Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Heinlein: Virginia edition

Thought some might be interested.

It's taken a while, but the first 7 editions of the Virginia Editions arrived at Hobbit Towers today.

The boxes:

Inside:

The spines (1 to 7)

The front covers:

(Click on the thumbnail for a bigger picture.)

Just thought some might want to see them, if nothing else to show they exist.

(7 down, 37 or so to go!)

Mark / Hobbit
    Mark

Who is publishing those now? I heard that the original publisher went bust and someone else was going to finish.

What "personal Heinlein item" did you get with yours?

Blog Entries
    Well it's not Meisha Merlin, though Stephen Pagel is given as 'project director'.

According to the books they're being published by the Robert A. and Virginia Heinlein Prize Trust. Or the Virginia Trust, Inc.

Erm: I got a non-Heinlein fiction book and a book about cats from their library.

Mark / Hobbit
    Mark

Very nice, Mark. Thanks for sharing.

Any mention of wall traversing felines in the book about cats from their library?

I seriously contemplated ordering that set, but decided not to when I saw that the publisher went out. I also thought the whole project was cancelled????? How is the quality of the books? Did you open any to look at the illustrations, not asking you to do that just to satisfy my whims though. I often just leave books in shrink wrap if they are *special editions*, and I have already read them.

Blog Entries
    LOL. No, I opened them after I'd taken the photos.

The books are OK but, unlike the MM editions, no slipcases and no gilt edging. Nice little ribbon bookmark and, of course, no dustjacket. I'm still not convinced the paper is the best: Easton Press do that better, in my opinion, but I am at least pleased that I got something out of it. I really thought I wasn't going to see anything of the money after what happened.

So in a way I'm pleased and grateful I got something. As I was one of the ultra-limited, they have actually decided to send me two sets. (See boxes in first picture.)

And no, no wall traversing cats as far as I can see, Neil!

Mark / Hobbit
    Last edited by Hobbit; August 30th, 2008 at 12:44 PM.
    Mark

I'm sort of afraid to reread Heinlein. It was great stuff when I was a teen, but I'm not sure how well it would hold up now. Hate to tarnish the memories.

Blog Entries
    I can understand that, Arrgh: I reread Door Into Summer when it arrived (in a day!) and it wasn't too bad. Some of it was very good and there are adult aspects I hadn't picked up 30-odd years ago...

However, there are some that leave me cold.

I must admit though that I am looking forward to reading some of these again - it has been a while. And I am hoping that I might have grown into some of those I didn't like when I first read them.

Mark / Hobbit
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Well it's not Meisha Merlin, though Stephen Pagel is given as 'project director'.

According to the books they're being published by the Robert A. and Virginia Heinlein Prize Trust. Or the Virginia Trust, Inc.

Erm: I got a non-Heinlein fiction book and a book about cats from their library.

Mark / Hobbit
    I think the old Meisha Merlin site had an ad for these things. I though it was a great idea, but the piece they had in the ad was like a receipt for toothpaste, or dry cleaning or something. Maybe a checkbook stub. Something completely mundane like that.

Blog Entries
    Just an update: was a good day at Hobbit Towers today. Second batch arrived!

Click for bigger picture, if required. Lots of my favourites in this batch, including the first Heinlein I ever read, which made me go find more....

(That's 14 today: 21 to date. About halfway through.)

Mark
    Last edited by Hobbit; February 18th, 2009 at 07:30 PM.
    Mark

Thanks for sharing. I would love to have Starship Troopers on my coffee table.

Blog Entries
    All things being well, (fingers crossed!) I found out today that the next batch due for release will be in the following order over the summer:
    • The Number of the Beast
    • Friday
    • Job
    • Sixth Column
    • The Cat Who Walks Through Walls
    • To Sail Beyond the Sunset
    • Future History, volume 1
    • Podkayne of Mars
    • The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
    • Expanded Universe
    • Creating a Genre
    • New Worlds to Conquer
    • Glory Road
    • Farnham's Freehold

There's some of my favourites in there, some I don't recognise (Creating a Genre, anyone?) and some I haven't read for years, so I'm looking forward to their release.

More news as I get it!

Mark
    Mark

Looks nice. Hey - if you ever decide that you don't want them anymore...

Blog Entries
    Hiya, Rim/Steve!

You never know.... I might have another set, though I suspect the postage these days would be nearly as much as the books....

Yes, I am working my way through them on rereads. Some hold up better than others, but they all have something of value.

What is also interesting (to me, anyway!) is that I'm now comparing the magazine versions with the novel versions. Not many differences, but it is interesting to see Heinlein's work in the context of other material at the time.

Mark
    Mark

am prob gonna say ouch to an answer but when ever im in book shops and see heinlein covers i dont have i just have to buy them, think i got about 6 copies of Starship Trooper. how much does 1 of these sets cost although im thinking would be a hard sell to other half whatever the price as i already own all his books