Thread: Back to Sci-Fi

Back to Sci-Fi

I was wondering if there is a such book where the superhero is a human with gadgetry like Batman, story plot of Lost and writing style of Agatha Cristy( Sherlock Holmes-Hector Poaro-Monk like detail writing)

Or something similar dwelling into physics a lot..

Thanks,

Dean

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    sf with sherlock holmes overtones : Isaac Asimov Robot books [Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun, The Robots of Dawn] - but you lost me with the Lost connection. Maybe Coldfire trilogy by Celia Friedman - where you have the SF link [alien planet settled by humans] and a lot of paranormal activities [nightmares turned to flesh] that will eventually be explained by the end of the book. Again it's two out of three because the plot is quest based, not mistery crime detective].

I am looking for books more involved in the scientific phenomena dn the scientific method and something published in recent years with good background in future technologies such as invisibility cloaks, time travel, space elevators and such.

I highly doubt the existence of any author who is interested in such a variety of genre. I should write it myself....

Quote Originally Posted by aux9098i View Post
    I am looking for books more involved in the scientific phenomena dn the scientific method and something published in recent years with good background in future technologies such as invisibility cloaks, time travel, space elevators and such.

I highly doubt the existence of any author who is interested in such a variety of genre. I should write it myself....
    If what you are looking for are fabulous gizmo stories, you should go back to look at was was being done in the pulp era from '26 to the late '40's. There are a TON of books with that from that era. Try Hamilton, EE "Doc" Smith and A.E. VanVogt.

If you want something newer, try Tony Daniel. He has some things you may like.

AC Clarke wrote a book called The Fountains of Paradise about a space elevator.

I saw your post over at Chronicles and I was nto sure how to answer. You should give more detail.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    I've thought of one more name for you :
    Iain M Banks and his Culture series. Best SF I read lately with some investigative plots, fantasy elements [especially in The Algebraist] and wonders of technology eveywhere.