Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    author of Need for Magic swope01's Avatar

a pretty bad book

Hi,
    I just finished reading a pretty bad book. I guess I'd like to warn others away so they do not spend money on what I found to be a poor use of my limited funds and time.

I'm still kind of new on this forum, so I'm hesitant to bash a book. So, I will not mention the title unless others ask me specifically.

Joe Swope.

Not much point starting the thread if you're not going to name the book. So let's have it. But rather than just bashing it, maybe let us know what about it you didn't like and whether it had any redeeming characteristics at all.

Rogue Warrior
    Bet we know who it was............insert **maniacal laugh**

Was it Need for Magic - Joe Swope?

A lot of people who have read that can't talk about it afterwards.

Alright, settle down. We allow book covers as avatars and mention in the profile info. He's not pimping. He's actually trying to start a conversation, but checking on forum guidelines first -- we're overjoyed.

Joe -- It is not uncommon, as you will see, that people discuss their negative reactions to a work. So you can name it, say why you didn't like it, whether there was anything you did like or thought was okay. The book was bad for you; it might not be bad for others and they may argue with you about it, but you certainly can give your opinion.

First, check that the book was not from an author who has a separate discussion forum here at SFFWorld. Very popular authors who get discussed a lot such as Robert Jordan and George Martin have a special forum which we ask people to use when discussing only their work.

Second, if the author is popularly known, whether that author has a special forum here or not, you will get opposing views, sometimes passionate ones, as well as ones that agree with yours probably. Keep it civil and about the work in question, not personal. If they get personal, let a moderator know.

So the mystery title is?

author of Need for Magic swope01's Avatar

pretty bad book revealed

The title of the book is 'Dark Glory War.' The author is Michael A. Stackpole. It is written in the first person. The gist of the story is it is narrated from an old warrior who is telling how the saga began. The second biggest problem I have with the book is that the author seems to tell the plot. I know it is supposed to be a memoir, but the description and plot are pretty much flat. The biggest problem I have is that the main character is maybe 18 years old, out on his rite of passage quest and gets swept up in a huge saga, military campaign, and all around save the universe thing. As this untested man goes through his trials he kills untold number of bad guys. He seems to do it without fear, without a scratch as easily as I type. It just seems way too comic book like. Even experienced vets of combat get nervous and scared as hell. But, never does our young protagonist get scared. And by the middle of the book, he is famous, army-wide and becomes some kind of champion charged with taking down the 4 mythical demons who are all but unkillable. He kills them, of course. Oh, he and his two companions are the spitting image of Matt, Rand, and Perrin.

I can suspend a fair amount of disbelief, but towards the middle of the book I realized there was no drama. The boy was never in danger. Even if he was facing a hundred bad guys, never once did I as the reader get drawn in.

That is my 1.5 cents worth. I didn't see Michael Stackpole in the authors section. I hope this comes across as fair. Let me know if you want my copy.

Swope01

Rogue Warrior
    I have some lighter fluid & a Zippo.
    Thanks for the warning though Joe, Personally I haven't had any desire to read that author.

Ranke Lidyek
    Stackpole's Talion: Revenant is actually a near-great novel. I recommend it. However, I read his Cartomancy series and disliked it. He did "tell" quite a bit and nothing felt real, immediate, or compelling. I've not heard of Dark Glory War...

Ranke Lidyek
    But... at least you finished that novel. I tried three times to read Lies of Locke Lamora and each time ended up throwing the book down in disgust. Eventually, I'll suppress the gag reflex long enough to finish the novel...

Eventually.

Rogue Warrior
    Haha! I loved Locke Lamora! To each his own, I guess.

Couldn't be as bad as For a Few Demons More. That was a time I look back on and ask myself exactly what I was thinking....

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    Well, for a truly great bad novel, the list begins and ends with The Fifth Sorceress. A not very good novel that when read in a certain pharmacological manner ie pleasantly buzzed on alcohol turns out to be a great read. Or so I'm told. Haven't tried it yet, but plan on it. One of these days.

I read that series once. It was pretty bad. I put it down about halfway though

I agree with swope01's review. I started DGW twice and never made it past the halfway point. Stackpole's 1st person narrative style lacked suspense. Characters were introduced too abruptly within the first several chapters then were poorly developed, remaining "comic book like" as swope01 said. The lack of suspense made finishing the book unbearable, which is somewhat a shame because the three follow-up books in the series by Stackpole seemed interesting. It's probably possible to skip DGW and go directly to the second book, Fortress Draconis, which is written in the more familiar 3rd person narrative style. I think a fantasy story told in 1st person takes an especially talented author (such as a Robin Hobb in Farseer, or a Patrick Rothfuss in Name of the Wind) to carry it off properly -- i.e., maintaining suspense, allowing main characters to grow, while avoiding the "omniscient protagonist" pitfall commonly seen when the 1st person narrative is poorly executed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranke Lidyek View Post
    But... at least you finished that novel. I tried three times to read Lies of Locke Lamora and each time ended up throwing the book down in disgust. Eventually, I'll suppress the gag reflex long enough to finish the novel...

Eventually.
    Really?! I hadn't seen anywhere on these forums where you've expressed dislike for that book.