Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Superheroes

Ironman, Love the thought of battle armor.

Gentleman and Scholar Wulfa_Jones's Avatar
    Marvel totally over use Wolverine.... he in two different team (Avengers and X-Men) as well as having about 5 different solo titles.

Not to be patriotic, but I quite like Captain Britain. My all time favourite Superhero is Beast – Hank McCoy, not really due to his abilities, but more to how the character is written.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulfa_Jones View Post
    Marvel totally over use Wolverine.... he in two different team (Avengers and X-Men) as well as having about 5 different solo titles.
    He also leads X-Force atm
    The new Captain Britain is really good, some strong storylines so far but my current favourite is Immortal Iron Fist. It's Marvel's best 'new' series in a long time.

The Batman sucks. He's the most 'realistic' superhero if you ignore all the other unpowered superheroes. You know the ones who aren't multi-bajillionares, AND have black belts in a dozen martial arts AND are Olympic level athlete, AND have PhDs in Chemistry, Psychology, Biology, Forensics, and Criminal Law, AND have the single greatest information network in the world, AND have every conceivable object in their magic belt of plot.

James Bond is more realistic than Batman, and no one pretends that James Bond is anything other than blatant wish fulfillment.

As I character I find Batman horribly shallow. Because he’s DC’s cash cow, he can’t kill anyone, so we get lots of BS about how he never goes ‘too far’ and has a ‘code’ he follows. At the same time, we see him break someone’s spine, break their bones, toss them into windows and then let them bleed out while he interrogates them, electrocutes people, etc. If this were reality, some of these people would die, but DC’s plot angels make it so Batman never kills. Everyone magically makes it to a hospital in time where they get just the help they need (though we’re told that in Gotham, Emergency Rooms are crowded and people sometimes have to wait for hours for care, this never happens to someone he’s almost beaten to death.)

Contrast this to Wonder Woman, who will kill to defend herself or save lives but doesn’t cause more harm than necessary to stop an opponent, or Daredevil, who doesn’t kill on purpose, but has accidently killed people in fights.

Oh, and Batman’s personality. Yeah, he’s dark and broody. Sort like that one vampire guy from Twilight.

contains traces of nuts Hoodwink's Avatar
    I love you Hippokrene

If Batman was any kind of true Batman, he'd hang upside from the roof of his bat cave and his bat mobile would be covered in guano. But no, he sleeps in a four poster and has a butler wake him up with breakfast.

So he lost his parents when he was young. Boohoo. They left him a trust fund and what does he spend it on? A gimp suit with a cape. And what's with this crap about putting a "bat-" prefix on everything? The bat-cave, the bat-mobile, the bat-cycle, the bat-phone.

We get it already! What's next? Alfred, fetch the Bat-underpants and my lucky Bat-socks?

Give me Spiderman, every damn day of the week. And if he's busy, give me a Silver Surfer.

How about Sailormoon?

... all right, I hate Sailormoon.

Does Alphonse Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist) count?

I was a huge Thor fan growing up. Asgard, Odin and Loki - that was cool stuff. I did not like the secret identity part very much and felt it was better when that aspect ended. I also read a lot of Warlord which I think was DC - but I dont think he was a "Hero" necessarily. I have boxes of comics in my attic.

I could never relate at all to Superman - all that power and he works at a newspaper. I think I would lose my mind or just take over the world and run it according to my own philosophical bent. The villians in Superman were way cooler.

As far as superheroes I loved the whole X-men team especially Storm and Wolverine.

I miss the days of taking my allowance and buying comics and waiting till I got home to sit on my bed and read them. That was heaven. I dont know how kids afford them now a days.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Darth View Post
    I was a huge Thor fan growing up. Asgard, Odin and Loki - that was cool stuff. I did not like the secret identity part very much and felt it was better when that aspect ended. I also read a lot of Warlord which I think was DC - but I dont think he was a "Hero" necessarily. I have boxes of comics in my attic.
    Might be worth checking their value Thor is really good at the moment, they did essentially a relaunch of the character a year ago and it's worked well with some top quality art and excellent writing. Warlord's had two 'revivals', the second one only last month and sadly both have been pretty dreadful.

I could never relate at all to Superman - all that power and he works at a newspaper. I think I would lose my mind or just take over the world and run it according to my own philosophical bent. The villians in Superman were way cooler.
    There seems to be a movement along that line of thought recently, Marvel did a Squadron Supreme remake that had a lead character who was a very interesting alternate take on Superman. Mark Waid only last month put out Irredeemable where the Superman character is what the title suggests and a friend of mine, Justin Jordan, has written a title called Overthrow based on the premise that Superman essentially says "I can rule this world better than you, so I will.'

Quote Originally Posted by kater View Post
    Might be worth checking their value Thor is really good at the moment, they did essentially a relaunch of the character a year ago and it's worked well with some top quality art and excellent writing. Warlord's had two 'revivals', the second one only last month and sadly both have been pretty dreadful.
    I am glad to hear Thor is back. I picked up a graphic novel a while back called Loki I think and it was from his perspective. Thor thumped him for good at the end of that one. It was really interesting. I am curious if any of the relaunch has been issued in graphic novel format ala the Sandman. I would love to pick it up and give it a try.

Too bad for the Warlord. Thinking back on that comic it had a lot to do with developing my interest in fantasy along with Thor. I mean the guy was basically naked running around with a sword. Talk about the suspension of disbelief - I thought it rocked then.

Blog Entries
    I am curious if any of the relaunch has been issued in graphic novel format ala the Sandman. I would love to pick it up and give it a try.
    Volume 1 trade collecting the first 6 issues in paperback format http://www.amazon.ca/Thor-J-Michael-...1618396&sr=1-1 you can get it in hardcover aswell but it's about half as expensive again. The second volume isn't due until June.

Kater - Thanks for the information. I will definitely check it out. I have not had a good comics chat in ages. These days my purchases are mainly graphic novels or in the collection format. I like to get something weighty in my hands and read a whole story at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Right Brane View Post
    Actually, it's the other way 'round. Chicago, the city considered the most modern and futuristic of American cities for years, was the original model for Metropolis, the natural city for a Kansas farmboy to head for (though the Reeve Superman movie clearly made it look like NYC). NYC, the older, more run-down and dark, home of muggers in alleys preying on the rich Long Island visitors, was the model for Gotham City.

Look at the architecture: The 19th century styles, often referred to as "Gothic," are more common to NYC than Chicago, which has a distinct 20th century style.
    Good point, but I think in the wake of The Dark Knight, Chicago is now the "new" Gotham.

Conan Troutman's Feed HSnodgrass's Avatar
    Where 110 degrees in the shade is normal.
    Green Arrow is my favorite. No superpowers, just a crack shot with a bow. Plus he had a billion dollar fortune and then donated it away then traveled the country in an old truck with Green Lantern a la The Merry Pranksters and Further. He also got really dark during "The Longbow Hunters". Good stuff all around. Kevin Smith also wrote a graphic novel, "Quiver", staring Green Arrow which was phenomenal.

Green Arrow rocks. I collected him for a long time. I particulalrly enjoyed when he was not using the trick arrows. I wanted a blonde goatee like him but alas my beard is black. Not that I am allowed to grow one - but thats a story for another day. This post is always a blast from the past for me.

Blog Entries
    I think you guys will like Green Arrow: Year One by Andy Diggle and Jock if you haven't tried it, it's a revamped origin story that came out about 12/15 months ago. The story edges more towards realism and some fun with young, reckless Ollie before he finds his calling. I'm not a big GA fan but Diggle and Jock are so good I had to have a look and ended up really enjoying it.