Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not quite sure what the going rate at the moment is Cap: but I've heard of $1500 for 40-odd books. These are hardback leatherbound editions - there might be cheaper?

[Later edit: Actually here's a link: HERE. Also available in downpayments by the looks of things.]

Hope that helps!

Mark
    Mark

thanks for reply better add that to the pile of things to buy when i win the lottery then
    they are nice though

Pretty cool stuff, if only for the truly dedicated fan.

Blog Entries
    UPDATE: These arrived earlier:

• The Future History of Robert Heinlein, Volume 1
    • The Future History of Robert Heinlein, Volume 2
    • Friday
    • The Number of the Beast
    • The Cat Who Walks Through Walls
    • Sixth Column
    • Job: A Comedy of Justice
    • To Sail Beyond the Sunset
    • Expanded Universe
    • Podkayne of Mars

Evidently these should arrive just in time for Xmas:

• Creating a Genre
    • The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
    • New Worlds to Conquer
    • Glory Road
    • Puppet Masters

Mark
    Last edited by Hobbit; December 2nd, 2010 at 05:25 PM.
    Mark

I think I would enjoy re-reading many of Heinlein's books, but I'm not a book collector, I do better if I can buy it on kindle, and most of them arent available.

What do you think Hobbit, would something like Have Space Suit Will Travel possibly be a good book to read to my kids, 6 and 9? I dont remember it much, other than that it is a protypical Heinlein YA work.

Blog Entries
    Hi Art.

It's a good question. And yes, I think that some of the juveniles would work: I'd be tempted to go for something like Red Planet (with Willis, the cute Martian) or Star Beast (with Lummox) as well as 'Have Space Suit'. Some of them have dated horribly: RocketShip Galileo, for example.

My first was Tunnel in the Sky when I was about 7. Might also work.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Hi Art.

It's a good question. And yes, I think that some of the juveniles would work: I'd be tempted to go for something like Red Planet (with Willis, the cute Martian) or Star Beast (with Lummox) as well as 'Have Space Suit'. Some of them have dated horribly: RocketShip Galileo, for example.

Mark
    Aha! Remembered Star Beast instantly when I saw the cover on Amazon just now. That strikes me as an excellent suggestion. Thanks Hobbit, I'll let you know how it goes!

Blog Entries
    Yes please, Art: always interested to hear about what others think.

Mark
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Funny how these things happen: Jo Waton's just reviewed Have Spacesuit over at Tor: LINK.

Has interesting things to say about the novel. Been a while for me, that one, too.

Mark
    Mark

I read this for the first time earlier this year and really enjoyed it too (my first Heinlein)

UPDATE: These arrived earlier:
    Evidently these should arrive just in time for Xmas:

• Creating a Genre
    • The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
    • New Worlds to Conquer
    • Glory Road
    • Puppet Masters

Mark
    Can you tell me about the quality and whether you're happy with it? How's the print quality and editing? Many typos?

Also, how's the binding? Is it solid? You think it will hold up to a dozen readings over the next 20 years and still hold together?

I'm thinking about buying these but it's a lot of money. Just like to know what you think and whether you feel it's a good value for the money. I haven't been able to find any reviews online...

Thanks!

David

Blog Entries
    Hi David.

Hmm. For the record, I have the deluxe edition with leather covers and bindings:

http://www.virginiaedition.com/photos.aspx

Must admit that the paper is OK, though frankly not as nice as I had hoped. According to the website, it is '50# natural writer's white acid-free paper' but it's not the whitest I've ever seen.

Binding looks solid: glued, not sewn, though. Nevertheless, I think it would hold up to repeated readings. Been OK so far, though I am very careful about how I handle my books. Not quite 'handle with white gloves', but I do look after them.

They're a lot of money, to be honest. I bought them early, so not quite as expensive as they could be. I was a little annoyed that they weren't in publication order (though I have arranged them myself in that order.)

There are some typos but not too many (at least from what I've seen so far.)

I was disappointed that some suggested extras (like enclosing the alternative ending to Podkayne of Mars, for example) didn't happen. But some of the story collections are great.

You're not going to get a more consistent series of Heinlein's books, I suspect. But I totally accept they are a lot of money. (about $40 each.) Though I do appreciate the series and think they'll look great when they're complete, they're not as nice as the original Meisha Merlin slipcased editions.

In short summary, a great but not an unqualified success.

Hope that helps!

Mark
    Mark

Heinlein is one of those authors I don't re-read anymore. Knowing what his later books turns into spoils his early writing for me as I can see signs of the coming degeneration.

But the editions you received of those books are very nice and would be a very nice collectors set. They are quite handsome.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Duncan.

Heinlein and Clarke (later Asimov) were authors whose books got me into SF many moons ago.

The rereads of Heinlein I've done in recent years have been interesting. There's a lot I didn't get first (or even second and third!) time around. Some are definitely better than others, but some have been surprisingly worth a reread.

Take your point, though: I'm still trying to reread some of those later novels....

Mark
    Mark

Heinlein was one of my first SF reads and I loved them when I first read them. But I find myself getting uncomfortable with his current fandom which seems more political then due to enjoyment of his reading.

I enjoyed Poul Anderson during the same time period, and I still like his work and reread much of it. As an ebook convert I search out my favorites in ebook format. Unfortunately I haven't found all I want. I reserve my book shelves for collectibles now. And those editions of Heinlein's work definitely fit the mold. I recently got the 6 volume set of Roger Zelazny's short stories and loved them.