Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Greek mythology fiction

I am looking to read some good Greek mythology fiction books. I am mostly interested the Greek god, and minotaurs and what not. I am mostly I fantasy reader but thought I would like this as well.

Any suggestions on where to start?

no one has anything sugestions?

If you haven't already read Mary Renault's Theseus duology, I would recommend those (they are among the best you'll find):

The King Must Die
    The Bull from the Sea

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by Raule View Post
    If you haven't already read Mary Renault's Theseus duology, I would recommend those (they are among the best you'll find):

The King Must Die
    The Bull from the Sea
    Second that completely -all Mary Renault is superb btw

Check Steven Saylor "bookshop" for tons of books about the Classical World:

http://www.stevensaylor.com/StevensB...#anchor2631492

I would suggest trying the Chronicles of Chaos Series by John C. Wright (Orphans of Chaos is the 1st book). Orphans of Chaos is the first book. They use a lot of Greek gods and other creatures in this series. IMO it is very good.

Troy and Ithaka, by Adele Geras. YA but excellent.

Could give Illium and Olympos a go.

books

I studied Greek and roman and ever since then have been addicted. Most famous writers are Sopocles: famous for Oedipus which is famous in psychology. Homer is a famous one as well. If you just want laid back reading material you could read a book by Thomas Bulfinch. This book contains famous myths of Greece and Rome.

Troy series by David Gemmell
    Firebrand by Marion Zimmer Bradley
    Black Ships by Jo Graham

The following from my library may kind of fit the bill, but they are more Historical Fiction than myth based:

The Persian Boy - Mary Renault (highly recommended Alexander book)
    The Last of the Wine - Mary Renault
    The Song of Troy - Colleen McCullough
    Lion of Macedon - David Gemmell
    Gates of Fire - Steven Pressfield (Excellent take on the Thermopylae story)

ND
    Last edited by NilsDesperandum; August 16th, 2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: forgot GoF

Gene Wolfe's Soldier series, especially Soldier in the Mist and Soldier of Arete (omnibus Latro in the Mist) is excellent Greek historical fiction/fantasy. To make a long story short, Latro is a Roman mercenary in Xerxes army. He sustained a head wound at the Battle of Plataea that causes him to lose his memory at the end of every day (think Memento). As a result of his head wound, or in spite of, he is able to speak with the gods. If you are into Greek mythology these books are a must read.

The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield and Edward Blishen, if you can find it. Lyrical and beautiful version of the story of the titans and the creation of the gods.

<3starkcadvannicholas<3 AllegraBeloved's Avatar
    The percy jackson books, cant think of the author.

<3starkcadvannicholas<3 AllegraBeloved's Avatar
    rick riordan

Dragonmage
    Blog Entries
    Try writing your own but not neccesarily restricting it to Greek mythology or using a certain myth,

Ive done fitcition using
    The Ragnarok myth (There was a lot of science fiction involved the 'battle' itself took place in a south American pyramid temple in the middle of a city occupied by snake warrior women)
    Typhon (appearing as a demonic dragon and the ring leader in a potentially cataclysmic battle and the main protagonists have to battle their way through an underground dragon located on the banks of the river Nile)
    One set beneath an ancient Greek style city in which the protagnists're enlisted by a friend to venture forth threough the labyrinth (There were a few minotaurs but the main baddie was another demonic dragon)
    I'm currently working on one using the legend of Lamia as a backdrop in which a mortal barbarian queen HAS to go forth and battle her, thus saving the world from being over run by demonic armies but she has to call upon some friends to get her to the bottom of the pyramid, battle Lamia and rescue a prince but she'd much rather be at home leading her own people into battle.
    I'm not attempting to do anything like Clash of The Titans, just writing as a hobby and using elements from other myths from other parts of the world works for me.