Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Tesela, I understand you completely. I feel in love with Bob when I was young and then read my way through it all!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Thanks Teela: I think I'm very lucky myself!

Not sure if I've said this in the earlier posts but Heinlein was one of my first loves: Tunnel in the Sky was my first Hardback buy, (still have my original copy!) and have my old New English Library copies getting on for nearly forty years old....

I'm having fun with rereads: as you say, some are great, and even better than I remembered, some are not good. But, on the whole, they are treasured!

Mark
    Ditto and agreed! I bet I've read Podkayne at least 30 times. Same holds true for several others. Heinlein is one of the sacred few that I turn to when I can't decide what to read next or can't find what I'm looking for. When in doubt, Heinlein!

OMG I am extremely jealous. Part of me hates you now Hobbit :P

As to rereading Heinlein. I think I've reread pretty much all his novels at least once since adulthood. I find even the supposed terrible ones to be enjoyable really. He was sort of my early life mentor and his books helped shape a lot of my views on life.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Part of me hates you now Hobbit :P
    Sorry for that, Shonsu!

Seem to be nearly there on the publication of these last few. The latest message was:

This morning I received an email from Julie at Transcontinental letting me know that the three I had worked on were not different enough. So I worked on them for several hours this morning and sent them back to her and should hear back tomorrow morning.

This is the last stage of the getting everything printed so they can be bound and shipped. As far as I know the interiors are already printing.
    Mark
    Mark

Blog Entries
    End of an era....

The final books arrived today, making a total of 46 Heinlein books.

The last haul of half a dozen books includes two volumes of screenplays by Heinlein, the last collection of his letters (Volume Three) and Tramp Royale, his non-fiction tale of terrestrial world-travelling.

The last book is an expanded edition of the tribute book Requiem, including some extra tributes and an Index for the Virginia Edition series. The cover includes an infamous Heinlein 'dilating door'!

It's only taken six years or so (!), but I now have a complete collection.

Now to continue work on those rereads. I am currently reading Sixth Column (aka The Day After Tomorrow) for the first time in about thirty years.

Mark
    Mark

THE VIRGINIA EDITION sample:

ROBERT A. HEINLEIN: THE VIRGINIA EDITION
    Ray Guns and Rocket Ships 1
    Letter to Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle
    about The Mote in God ’s Eye 13
    BEYOND DOUBT 35
    Letter to F. M. Busby on Freedom and
    Race Relations 53
    Letter to John Arwine on
    the Atomic Age 81
    WHY BUY A STONE AXE 89
    BRAVE NEW WORLD 105
    “ALL YOU ZOMBIES—” 111
    http://www.virginiaedition.com/ve/Th...ion-sample.pdf

Heinlein helped edit The Mote in God's Eye, interesting commentary.

psik

Blog Entries
    Thanks for that link, Psik. It's a shame that subscribers haven't had a copy of that sampler but it's not a bad representation of the volumes. It actually has colour illustrations that the original books haven't had, sadly.

As a result of Heinlein's suggestions, I understand Mote in God's Eye was reduced by about one-third. There have been rumours for many years of a 'Directors Cut version', with all of the edited material put back, but it is yet to be seen.

I'm still dipping in and out of the Heinlein series.

Space Cadet and the Red Planet reviews are done, to appear at a later date. I am quite enjoying the luxury of a reread.
    Mark