Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    How do you know she didn't put any thought into it, Mith?
    I don't "know" it. That's why I said it "sounded" like names that didn't have any thoughts put into it. Why I said they sounded lame and simplistic. Who knows, maybe she sat at home in her rocking chair for years thinking up these names, and just came out in the end doing a poor job. Or, perhaps like you, she just doesn't think naming is important in Fantasy and secondary worlds.

Other than that, you not finding my opinions "particularly persuasive" is about as surprising as sunshine in Africa, since you hold the opposite opinion. You think the names are fine, you don't want reviewers to say they are not fine, and you're not someone known to change her mind once positions have been taken. In short, I agree to completely disagree with your take and opinions on this book.

And I'm sure the fact that this is an unknown female author just trying to break into the market has absolutely nothing to do with your vehement defense

Thanks, Wert.

I didn't say that names weren't important in Fantasy fiction, Mith. What I said was that having as a main complaint the fact that the names were seen as cute rather than cool was a poor way to assess someone's writing ability. And perhaps misses the point of the names in relation to the story, just because they aren't big, bad, strong names. (As also in Red Wolf Conspiracy, where the names are deliberately Victorian-style.)

As for the author's gender, I'd have the same complaint if she were male, because then he'd get the same back-handed compliments -- it's not gritty, but it's okay for a fairy tale. A fairy tale about an assassin who is angry and trying to get in control of her life.

Look, I think the world of Mark and appreciate Wert giving us the head's up so often -- it's not like they get paid for doing this -- but the thread is to discuss the work, and saying it has well-drawn characters with twee names is not much of a comment on it. And if the book is going to end up in the nice ghetto, review-wise, I think it could at least be for something more substantial than character names. So I asked for an elaboration.

As for my persuasion comment, I meant persuading others, not me. But if it makes you feel better, Mith, I can remember at least three instances where you did persuade me on a point.

So, anything else about the novel worth mentioning? How would you compare it to Alison Croggon's work, for instance?

Well, curse it, I do sincerely apologize to Kristin Cashore. I hope my dust-up about character names does not discourage anyone from checking out the book, as it does sound interesting. And thanks again to Mark and Wert for taking the time to review it.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    I was reading Don D'Amassa's review site today and he just reviewed this book here:

http://www.dondammassa.com/r2c2008.htm

For what it's worth, he does confirm my feeling when reading the naming of the characters that this is actually a book in the Young Adult field of the market. Not a value judgement per se, but it does enforce my comment that oftentimes you only need to read a synopsis and the names of the characters to see if a book is or is not Young Adult.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    And Graeme seems to have had similar issues HERE.
    A real bugbear of mine, in fantasy literature, is names that blatantly look like they were cobbled together at random off a Scrabble board. I don’t mind if all the names in a book are like this (at least it’s consistent) but when it’s a mixture of ‘decent sounding’ names and names that... well... aren’t then that bugs me even more. It’s like only doing half a job!
    While ‘Katsa’ is a quite a cool name and ‘Randa’ (the King) just about passes muster I have real trouble getting into a book where I’m giggling at names like ‘Po’ and ‘Tealiff’. That’s just me though and it may be that any other reader wouldn’t have a problem with names like these (I doubt it though).
    Mark / Hobbit
    Mark