The meaning of life???

Intense Character Development

Hi everyone

I recently read Robin Hobb's books (Farseer, Tawny Man) and I was completely blown away! I loved the first person writing style and the incredible developement of the characters - especially Fitz. Her level of writing was also phenomenal. I love Fantasy books but before now I have mostly read "epic" fantasies (eg. Feist) and pure action fantasies (eg. Gemmel). Hobb opened me up to a whole new level of Fantasy for which I am grateful.

What I wanted to know was if there are similar authour of such a high calibre - specifically in terms of character development - as Hobb out there?

Thanks

Hi,

Have you ever read any of A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin? The series starts with A Game of Thrones and is currently four books long with three more forthcoming (albeit rarther slowly).

His characters are excellent, the best I have come accross in any fanstasy. His books are written from multiple points-of-view, although they are not written in 1st person, each chapter follows one of the characters. If you like Robin Hobb, I'm sure you'll like George R. R. Martin.

Uh, Moderator
    I also found that Hobb pulled on the heart strings a bit. The only novels I can think of within the epic fantasy sub-genre that I thought were any where near as effective were Kate Elliott's Crown of Stars, but even then they didn't pack anywhere near the punch of Hobb. Stephen Donaldson can be very effective for me, but seems to be hit and miss for a lot of people on this board.
    How strongly attached to secondary world fantasy are you? Stephen King's Dark Tower books got me just as choked up, if not more, than Hobb did. Graham Joyce tends to write character studies I find interesting. I'd have to strongly suggest The Road by Cormac Mcarthy as well. I also recently read The Terror by Dan Simmons, which I thought had some great characters.
    It's all subjective though I suppose, so I'm not sure if any of those would work for you.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Juliett Marillier - Sevenwaters books [starts with Daughter of the Forest]
    Elizabeth Moon - Deed of Paksenarrion [starts with The Sheepfarmer's Daughter]
    Lois McMaster Bujold - Curse of Chalion

The meaning of life???
    Thanks for the advice guys - I'll be sure to keep it in mind. The problem is, I don't really have the monet to buy books to 'try out' and my local library is not too great in terms of fantasy books. I usually borrow books from friends, etc. Nevertheless, I will consider the books you have named.

boondock

Quote Originally Posted by boondock View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys - I'll be sure to keep it in mind. The problem is, I don't really have the monet to buy books to 'try out' and my local library is not too great in terms of fantasy books. I usually borrow books from friends, etc. Nevertheless, I will consider the books you have named.

boondock
    I think A Song of Ice and Fire would be there, since it's a NYT bestseller, but that's besides the point.

Stephen King's Dark Tower has very good - not at Martin or Hobb's level at all, but well done nontheless - characterization. I don't know if I'd call it "intense," but it would most likely be in your library, since it's written by Stephen King. The first volume is The Gunslinger.

The meaning of life???
    I'm serious about my library - its really, really bad!
    I actually know of someone who owns the whole Dark Tower series so I guess I'll give it a try.