Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Oh, NO (Soldier's Son)

I read the first book of the series BTW, and I really liked it.

Are you kidding me? Robin Hobb made Nevare grow FAT as a side effect??? That is like possibly the worst side effect ever. I almost can't read it, as I can't believe all this that Nevare is going through (I'm at the wedding). Why can't anything be good for him... ....

Anyone have some good things to say to look forward to? This is just depressing atm.
    Last edited by clonewars222; August 7th, 2009 at 10:38 AM.

Well, a few of us (Mithfanion and myself most vocally) were really miffed at the second book in this trilogy. I haven't (and probably won't) read the third book of the trilogy, but here's what I said about Forest Mage in the Forest Mage thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B
    I closed up what is possibly the most frustrating book I've read in the past few years, Forest Mage. Frustrating that the writing itself was good and parts of the story sucked me in, which contrasts with the utter despair at the hopelessness of Nevare's character. Frustrating because I've come to expect the good writing, and even the passivity of the slacker protagonist, but here it was almost too much to bear.

I agree with much of what Mithf says, about 200 pages of this novel was a constant reminder of how fat Nevare had become. That is browbeating the reader, almost into submission. Much of the novel (maybe 50 pages worth even) was Nevare constantly saying "I don't know what to do" or some similar phrase. Basically, far too much of the obvious being hinted at without stating the obvious.

People have complained that Fitz was something of a dullard. I hope for their sake, they never read this book. Nevare's outright stubborn insistence on doing absolutely nothing was also frustrating. Am I the only one who was thinking from about the first third of the novel that he could have gone to Epiny for assistance with his magic? It is almost as if Nevare forgot that she helped in the previous novel.

Watching Nevare persist in doing nothing for himself other than accept the meagerness thrown at him rather than be proactive was akin to driving slowly past a horrific car wreck. You don't want to look and see the blood and death, but part of you is fascinated by it, while the other part wants to see the reason for their delay. I don't know if that is a compliment, but that quality about the story did keep me reading, and fervently at that.

I don't even think there was a good case to support either sides of the conflict (Specks vs. Gernians).

On the converse side, I would attribute much of Nevare's despair and hesitance to act as a result of his un-acceptance of the magic.

To me, this novel could have been trimmed considerably and it would have been a stronger novel, without the browbeating. I get the sense that perhaps this "trilogy" with some judicious (and often needed) editing, could have been a duology.

In the end I was very compelled (almost as addictively as Nevare's eating compulsion) to read through to the end, and to even want to read the final installment. What is also frustrating is that the it took Nevare so long to finally take some sort of stand and the novel ends on a cliffhanger.

I am also am curious if it could have indeed, read as well (or better) as a duology.
    Here's a thread on the final book, where you might find some opinions (and maybe spoilers):
    Renegade's Magic
    Last edited by Rob B; August 7th, 2009 at 12:01 PM.

Maine Pro Disc Golf
    I was tragically disapointed by this trilogy as well. We have come to expect so much from Hobb and she rolls out this sorry excuse for literature. I will admit though, even though I did hate them, I read them all. Like Rob suggested the perfect car accident you can't take your eyes off of it. Don't get me wrong, there were some things that were interesting and enjoyable in this series, they were just few and far between.

CloneWars at least you can rest a bit easier knowing that book 3 was by far and away the best book in the series. It was actually the only thing that made me not burn them when I finished. Nevare might be one of the most depressing, stupid and uninteresting main character in the history of main characters though. (Fitz was not exactly a charmer either, but Kennet and Althea, hell yeah!)

Keeping my fingers crossed that The Dragon Keeper Chronicles turn out better than the SS trilogy did. (I am really hoping that Hobb never tries to get all politically/socially allegorical on us again.)

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    I actually really enjoyed book 2, but on this forum I seem to be the minority.

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    My initial impressions were that it was a solid series, but nothing spectacular. Only good. At the time, I was glad to have read it, but as time has passed, my feelings have changed. I have no intention of ever reading it again, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, either. It actually left such a bad taste in my mouth, that I've never been able to muster the courage to read any of her acclaimed series'.
    Soldier Son is depressing and ultimately pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    I enjoyed the trilogy a great deal. But I'm a huge Robin Hobb fan. Her writing, for whatever reason, just does it for me. I love her ability to slow the pace of the story and give her readers an opportunity to enjoy the characters, and I love how she doesn't end her books 2 pages after the climax.

And yes, Soldier Son is tough to read in parts. The wedding scene (and a few after it) in particular.

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    Well, I'm glad someone liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Radone View Post
    Well, I'm glad someone liked it.
    It's actually a shame if Soldier Son stops you from reading her Fitz books. They're very, very good and nothing like Solider Son. I promise!

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    Me too. Forest Mage was the best book in the trilogy.

Inter spem metumque iacto Julian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
    Me too. Forest Mage was the best book in the trilogy.
    Me too, too. It was the third book that was, well, terrible.

I have read twelve of Robin Hobb's books and loved them all with the exception of The Soldier Son series. I thought book one was ok and kept going just because of her previous track record but book two was so bad it was almost unreadable. Book three was given to me as a gift and even getting it for free I was disappointed. I'm hoping to hear some positive reviews on her new book because I loved the Farseer, Tawny, and Liveship trilogies.

Is there anything else to look forward to in this second book? I'm like 100 page in right at the wedding scene.

Inter spem metumque iacto Julian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather Myst View Post
    I'm hoping to hear some positive reviews on her new book because I loved the Farseer, Tawny, and Liveship trilogies.
    You're probably alright. The Dragon Keeper is not at all bad, and since it's set in the Farseer/Liveship Traders world, it's much closer in tone to those books (especially Liveship). Bear in mind, though, that it's actually just the first half of a much larger book, and hence it doesn't really have much of an ending. It's more a set up for what's to come. (Some good characters, though: especially Alise and Sedric.)

You may actually want to wait a little while, until the second half is published - and then read the whole thing at once. Of course, I had no such patience...

I thought The Dragon Keeper was pretty good. Some faults but as the above dude mentioned, mainly due to it only really being half a book.

As for Soldier's Son, I thought the first book was average but the second I had to give up on. I don't want to read a book about a guy who everyone hates because he's fat. It got to a stage where I just found it funny every time a family member or a friend would snub Nevarre for being fat. Also I find that world really, really boring.

clonewars222 I can't tell you that book two is going to get any better but what do you have to lose since your already one hundred pages in? Some posters here have enjoyed the book so I think you should finish it out. If you feel the same way I did you can forget about the third book. I kind of feel like she just wanted to write a protect the enviroment book and left her story telling skills at home. It was such a let down for me because all of her previous books had set the bar so high.