Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superheroes

Hybrid View

Superheroes

Who is your favorite superhero and why do you like he or she?

I cannot decide who is my favorite at the moment, but one of the superheroes I respect the most is Batman.

Why?
    Because:
    *He lives in Gotham (NYC)
    *He isn't born with any supernatural powers.
    *He is rich, but cares about the poor.
    *Is learned in martial arts and other forms of combat.
    *Has a menacing quality about him.
    *Has a tormenting childhood.
    *Will never let a woman break his heart.

And because he isn't afraid to wear black, unlike all the other cliche colorful / star-spangled-banner-underpants heroes (Captain America, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, etc).

Isn't Gotham City "really" Chicago? I though Metropolis "was" New York. Other than that, I fully second that answer. The Batman rocks. Can't wait for The Dark Knight.

I think the reason I like Batman is that he isn't an aspirational figure, like so many of the luridly-coloured musclebound Heroes. I mean, would you want to be him? The poor guy's tortured, driven, fanatical. It makes him much more interesting than his colleagues.

[pedant] NB: The Batman doesn't wear black - he wears blue and grey, with a little yellow. [/pedant]

Definitely another thumbs up for Batman. I like the superheroes that kick ass without being aliens/mutants. I also like Batman because he's a conflicted figure -- he's very nearly a criminal in his own right.

My second would be Ironman.

Blog Entries
    Batman. He's the most realistic superhero, because he has no powers. He relies on his wealth, gadgets, strength in martial arts. He cares for all of Gotham, not just one woman. He's dark, and very nearly could be a villian himself. He has a bad past.
    Aye. Batman is the best.

I like Iron Man! I've only seen the film, but it was brilliant and I just loved the attitude!

Quote Originally Posted by Bree View Post
    Batman. He's the most realistic superhero, because he has no powers. He relies on his wealth, gadgets, strength in martial arts. He cares for all of Gotham, not just one woman. He's dark, and very nearly could be a villian himself. He has a bad past.
    Aye. Batman is the best.
    Spot on. I just rewatched The Dark Knight two days ago. Incredible movie.

SteveJordanBooks.com Right Brane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kged View Post
    Isn't Gotham City "really" Chicago? I though Metropolis "was" New York.
    Actually, it's the other way 'round. Chicago, the city considered the most modern and futuristic of American cities for years, was the original model for Metropolis, the natural city for a Kansas farmboy to head for (though the Reeve Superman movie clearly made it look like NYC). NYC, the older, more run-down and dark, home of muggers in alleys preying on the rich Long Island visitors, was the model for Gotham City.

Look at the architecture: The 19th century styles, often referred to as "Gothic," are more common to NYC than Chicago, which has a distinct 20th century style.

(Don't you love uber-analyzing superhero stuff?)

Batman and Superman

I agree Batman is cool because he is just a normal man with no special powers. I like the fact that he is so committed to the greater good and is prepared to make the choices that other people can’t make even if it means loosing what he loves the most. His costume is the best because it is classier, less colourful and not so attention seeking (check out my package in these pants!). His character faces this constant struggle between good and evil, he’s mentally unstable and traumatized by his past. This creates an on going internal battle, if he switched could do serious damage and that is why it is so readable/watchable.
    On the other hand I like Superman for the opposite reasons. He has the powers that would enable him to rule the world but he chooses not to use them in that way. What is also interesting is that his guise on earth as 'Clark Kent' represents his vision of humanity, cowardly and weak yet he fights to help regardless. Plus as a child I loved Super Girl… but I think that was just because I wanted to be her.

Quote Originally Posted by Right Brane View Post
    Actually, it's the other way 'round. Chicago...was the original model for Metropolis...NYC...was the model for Gotham City.
    OK, I can follow you there. Obviously this is my mistake, but for some reason I have an image of Chicago as being the more Gothamy town, which somehow fits the down-and-dirty Batman. I suspect this is because of a combination of (a) watching Due South, often set in crumbling Chicago underclass neighourhoods, and (b) my brief flirtation with watching American Football, during which the Chicago Bears had a sort of rough, blue-collar image. Also the fact that Clark Kent goes to work at a leading newspaper always inclined me to think of the New York Times. I have no valid reason for this.

(Don't you love uber-analyzing superhero stuff?)
    I rarely do anything else! I loved American comics as a kid, then drifted away from them until the modern classics started coming out and generating hype over here; Watchmen, Sandman, and of course The Dark Knight Returns, where it all stems from. That one in particular totally rekindled my fascination with The Batman, which has been fed and reinforced by the recent exceptional movies (note my new avatar). And the rise of internet geekdom has fulled it too, with a million theories and questions flying around - I remember being bowled over by the one about Robin's costume, and it spurring me on to new heights (depths?) of nerdiness. My girlfriend thinks it's great that I spend so much time on this stuff.

Oh wait - no, she doesn't.

Let me just say that Batman would kick Superman's butt any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Right Brane View Post
    Actually, it's the other way 'round. Chicago, the city considered the most modern and futuristic of American cities for years, was the original model for Metropolis, the natural city for a Kansas farmboy to head for (though the Reeve Superman movie clearly made it look like NYC). NYC, the older, more run-down and dark, home of muggers in alleys preying on the rich Long Island visitors, was the model for Gotham City.

Look at the architecture: The 19th century styles, often referred to as "Gothic," are more common to NYC than Chicago, which has a distinct 20th century style.
    Good point, but I think in the wake of The Dark Knight, Chicago is now the "new" Gotham.

Conan Troutman's Feed HSnodgrass's Avatar
    Where 110 degrees in the shade is normal.
    Green Arrow is my favorite. No superpowers, just a crack shot with a bow. Plus he had a billion dollar fortune and then donated it away then traveled the country in an old truck with Green Lantern a la The Merry Pranksters and Further. He also got really dark during "The Longbow Hunters". Good stuff all around. Kevin Smith also wrote a graphic novel, "Quiver", staring Green Arrow which was phenomenal.

THE TICK!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a batman fan, like wolverine plenty, when he isn't in seven places at once and discovering for the fortieth time that his real origins are actually something completely different than he found out last time.

But as much as I love the tormented hero, as much as I love a guy who conquers by intellect and/or sheer willpower, as much as I love the superheroes I can relate to, how do you beat a guy whose battle cry is SPOON!

or for that matter, a guy in a blue suit who calls himself 'the tick'.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by huanic View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a batman fan, like wolverine plenty, when he isn't in seven places at once and discovering for the fortieth time that his real origins are actually something completely different than he found out last time.
    There have been a lot of great reboots to some major comic book characters in the last year or so: Thor, Iron-man, Hulk (there now is a red hulk), Captain America, etc.
    As well as some that I would rather forget: Spiderman: a brand new day for instance.

While I left the states before things got really interesting with Batman, but when I left Batman had died in the Final Crisis (a very confusing and let down IMHO) and DC was just getting ready to launch the series Battle for the Cowl in which Robin's 1,2, and 3 were going to hack it out to see who would become the next batman.

As far as Final Crisis is concerned it was a big let down and now we have the rainbow coalition of lanterns from green, red, yellow, red, blue, purple, etc. While the beginings looked good the addition of all of the lanterns turned me off
    But as much as I love the tormented hero, as much as I love a guy who conquers by intellect and/or sheer willpower, as much as I love the superheroes I can relate to, how do you beat a guy whose battle cry is SPOON!

or for that matter, a guy in a blue suit who calls himself 'the tick'.

Final Crisis was a joke, all that to bring back Flash. Marvels Secret Invasion was done just as poorly though.
    Last edited by kater; December 1st, 2011 at 06:28 AM.