done by sci-fi channel that was pretty good, they also did a follow up mini-series that followed the second and third books. And if I remember right, there will be a new Dune movie in the next year or two.
    I'll believe that when I see it. There is always talk about stuff like this but it usually leads to nothing.

And what did you end up liking more? The Star Wars literature or the films?
    I read Star Wars in '77 before the movie came out. I was telling people at my job it was going to be crap and then people that went to see it said it was great. So I went to see it expecting to hate it. I was kind of shocked.

In part it is a difference in medium. Like Marshall McLuhan said, "the medium is the message". Film communicates things that books cannot and the somewhat slapstick tone came through.

But this requires somewhat of a non-thinking state of mind with Star Wars. An entire planet was destroyed in that movie but the garbage disposal scene is more important. It's more extreme than the Three Stooges being funny by beating each other. It is enjoyable with the "right" frame of mind.

I've only tried one other Star Wars book. But I have tried 5 Star Trek books and managed to finish 2. So I don't try books from either series anymore.

psik

Hmm (scratching chin), interesting indeed.

I guess at the age of 24, I can't say I have read much.

I've read several of the Star Wars book and enjoyed several; including the ones by Timothy Zahn and Michael A. Stackpole's Rogue Squadron (when Aaron Allston took over it went to crap though). The only one I've read that I tell people to avoid like the plague is Kathy Tyer's The Truce at Bakura which remains one of the worst novels I have ever read.

Thumbs up I still like Dune

Dune, along with Ender's Game and Armour are probably the most discussed books on this forum. It has it's detractors here, but I'd say that they are in a minority of less than 2%.
    If you're interested in what the discussion has been like about the novel for about the past 2 or 3 years, use the search engine at the top of the board.
    You might find it edifying.

I personally found it fascinating, never boring and very entertaining. I like the material in the catechism sections of the book.Like another here, (I think it's Rob B) I have never found it necessary to read any of the sequels even though I liked the novel. I don't really like the idea of sequels.
    I think the TV movie is ultimately more successful than the film at capturing the essence of the novel, although the film has it's moments. I don't have a favorite character.

The writing might be a bit dated, and occasionally show it's pulpy origins, but I still like Dune, enough to consider revisiting it at some later date.

If you don't read it now, don't worry about it. I read it in my late 20s.I probably had more patience for it, then if I had read it 5 or so years earlier. It'll be there on the shelf when you get there- it's not going anywhere.

It's impact on the genre if something like that matters, for better or worse, can't really be denied.

Anyway that's my 93 cents.
    Last edited by ArthurFrayn; July 12th, 2008 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NilsDesperandum View Post
    Dragon in the Sea (his first novel) is excellent
    The Green Brain is chilling
    Hellstrom's Hive, whilst not his best, is strangely appealing
    The Eyes of Heisenberg is also impressive

ND
    I can't remember if I have read any of these. I did read some of his other books. The Godmakers is one of my favorites. I have always been on the look out for Dragon in the sea.

Dune is the best scifi I have read. the next two were OK but the SEQUALS tailed off pretty quickly from there.

I always have to chime in when the movie is brought up. I call it the worst movie ever made at least as far as the expectation or potential goes.

How can you compare Dune book/movie with Star Wars movie/book. Movies made from books (good books) will never equal the book. You just can't get the same thing into a 2 hour movie. The Godfather is an exception I will entertain.

The Star Wars book is based on the movie. I would recommend to never read books based on movies.